E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Opinions on metal weave trim?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 09:47 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
BMW 5 Series, Buick Enclave
Opinions on metal weave trim?

For those of you that have the metal weave trim, or have seen it in person, what are your overall impressions of how it works with the interior of the E Class? How reflective is it? Thoughts on texture? How scratch resistant is it? In the pictures I've seen, it seems to pair nicely color-wise with the air vents and the Burmester speaker grills.

I am considering the AMG E43, and thought this trim might convey the right mix of sportiness and luxury for this model. I'm leaning towards the Selinite Gray exterior with the Nut Brown/Black Nappa leather interior and the AMG Sport steering wheel. I thought the metal weave would provide a nice contrast with this interior, but I also consider it a drawback that you are forced to take the Piano Lacquer center console (which is quick to show scratches, fingerprints and dust).

I am a huge fan of the natural grain black ash wood, but I don't want to overdo it with too dark of an interionr. I'm worried that there will be too much "black ash effect", or that it won't provide enough contrast with the nut brown/black interior. Thoughts?

- SCR

Last edited by SoCalRick; 11-20-2017 at 10:00 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
W213
Originally Posted by SoCalRick
For those of you that have the metal weave trim, or have seen it in person, what are your overall impressions of how it works with the interior of the E Class? How reflective is it? Thoughts on texture? How scratch resistant is it? In the pictures I've seen, it seems to pair nicely color-wise with the air vents and the Burmester speaker grills.

I am considering the AMG E43, and thought this trim might convey the right mix of sportiness and luxury for this model. I'm leaning towards the Selinite Gray exterior with the Nut Brown/Black Nappa leather interior and the AMG Sport steering wheel. I thought the metal weave would provide a nice contrast with this interior, but I also consider it a drawback that you are forced to take the Piano Lacquer center console (which is quick to show scratches, fingerprints and dust).

I am a huge fan of the natural grain black ash wood, but I don't want to overdo it with too dark of an interionr. I'm worried that there will be too much "black ash effect", or that it won't provide enough contrast with the nut brown/black interior. Thoughts?

- SCR
It's standard on the lowest spec cars in UK and Ireland (SE and Avangarde), looks like sh*t to be honest, not very mercedes, and it doesn't look great to me but this is 100% personal choice though. I've gone for Obsidian Black, with Nut Brown/Espresso Brown interior, and went with the gloss walnut (dealer ate the cost cause the lighter Ashwood which is standard on my exclusive model wasn't available) if you want something non-gloss, I'd go ashwood, and the 2018 models have options for different centre consoles but not metal as far as I know (it's also easily replaced with OEM parts). Also hope you're going for a pano roof because otherwise it'll be pitch black inside with a black interior.

There is a lighter Ashwood if you want to have a look at it, colour wise it's similar to the metal
Old 11-22-2017, 05:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w213 220d Aut, SE-Edition, Business Package, Night Package,

- SCR
I have a black interior. I choose that instead of the sh*t*y looking espresso/nut brown one. The metal wave trim look pretty good in my eyes. And my wife says it looks really nice. So far it is pretty scratch resistant.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by W213Sal
It's standard on the lowest spec cars in UK and Ireland (SE and Avangarde), looks like sh*t to be honest...
W213Sal, thanks for your response, but it sounds like you may be referring to the standard Aluminum trim and not the Metal Weave trim that I was asking about.

Here is a picture of the metal weave trim:

Metal weave trim

-SCR

Last edited by SoCalRick; 11-22-2017 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
current '17 C300 *sigh* ('19 E63S, '14 E63S, '08 535i)
Hey there SoCalRick

What did you end up deciding on for your interior? I have to admit the picture that you posted looks very similar to carbon fiber.

I've just started looking at specing a new E63 and am looking at ways to reduce costs, hence looking at metal weave in place of carbon fiber everything.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E Class S213
Aluminium trim is standard on UK cars. Metal weave is a £400 pound option.
I have it on mine and I love it. Hated the aluminium trim as it was the same as my old BMW and wanted something different.
Looks well with the black interior. It is very shiny and very smooth but not overly reflective
Old 03-03-2018, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by aoschadlin
Hey there SoCalRick

What did you end up deciding on for your interior? I have to admit the picture that you posted looks very similar to carbon fiber.

I've just started looking at specing a new E63 and am looking at ways to reduce costs, hence looking at metal weave in place of carbon fiber everything.
Yeah, I haven't taken the plunge just yet... I'm keeping an eye out for when the model year '19 order banks open up.
As for the metal weave trim; I like the way it looks, but am turned off by the piano black console that it pairs with. Given that, the black ash wood trim is probably my preferred choice.

