E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Play MP4 MV file on SD card

Old 02-07-2018, 01:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 E300 4Matic
Play MP4 MV file on SD card

I am wondering if anyone has tried to play video file(mainly MP4) on their E class?

I tried downloading some un-protected MV video files(2-80MB each), copied to SD card and insert to the card reader. It can load the preview of the video file and play the song, the full screen mode is gray out and the preview image does not change.

I can play these MV files on computer or phone without any problem, and I tried with another large AVI video file(about 1.5GB), it can play without any problem.

Anyone had similar experience or know what could cause those video files not playing?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-07-2018, 05:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Corvette/2017 E-300
Originally Posted by sonichanxiao
I am wondering if anyone has tried to play video file(mainly MP4) on their E class?

I tried downloading some un-protected MV video files(2-80MB each), copied to SD card and insert to the card reader. It can load the preview of the video file and play the song, the full screen mode is gray out and the preview image does not change.

I can play these MV files on computer or phone without any problem, and I tried with another large AVI video file(about 1.5GB), it can play without any problem.

Anyone had similar experience or know what could cause those video files not playing?

Thanks in advance
I can play video files on my usb powered portable hard drive but only while the car is in park.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:05 PM

2018 E300 4Matic
Originally Posted by NYC-Style
I can play video files on my usb powered portable hard drive but only while the car is in park.
Thanks, I checked it only allows playing video when in parking gear.

Wonder if something like a iPad kind of display installed for back seat passenger, something can be hooked up with the car's media system to stream on those devices.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:32 PM

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts
2014 ML350 2w, 2017 GLS550, 1967 Pontiac GTO 4 sp
Originally Posted by sonichanxiao
Thanks, I checked it only allows playing video when in parking gear.

Wonder if something like a iPad kind of display installed for back seat passenger, something can be hooked up with the car's media system to stream on those devices.
This may be an alternative. Playon is great. I log into Netflix via Playon and download movies, series, etc. You transfer the files to Zoomgo (up to 64 gb mini sd card). Plug it into a socket or USB power source. An iPad will see it as a wifi source. Connect to it and then the iPad can play the files. I bought one and it works. The Zoomgo is the come on to get you to buy Playon, as getting movies, etc into a playable file isn't that easy.
https://www.playon.tv/blog/zoomgo-st...ick-for-playon
The following users liked this post:
sonichanxiao (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 09:22 AM

2018 E300 4Matic
Originally Posted by pjw1967
This may be an alternative. Playon is great. I log into Netflix via Playon and download movies, series, etc. You transfer the files to Zoomgo (up to 64 gb mini sd card). Plug it into a socket or USB power source. An iPad will see it as a wifi source. Connect to it and then the iPad can play the files. I bought one and it works. The Zoomgo is the come on to get you to buy Playon, as getting movies, etc into a playable file isn't that easy.
https://www.playon.tv/blog/zoomgo-st...ick-for-playon
Thank you.

It actually gives me some idea. As the car has WIFI hotspot function, I am thinking if it is possible to connect video files to the car, e.g. phone, SD card, and let other devices tablet, computer connect to the car's WIFI hotspot. For internet access, it definitely can, but if those devices can see the media files available within the WIFI hotspot, maybe it can play without additional device.

Otherwise, I guess any media device can host a WIFI network could do the job.