E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Dumbest Owner's Manual legal disclaimers

Old 12-17-2017, 09:54 AM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
Dumbest Owner's Manual legal disclaimers

So, I picked up my '18 E300 late last night and I started flipping through the owner's manual. I think the manual could probably fit on 50 pages without all of the legal disclaimers! Worse, the disclaimers are absolutely idiotic. So, which ones have you found? Which ones do you think are the absolute dumbest thing you've heard? I'm by no means finished reading it, but here's a few I found to be pretty bad:

WARNING! Risk of fatal injury due to exposure to extreme heat or cold in the vehicle. (p. 54, 2018)

DANGER! Serious damage to health caused by swallowing batteries. (p. 59, 2018)

WARNING! Risk of entrapment when opening a side window. (p.73, 2018) - emphasis mine. How the hell do you become entrapped when OPENING a window? There's a matching one for closing a window, which I can understand but shouldn't need to be said. Oddly enough, there's no warning about closing the car door on your foot or finger, both which I sheepishly admit I've done over the years.

WARNING! Risk of accident due to the driver's seat not being engaged. (p. 84, 2018). Whilst the driver's seat massage was poking me rudely in my bum, it hasn't proposed marriage yet.

WARNING! Risk of accident or injury when using the cup holder while the vehicle is moving.
*Only use the cupholder when the vehicle is stationary. (p. 105-106, 2018) Well, damn. If they only wanted us to use it while stationary, why didn't they just leave the "cupholder" on the back of the glove box door like the old W123's?*Ensure that no liquids enter the mobile phone storage compartment. (p.111, 2018) -- Then why the hell did you place the cupholders in the same compartment!?

WARNING! Risk of becoming trapped if the windshield wipers are turned on while wiper blades are being replaced. (p.120, 2018)
Old 12-17-2017, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts
Those disclaimers are the price we pay for living in a litigious society.
Too bad the didn't put the disclaimers into another booklet that could be easily ignored.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:44 AM

Received 86 Likes on 80 Posts
16 GLC 19 Volvo XC40 06Corvette Z06
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by BeachBunny
So, I picked up my '18 E300 late last night and I started flipping through the owner's manual. I think the manual could probably fit on 50 pages without all of the legal disclaimers! Worse, the disclaimers are absolutely idiotic. So, which ones have you found? Which ones do you think are the absolute dumbest thing you've heard? I'm by no means finished reading it, but here's a few I found to be pretty bad:

WARNING! Risk of fatal injury due to exposure to extreme heat or cold in the vehicle. (p. 54, 2018)

DANGER! Serious damage to health caused by swallowing batteries. (p. 59, 2018)

WARNING! Risk of entrapment when opening a side window. (p.73, 2018) - emphasis mine. How the hell do you become entrapped when OPENING a window? There's a matching one for closing a window, which I can understand but shouldn't need to be said. Oddly enough, there's no warning about closing the car door on your foot or finger, both which I sheepishly admit I've done over the years.

WARNING! Risk of accident due to the driver's seat not being engaged. (p. 84, 2018). Whilst the driver's seat massage was poking me rudely in my bum, it hasn't proposed marriage yet.

WARNING! Risk of accident or injury when using the cup holder while the vehicle is moving.
*Only use the cupholder when the vehicle is stationary. (p. 105-106, 2018) Well, damn. If they only wanted us to use it while stationary, why didn't they just leave the "cupholder" on the back of the glove box door like the old W123's?*Ensure that no liquids enter the mobile phone storage compartment. (p.111, 2018) -- Then why the hell did you place the cupholders in the same compartment!?

WARNING! Risk of becoming trapped if the windshield wipers are turned on while wiper blades are being replaced. (p.120, 2018)

Agree, the Operator's Manual that came with my 17 M-B is the most poorly written manual I've ever seen.

Last edited by larrypmyers; 12-17-2017 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts
One can always delete all of the notice, danger and warning boxes from the pdf manual.
Keep the pagination or the index page numbers will be wrong.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:59 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Corvette/2017 E-300
Originally Posted by ua549
Those disclaimers are the price we pay for living in a litigious society.
Too bad the didn't put the disclaimers into another booklet that could be easily ignored.
They probably would have but someone would do something idiotic and then probably sue since it
wasn't included as part of the owners manual.