-SCR
Old 08-02-2018, 07:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BMWX5, Audi SQ5
Thumbs up Nut Brown with Metal Weave

W213Sal, thanks for your response, but it sounds like you may be referring to the standard Aluminum trim and not the Metal Weave trim that I was asking about.

Here is a picture of the metal weave trim:

Metal weave trim

-SCR
Thanks for that Hi-Res pic. Your car is much like what I have in mind for ordering (E54 AMG, Nut Brown, Metal Weave trim,) My local dealer only had a 2018 E300 with Nut Brown MBTex and brown open pore wood to look at. It was underwhelming plus it was a 100 degree day when I sat in the car and I couldn't help but being distracted by the vinyl smell. Your pic looks tasty...almost like melted caramel candy. If the actual E54 looks this good in person, I think I'd order it without even see it first. BTW...Would you stick with the piano black center or opt for the brown wood center?
Old 08-03-2018, 02:26 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 E450 sedan
What year is this E54 you’re ordering HDEddie?
Old 08-03-2018, 02:36 AM

BMWX5, Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by CaptainE
What year is this E54 you’re ordering HDEddie?
MY 2019. Looks like your considering an E450?
Old 08-03-2018, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by HDEddie54
Thanks for that Hi-Res pic. Your car is much like what I have in mind for ordering (E54 AMG, Nut Brown, Metal Weave trim,) My local dealer only had a 2018 E300 with Nut Brown MBTex and brown open pore wood to look at. It was underwhelming plus it was a 100 degree day when I sat in the car and I couldn't help but being distracted by the vinyl smell. Your pic looks tasty...almost like melted caramel candy. If the actual E54 looks this good in person, I think I'd order it without even see it first. BTW...Would you stick with the piano black center or opt for the brown wood center?
Don't you mean E53?
Old 08-03-2018, 01:34 PM

BMWX5, Audi SQ5
OPPS! I meant the E53 for sure. Im a newbie in the MB world and hope to get the codes right pretty quick. I'll be driving a 2018 E43 next week at the dealer. It has 20" wheels with summer tires. I hope to get a sense of how it rides in the various suspensions modes.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OPPS! I meant the E53 for sure. Im a newbie in the MB world and hope to get the codes right pretty quick. I'll be driving a 2018 E43 next week at the dealer. It has 20" wheels with summer tires. I hope to get a sense of how it rides in the various suspensions modes.
I'm sure you're going to LOVE the E43. Gobs of power and fun to drive. I almost went with one, but wound up deciding on the E400, which is more than enough power for my driving style. I'm picking it up tomorrow.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:49 PM

BMWX5, Audi SQ5
P1, p2, p3 ?

Originally Posted by rbrylaw
I'm sure you're going to LOVE the E43. Gobs of power and fun to drive. I almost went with one, but wound up deciding on the E400, which is more than enough power for my driving style. I'm picking it up tomorrow.
Congratulations! Nice to have one that you saw, drove, and decided upon in person.
BTW...I have the 2019 DOG and I see option code for P1 but no option headings for P2 or P3. Is this explained elsewhere? In fact, P1 is not even listed for the E53. Can I assume its included?
Old 08-03-2018, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Congratulations! Nice to have one that you saw, drove, and decided upon in person.
BTW...I have the 2019 DOG and I see option code for P1 but no option headings for P2 or P3. Is this explained elsewhere? In fact, P1 is not even listed for the E53. Can I assume its included?
For 2019, they un-bundled many options into individual options, so you don't have to choose options bundled in a package you don't necessarily want. So, you're correct, there's P1, then all the other options individually (or at least grouped by category, such as Active Driving Assist). You can safely assume the E53, which has a much higher entry price includes the P1 options. And if you want the all digital instrument cluster, you have to buy it alone (though they still say limited availability) for $850. I haven't spent much time looking at the build options for the AMG, so maybe the all digital cluster comes standard in the E53. It did in the E43. That's the one option I really wanted in my car, which I'm sacrificing. Not that the analog instruments are great looking, because they are, I just liked the digital.

Last edited by rbrylaw; 08-03-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 05:15 PM

2019 E450 sedan
MY 2019. Looks like your considering an E450?
Yes I am. Ordered it today.
I drove the E400 and the E43.
The 43 was nice, but I don’t need engine noise or that much power. And the $ I save will pay for some nice clear bra and tint treatment!

Let us know if you get the AMG how that inline six is. (I also worried about replacing the 48 volt batt, living in AZ.)
Old 08-03-2018, 07:49 PM

BMWX5, Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by CaptainE

Yes I am. Ordered it today.
I drove the E400 and the E43.
The 43 was nice, but I don’t need engine noise or that much power. And the $ I save will pay for some nice clear bra and tint treatment!

