E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

2017 E300 Nothing But Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
?
Originally Posted by gfspencer
My wife got in her car and pressed the start button. Nothing happened. The screen said to remove the key from the key fob and insert the key in the door handle. What????? She was already INSIDE the car. THERE WAS NOTHING TO UNLOCK!!!!! The car is going to the dealership Friday for a 4th recall so I will have them look at the key fob too. What a piece of junk!

My wife has been driving a Mercedes since 1989, We have never had any problems with her previous cars. This one is terrible. The car has been in the shop for over 20 days. On three occasions I have had to make a second trip to the dealership because they didn't have a part or because they could not connect with Mercedes Germany for a firmware update.

I've talked to a Mercedes USA rep. I am supposed to talk to him again after the service on Friday.

If the new E-class is Mercedes' most reliable car they are in big trouble,
Please do yourself a favor. You should have not bought a first model year car. Doesn't matter if its Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Lexus, Toyota or a Ford. You will always have more problems with a first model year than anything. My heart goes out to you and your wife - hopefully there is a lemon law where you live. Don't fret and just take advantage of it.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 E300
Originally Posted by expresspotato
Please do yourself a favor. You should have not bought a first model year car. Doesn't matter if its Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Lexus, Toyota or a Ford. You will always have more problems with a first model year than anything. My heart goes out to you and your wife - hopefully there is a lemon law where you live. Don't fret and just take advantage of it.
You are exactly right about first model year cars. I should have know better.

I got a service printout from my dealership. I have had this car almost 18 months. It has been in for service 6 times. But for 4 of those services they didn't have the correct part or they couldn't make a software link with Germany so had to make another trip the next day. So I have actually driven to the dealership 10 times. (60 miles round trip each time/600 miles for repairs) Basically I am making trips to the dealership every two or three months. I'm glad that I am retired with nothing else to do. Yea, right.

When the car is running correctly it is a GREAT car. It is comfortable. It gets good fuel milage. Acceleration isn't bad. I just wish it would run correctly all the time.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:49 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe, 2016 Audi A6 3.0
N
Originally Posted by expresspotato
I would have no qualms about buying a Lexus nor a Toyota in its first year. I must say, Im a bit weary about the 18 E400 Coupe I purchased just 2 weeks ago. Don’t put a lot of miles on it. Wife drives it probably 400 miles per month if that. Hoping for the best. The body style may be new but the underpinnings, electronics, etc. are at least a year old.

Last edited by dudley07726; 12-13-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:08 PM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
Originally Posted by dudley07726
NI would have no qualms about buying a Lexus nor a Toyota in its first year. I must say, Im a bit weary about the 18 E400 Coupe I purchased just 2 weeks ago. Don’t put a lot of miles on it. Wife drives it probably 400 miles per month if that. Hoping for the best. The body style may be new but the underpinnings, electronics, etc. are at least a year old.
You have more faith in Lexus/Toyota than one of the local Lexus dealership mechanics I know. He also advised to avoid first-year cars, including theirs. My ~20 year experience driving Infiniti (Nissan) cars also shows the 'avoid first year' axiom to be correct as well.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:12 AM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe, 2016 Audi A6 3.0
Originally Posted by BeachBunny
You have more faith in Lexus/Toyota than one of the local Lexus dealership mechanics I know. He also advised to avoid first-year cars, including theirs. My ~20 year experience driving Infiniti (Nissan) cars also shows the 'avoid first year' axiom to be correct as well.
I don’t feel the same about a Nissan. I’ve had 3 Lexus, ES, GS, SC and they were all stellar in reliability. Now, things might have changed since their quest to become the largest car manufacturer.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 772 Likes on 610 Posts
I've had 4 lemon law buy backs - Toyota, Lexus, Jeep and GMC. None of them were first or second year models. I've owned at least one Mercedes E, S or SL since the mid 1960's and have not had a major issue with any of them.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E Wagon, 1984 911, 2017 E wagon
We currently own a 2014 wagon and a 2017 wagon. Previous we owned a 2008 wagon and a 2013 ML. We have driven the 4 cars over 250,000 miles.
all 4 cars were special orders to our specifications.
We have never had a problem with any of the cars.
Is it possible that the factory is more careful with a special order?
Old 03-20-2018, 03:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 E300 W213, 2014 GLK, 2003 ML350
two months ago I bought a 2017 E300, my sixth Mercedes. I love to drive the car, but even though it only had 7 k miles when I bought it I have had several major issues:
1) Center Console metal was flaking off when I bought it, and that was replaced. The dealer had several in stock waiting for complaints.
2) There was a rattle over my steering wheel on the dash. Dealer replaced it and once again had several in stock waiting for complaints. There was a part bruising against the metal girl on the dash. The fix was a piece of foam to stop the rubbing.
3) The microphone for the phone was very muffled. Nobody could hear me. Since I do a lot of business in my car, this was a huge issue. after several visits, the dealer found out there was a service bulletin that some insulation cover the mic up after shifting. They cut the insulation out and all was well.
4) Dealer is still trying to stop the sunroof from whistling.....

I hate the run flats, as you feel every bump. I can't waiting until they wear down so I can replace them with a conscience that I tried to be OK with them.
I wish I had the 400 engine in it, as I test drove an E400 for a few days and loved the sound and performance of that engine. Almost made me get a 2018 E400 sedan. But they were out of them and don't discount them when they are in stock.

It reminds me a few issues I had when I first got my 2003 ML 350, brand new. After the first wave of issues, I have not thought about any quality issues for the past 15 years and 215k miles. Still runs well,though it is starting to show its age.

