E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

2 Weird Sounds on a '17 E300

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 E300
2 Weird Sounds on a '17 E300

Hello everyone, first time post here....

My has a 2017 E300 4matic. I've noticed a couple of strange sounds. I took it in for the A service last week, had the techs check it out and was told this is normal. Which is odd, because one of the items (the ticking) was heard by the tech I went for a drive with. Then after it was in the shop for a few days, all of a sudden it was "normal". So before I go back, I figrued I'd get some input from others who may have the same issues.

1. On cold starts, there is a grinding sound that lasts for maybe 30-45 seconds and goes away. Only happens when the engine is cold. Next time I go back I will ask to hear one on the lot and compare how they sound. Anyone else notice this in theirs? I know saying a grinding sound is vague, but that's about how I can describe it.

2. On acceleration, there's sort of a fast ticking sound. The noise is there when accelerating and then also when releasing the gas it lasts for a couple of seconds. Doesn't seem to matter at what speeds or what gear it's in. I drove with the tech, he heard it, he described it almost as if it were a diesel engine, with that diesel engine ticking sound. Not as loud but at that speed. And even though he heard it, apparently it's normal. But it doesn't sound normal to me and I don't remember hearing it before. Now granted, it's my wife's car so I don't drive it often and maybe it has always been there, but it doesn't sound like it should be there.

Thanks for any insights.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Mercedes E300, W213
Originally Posted by epd00
Hello everyone, first time post here....

My has a 2017 E300 4matic. I've noticed a couple of strange sounds. I took it in for the A service last week, had the techs check it out and was told this is normal. Which is odd, because one of the items (the ticking) was heard by the tech I went for a drive with. Then after it was in the shop for a few days, all of a sudden it was "normal". So before I go back, I figrued I'd get some input from others who may have the same issues.

1. On cold starts, there is a grinding sound that lasts for maybe 30-45 seconds and goes away. Only happens when the engine is cold. Next time I go back I will ask to hear one on the lot and compare how they sound. Anyone else notice this in theirs? I know saying a grinding sound is vague, but that's about how I can describe it.

2. On acceleration, there's sort of a fast ticking sound. The noise is there when accelerating and then also when releasing the gas it lasts for a couple of seconds. Doesn't seem to matter at what speeds or what gear it's in. I drove with the tech, he heard it, he described it almost as if it were a diesel engine, with that diesel engine ticking sound. Not as loud but at that speed. And even though he heard it, apparently it's normal. But it doesn't sound normal to me and I don't remember hearing it before. Now granted, it's my wife's car so I don't drive it often and maybe it has always been there, but it doesn't sound like it should be there.

Thanks for any insights.
I’m experiencing the same exact sound from my 17 e300. Did you ever get the sound rectified?