Let us know if you get the AMG how that inline six is. (I also worried about replacing the 48 volt batt, living in AZ.)
Will do! I recently moved to the far side of Mars (Las Vegas) where weather extremes (average 30 in winter 115 in summer) can take its toll on a car's operating system. I don't know how batteries might be affected with the demands of my weather but I plan on getting Mercedes prepaid maintenance (assuming battery wear is covered) just in case. E43 engine noise? Coming from BMW i6 and V8's, Ive grown accustom to (and fond of) the sound of made by those motors. Several auto editors having driven the MB i6 commented on how smooth and quiet it is. It's the "quiet" that Im worried about so I most likely option for the U78 "AMG Performance Exhaust" just to error on the safe side (sound wise). But I know...(engine) sound is subjective just like music, everyone has their pitch.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 GL 350 blue tec
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
For 2019, they un-bundled many options into individual options, so you don't have to choose options bundled in a package you don't necessarily want. So, you're correct, there's P1, then all the other options individually (or at least grouped by category, such as Active Driving Assist). You can safely assume the E53, which has a much higher entry price includes the P1 options. And if you want the all digital instrument cluster, you have to buy it alone (though they still say limited availability) for $850. I haven't spent much time looking at the build options for the AMG, so maybe the all digital cluster comes standard in the E53. It did in the E43. That's the one option I really wanted in my car, which I'm sacrificing. Not that the analog instruments are great looking, because they are, I just liked the digital.
Digital cluster is standard on E53 also, getting head up display is a challenge.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by infamily
Digital cluster is standard on E53 also, getting head up display is a challenge.
Yes, digital cluster should be standard on E53. Living in Florida, polarized sunglasses are a way of life and with them, HUD isn't very legible. I'm not getting the digital display and I'm actually OK with that. While others may say the analog display looks like a cheap add-on, I don't see it that way. In fact, I think it's functionally attractive.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,239 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
The biggest issue with the metal weave is the black center fingerprint/dirt/scratch magnet. Which they would do it like in Germany where the center console trim can be selected separately from the other trim (except CF)
Old 08-07-2018, 05:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 E43 AMG
+1
Old 08-07-2018, 07:40 AM

2019 E450 sedan
+1
Old 08-07-2018, 07:48 PM

BMWX5, Audi SQ5
Originally Posted by Wolfman
The biggest issue with the metal weave is the black center fingerprint/dirt/scratch magnet. Which they would do it like in Germany where the center console trim can be selected separately from the other trim (except CF)
From what I see in the 2019 DOG, customers can option for a Brown Ash center console trim. Still glossy but at least it it has some swirly pattern to cut down a bit on finger prints. Or, elsewhere in this forum Ive read where folks replaced their center column from with the natural open pore black wood. Still, it would be nice if MB made all trims selectable. I wonder what the problem is (cost?)

Old 08-09-2018, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,239 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
From what I see in the 2019 DOG, customers can option for a Brown Ash center console trim. Still glossy but at least it it has some swirly pattern to cut down a bit on finger prints. Or, elsewhere in this forum Ive read where folks replaced their center column from with the natural open pore black wood. Still, it would be nice if MB made all trims selectable. I wonder what the problem is (cost?)
No issue with cost as the wood trims are the cheapest options.
Open pore will work but the laquered wood will still hold up better than the black plastic.
I like the CF the best for a sporty car (AMG) and wood trim for a non-AMG.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:48 PM

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts
2004 E55 K Wagon &. '96 SL500
Originally Posted by W213Sal
It's standard on the lowest spec cars in UK and Ireland (SE and Avangarde), looks like sh*t to be honest, not very mercedes, and it doesn't look great to me but this is 100% personal choice though. I've gone for Obsidian Black, with Nut Brown/Espresso Brown interior, and went with the gloss walnut (dealer ate the cost cause the lighter Ashwood which is standard on my exclusive model wasn't available) if you want something non-gloss, I'd go ashwood, and the 2018 models have options for different centre consoles but not metal as far as I know (it's also easily replaced with OEM parts). Also hope you're going for a pano roof because otherwise it'll be pitch black inside with a black interior.

There is a lighter Ashwood if you want to have a look at it, colour wise it's similar to the metal
Sorry no you've mixed up metal weave trim with the cheaper and nastier looking aluminium trim , which IS standard on many UK cars. The metal weave trim is a cost option and looks a bit like carbon fibre.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Opinions on metal weave trim?