With all of that I still love driving the car.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:50 AM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
E class, C class
For all the advance CAD, thousands of prototype design, years of real world testing, high tech manufacturing, not to mention 100 plus years of experience, MB still can't get it right? Hardware issues like rattles, metal flaking off, parts rubbing against each other, really shouldn't happen.
Old 08-27-2021, 06:48 PM

E350
Originally Posted by gfspencer
We have had my wife's 2017 for just over a year. It has been nothing but problems. It has been back to the dealership so many times that I have lost count. It won't turn off. It won't turn on. The control screen is nuts. I have given up on this car. I have a case file number now. I am waiting on Mercedes USA to call me.

Is anyone else having problems? Are there good cars out there?
I have had my 2017 E300 for just over 4 years (yep, just past the manufacturer's warranty) and the check engine light lit up solid (and flashed for about a mile) on the way home last Sunday. I had the car towed to the dealership 2 days ago. My service advisor called today to tell me that the car needs a new engine. Something bad (he didn't share details) happened with one of the pistons. That explains how a gasoline engine can sound like a diesel engine I suppose. Lots of angry knocking whenever I pushed down (even lightly) on the accelerator. That was major problem #3 with the car.

Problem #2: It had rained pretty hard one day (not torrential by any means!) which is still rare for Northern California, and shortly after that day, I was alerted about an "AUX Battery Malfunction". I discussed this with the dealership, and it didn't seem like a major issue until the fobs stopped being able to lock and unlock the car. After that, the car wouldn't recognize the fob to start the car. I discovered a work-around and got the car started. The dealership said that there were some tubes that were supposed to channel the water from the roof to the ground, but instead, they sent the water into a compartment under the floorboard, which is apparently where electronics are that control things like detecting the fob, starting the car, lock/unlock, and the brake hold feature (which also became disabled). After 3 weeks in the shop, they fixed all of the issues and had new carpets sent from Germany to avoid any future mold/mildew issues.

Problem #1: The sunroof somehow grabbed part of the rubber seal and kind of mangled it, causing the sunroof to no longer function normally. The dealership was able to resolve this after a few days. At the time it was resolved, I could not hear any wind noises from the sunroof when closed, but now it seems that the noises have returned. Ugh!
Old 08-27-2021, 07:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,834 Likes on 3,021 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by greg_e350
I have had my 2017 E300 for just over 4 years (yep, just past the manufacturer's warranty) and the check engine light lit up solid (and flashed for about a mile) on the way home last Sunday. I had the car towed to the dealership 2 days ago. My service advisor called today to tell me that the car needs a new engine. Something bad (he didn't share details) happened with one of the pistons. That explains how a gasoline engine can sound like a diesel engine I suppose. Lots of angry knocking whenever I pushed down (even lightly) on the accelerator. That was major problem #3 with the car.

Problem #2: It had rained pretty hard one day (not torrential by any means!) which is still rare for Northern California, and shortly after that day, I was alerted about an "AUX Battery Malfunction". I discussed this with the dealership, and it didn't seem like a major issue until the fobs stopped being able to lock and unlock the car. After that, the car wouldn't recognize the fob to start the car. I discovered a work-around and got the car started. The dealership said that there were some tubes that were supposed to channel the water from the roof to the ground, but instead, they sent the water into a compartment under the floorboard, which is apparently where electronics are that control things like detecting the fob, starting the car, lock/unlock, and the brake hold feature (which also became disabled). After 3 weeks in the shop, they fixed all of the issues and had new carpets sent from Germany to avoid any future mold/mildew issues.

Problem #1: The sunroof somehow grabbed part of the rubber seal and kind of mangled it, causing the sunroof to no longer function normally. The dealership was able to resolve this after a few days. At the time it was resolved, I could not hear any wind noises from the sunroof when closed, but now it seems that the noises have returned. Ugh!
@greg_e350 sorry to hear about the engine. It’s a growing problem for Mercedes and affects owners unfortunately. What is your next step? Will you have the engine replaced or move on to the next vehicle?
Old 10-27-2021, 03:53 PM

E300
2017 E300 Electrical Issues

Hello, I have a 2017 E300. I was driving to work on Monday and all of a sudden the alerts in the car went crazy it said - do not change gears, go to dealership, no blinkers working, power stearing wasn't working. The windshield wipers were turned off but running. The dash said no blind spot, no air bags, etc.
I pulled into a parking lot and was able to turn the car off but unable to start it again. Has anyone experienced these issues before? It was if the car was possessed. Currenlty it is at the dealership, they said that first they had to put a new battery in the car for $440 and then needed to run a diagnostic which costs $570. Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,834 Likes on 3,021 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Tell them to stop spending your money and tell you what they have found. Did they replace the battery and do the $570 diagnostic with or without your advanced permission? A basic XENTRY scan takes 15 minutes. The car is in the service bay so it really is 15 minutes. Sounds like they billed you separately and in full for each job which is rubbish.

I would have said battery based on the symptoms you described.
Old 01-11-2022, 01:42 PM

2009 MB E350
Wife’s 2017 E300 door swings right back as well. I also have a 2009 E350, the door never swings back. It’s actually ridiculous. It’s always been about the comfort and convenience that MB’s are known for that makes people buy Mercedes again, amongst other things of course. But just the little details that provide convenience and comfort which no one would really understand if they’ve never driven a Mercedes before has been taken away. But it’s not “The Best or Nothing” with MB anymore. That’s for sure. We bought ours as a CPO with remaining factory warranty on it, It has been to the dealership SO Many times. It’s ridiculous. I guess that’s Also a result of these Benz now being assembled in ALABAMA for the U.S. Consumers.
Old 01-11-2022, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 286 Posts
EQ
The Alabama plant is a SUV plant. The 205 C-class was made there for US customers for a while but that has ceased. E-class always made in Germany.
Old 05-11-2022, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 s430
I might have found my answer.