Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 03:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E250
E250 (W213) Ride Comfort - Family car ?

Hi all

[TLDR]
Is there much difference in ride comfort between a E250 AMG on 19” run flats vs non AMG E300 on 18” or E200 on 17” ?
Is that difference enough to make the E250 not a suitable family car?
Nb. Air suspension is out of budget
Is the W213 a solid car ?. all new model issues ironed out yet?

My better half and I recently learned that we will be having our second baby and have decided to upgrade our Golf to an E class (W213).
I’ve tested driven an E200 (17” rims) and today an E250 AMG (19” rims on run flats) and much prefer the noticable extra power of the E250. However, I have concerns about the ride comfort. Although the ride felt nice and planted and I could feel the road, I could not help thinking I should be buying an E-class for the comfort they are known for instead of a sportier car I may one day wish was more comfy.

In HK where I live, the E200, E250 and E300 come as set packages. You can add options but you cannot remove options so I cannot downgrade the E250 19” rims to say 18” or 17”. If I go for the E300 (18” rims), it costs the equivalent of extra 10,000 GBP as it includes leather seats and COMAND which I do not want but cannot remove or swap those options out. Also, as all options are taxed at 100%, it means everything costs twice the cost so getting everything will bankrupt me.

It has been suggested by a friend that I should get air suspension but a few drinking buddies discouraged with stories about the reliability and cost to repair in HK ( 2000 GBP per corner which MB sales today confirmed )

So, I am sort of stuck and would appreciate some advice from long term owners. Do I go for the E250 as my wife did sit in the back and thinks is more than comfy enough for her or do I go for a E200 on 17 or E300 on 18”” ?. I read somewhere the E250 and other models on 19” can get harsher and rattling can become an issue later on?

My own initial impression of the E250 ride was that it was a lively bordering on mildy harsh but after 45 mins, I liked it. I recall the E200 felt good initially but I later I found it a bit squiggy and heavier in turns. I appreciate it all takes getting used to so my feelings are not criticisms but I also think 45 t0 60 mins test drive just isn't enough to really get to know the car. I do plan to take it on another few drives.

Also, as the W213 is relatively young, was also wondering what issues I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by mister__p; 03-26-2018 at 04:01 AM. Reason: added Qs
Old 03-26-2018, 05:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w213 220d Aut, SE-Edition, Business Package, Night Package,
I have w213 220d with 18" both on winter and summer tyres.
I would avoid RFT if possible, Had that on my last Bimmer 5 series GT 20" M-rims - and it sucks!
I have driven the E 220d with 19" AMG and must honestly say that you won´t feel much diffrence.
Bigger diffrence from 17" to 18". SOunds strange but it is...

So go with the 250 and 19"...

BR
Axel
Old 03-27-2018, 03:00 PM

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts
2004 E55 K Wagon &. '96 SL500
I'm in the UK and have a 220d with AMG Line lowered passive suspension , and 19" with RFs.
The AMG line suspension is obvs stiffer but much better damped and less floaty in all modes than the SE or standard passive suspension.
There is some slight choppiness at low speeds almost entirely due to the Run flats though.
17 and 18" look far too small for this car though, so I'd get the 19 ( although the 20s look best ) but switch to non- RF tyres.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:06 PM

E250
Thanks Abill and Akash for your response

As RFs come with the E250 as std and cannot be optioned out, I will likely use them for a year or will replace at the first opportunity. I googled 245/40/R19 reviews and came across this site (http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre-Si...0-19-Tyres.htm) which rates Michelin PS4 and HP Zeros very highly. Will likely go with one of those.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:23 PM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
e300
I have the E300 sport w/19's RF's. Its bumpy on rough roads and of course pot holes. But I want the sporty drive. It depends on what your going for. The great thing about the E class is the option choice to get a more sporty set up or more comfort.

I have the MBTex, P1 package, steel suspension. I couldnt find a leather model at any dealer for less then $75k USD because they all had full options. But I like the MBTex, its great, I have no complaints. I would not recommend the air suspension, because of the cost to repair and longevity of them. I have seen countless S-class and GL's sitting on the ground because of their blown shocks. Why not go with a simple steel system that will never fail....just my 2 cents.
Old 04-01-2018, 02:11 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic
I recently test drove an e220d sportline french spec which had 20inch runflats and lowered sport suspension. The ride was not too harsh at all on what are admittedly pretty good roads here. However even on a rough ridged forest road the ride was not too harsh. The noise was something else.......but to be expected with run flats.

comfort is what I am seeking so I have optioned air suspension and 17inch wheels which I have been very pleased with on my current c class. I am leasing but I may keep this car once the lease expires. Even steel suspension has wear components as shock absorbers do need replacing albeit they are cheaper. And it seems even the springs are now prone to failure. A friend had to replace 2 of his on a 212 model eclass in at around 6yrs old and research indicated this was not unusual, and it is not just an mb fault but across manufacturers. It could be a UK issue as the roads there are poorly maintained these days.
Overall the 213 seems to offer a very good ride across the wheel size range.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:41 AM

E250
Last week, I test drove an E200 on 17s and an E250 on 19" RFT one after the other and decided to pull the trigger on the E250. The ride of the E200 was very comfy and quiet (72dB) but steering was rather numb and the body roll and lesser power left me thinking I was driving a heavier car. The E250 on the otherhand was slightly noisier (74dB) and less comfy but the drive and handling felt much much better. Even with the std adaptive steel lowered suspension, the ride comfort of the E250 was still above my comfort requirements so it was an easy decision.

In a couple of forums including this one, I have read some reports of rattling, ride harshness and high speed stability issues of the E220D AMG which I believe will be setup similarly (if not the same) to my E250 AMG. Are these issues just random bad apple reports - issues which affect a low percentage of early production cars? or are they characteristics of the W213 AMG on 19's with 677 suspension?

How long does it typically take for new model issues to get ironed out ?