E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

2018 E400 Wagon - how’s your experience with Drive Pilot?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 06:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 E350 Wagon
2018 E400 Wagon - how’s your experience with Drive Pilot?

I got the new 2018 E400 Wagon specifically with P3 options, which comes with a bunch of driving assistances features that make up the Drive Pilot Suite. I have a 100 miles commute every day and after testing the DrivePilot feature for the last 4 days (day / night), I noticed the following:

1). The DrivePilot systems often get confused with where the lane marking is (it's clearly marked) and will steer to the left and then right and then left before driving straight. It'll do that again after a few minutes. If there is a cop, I may get pulled over because I am driving like someone who is drunk..

2). On a slight bent road, the car often try to turn, say to the left, but understeer and veered to the right. I have to quickly turn the steering wheel further to the left.

3). At night, even when there are cars on your left, right and front, #1 and #2 is even worse.

I know that this is just semi-autonomous and driver intervention is still required. However, the performance of this feature is so bad I rather get just the Distronic option, which is far cheaper.

Thoughts?
Old 12-29-2017, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
having used drive pilot for about a year, I have a few notes. I can observe all of your points but there are ways to make it better.

1) keep your speed at 65mph or below. This greatly increases the effectiveness of the turns. above 65, the car will not turn enough for a slight bend and end up crossing into another lane. If you are, for example, set at 45mph, the car will take surprisingly steep curves.

2) lane markings need to be very clear. I am not sure what lane markings they have in germany, but the car cannot recognize the raised light reflectors and needs to see either solid or the hashed painted lanes on the ground. Freshly paved highways with very dark roads with the contrasting white lines greatly improves drive pilot.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 E350 Wagon
Originally Posted by joshg1001
1) keep your speed at 65mph or below. This greatly increases the effectiveness of the turns. above 65, the car will not turn enough for a slight bend and end up crossing into another lane. If you are, for example, set at 45mph, the car will take surprisingly steep curves.
My commute is usually packed with traffic jam and semi-smooth driving (45 MPH - 70 MPH). However, I tend to slow down to speed limit (65 MPH) or lower, because I am still learning the Drive Pilot system. Even at 65 Mph or lower, I am still experiencing the ping-pong situation. I can’t go lower than 45 Mph on a freeway, though.

Originally Posted by joshg1001
2) lane markings need to be very clear. I am not sure what lane markings they have in germany, but the car cannot recognize the raised light reflectors and needs to see either solid or the hashed painted lanes on the ground. Freshly paved highways with very dark roads with the contrasting white lines greatly improves drive pilot.
Yes, the lane marking is very clear on the freeway that I drive (CA). I know there are a few patches on the road where the left line marking on the far left lane is not visibility and I anticipated that by taking control of the car. Everywhere else, the marking is super clear.

OTOH, I rented a V90 while I was in Amsterdam and it have the Drive Assistance system, too and I noticed the same problem with my E400. Maybe it’s the system itself?
Old 12-30-2017, 11:37 AM

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts
2018 E300
I read on here somewhere that it sometimes "ping-pings" to find the borders of the lanes and then it will settle down. Maybe do an experiment and let it do it's thing for a min and see if it settles out...
Old 12-30-2017, 12:11 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 E300 4Matic.
I have it on my 2018 E300 and I'm slowly getting used to it, and ... I like it more and more.

I generally use it while driving between 70 km/h and 120 km/h.

I've noticed it definitely prefers high speed expressways, because they have gentle curves, which it can then follow quite easily, without wavering too much.

I've also noticed it likes following another car, and will do so even if there are no lines, but I guess it could also follow a car off the road ...
Old 12-30-2017, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 298 Likes on 226 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
what I don't understand: sometimes it will be unable to follow the white lines, but when the car
then crosses said line, the lane keeping assist kicks in..?
Old 12-30-2017, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
lane keep assist only works on solid lines, like the outer left and outer right lane. It does not attempt to hold you into a lane with hashed lane markings. When my drive pilot veers out of its lane, it just keeps going and I can hear the steering wheel vibrate to warn of crossing the lane.

I also forgot to add that drive pilot doesnt recognize those lane markings for exit lanes where they use short wider boxes as lane markings
Old 12-30-2017, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 818 Likes on 649 Posts
Drive Pilot, a misnomer, is a driver assist feature, not a driver replacement feature.