E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Eco On-Off and what I did about it

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 09:08 AM

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Mercedes Benz e450 Wagon / Porsche 911 Cabriolet
I will definitely investigate "updating" the software to begin with ECO disabled. Regardless of the fuel savings (and I've seen some YouTube videos to indicate that it can be upwards of 5%), I remain unconvinced that the absurdly high number of daily restarts will not prematurely wear the engine or age the battery (despite assurances to the contrary). Furthermore, the still unpredictable nature of the stop/start makes quick turns from a rolling stop and heavy traffic very uncomfortable at best and potentially dangerous at worst. In the end, what really irks me is not having the permanent ability to disable it, and only enable it when desired. And yes, I understand that this is required to game CAFE standards. So I live with it. Nevertheless, once the 2019 version of the ECO disable software kit is for sale, I'll be "upgrading".

By the way, here's a very fun youtube video and transcript to watch/read on the topic. The author clearly has that Aussie style!
The following 2 users liked this post by nycebo:
lensjack (11-06-2018), wagonsrock (11-17-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 11:03 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
E450 Coupe
Originally Posted by nycebo
I will definitely investigate "updating" the software to begin with ECO disabled. Regardless of the fuel savings (and I've seen some YouTube videos to indicate that it can be upwards of 5%), I remain unconvinced that the absurdly high number of daily restarts will not prematurely wear the engine or age the battery (despite assurances to the contrary). Furthermore, the still unpredictable nature of the stop/start makes quick turns from a rolling stop and heavy traffic very uncomfortable at best and potentially dangerous at worst. In the end, what really irks me is not having the permanent ability to disable it, and only enable it when desired. And yes, I understand that this is required to game CAFE standards. So I live with it. Nevertheless, once the 2019 version of the ECO disable software kit is for sale, I'll be "upgrading".

By the way, here's a very fun youtube video and transcript to watch/read on the topic. The author clearly has that Aussie style!
Fun and informative, that video. Thanks!
Old 11-17-2018, 02:43 PM

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts
Porsche Cayman S, Mercedes W213, Nissan Titan, BMW X5, Chevrolet Suburban
Very informative video. And he makes a great argument for why the systems should have a manual off long-term option.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:38 AM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
E400
One of his better videos.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:44 PM

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts
2020 SL550. 2018 E400S4. 2014 CLS550
Originally Posted by Long Islander
I hate having to press the button to bypass Eco-Off each time I start the car, so I bought a device sold by Vladimir on Ebay for less than $150. It takes less than a minute to plug in and out of the OBD port next to the hood lever under the steering column. This leaves the Eco-Off the way you want it. It works on a 2018 E400 and there is nothing to install and is reversible in case you want to reverse it. BTW, Vladimir is a member of this forum.
Thanks so much for posting this. I received mine today, it installed in seconds just as shown in the video, and it works EXACTLY as described. I'm ordering one for my '14 CLS next.

Dave
2018 E400 Wagon
Old 12-10-2018, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 CLS550, 2005 Honda VTX 1300, 2015 Toyota Landcruiser
I found what appears to be the easiest of ways to defeat this ECO button foolishness. I am driving a 2014 CLS550, and after a little research I found a fuse in the fusebox located in the trunk, a red 10 amp fuse in slot number 91. I removed that fuse, started the car and after about two seconds, the green ECO light went out. Got in drove around town for 45 minutes and the car continued to idle at stop lights, no check engine lights or annoying shut-offs. I can't guarantee it will work on every MB, but would bet it will at least work with the W213. Give it a try, and let me know if it works.
Old 12-10-2018, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by cwelk87gn
I found what appears to be the easiest of ways to defeat this ECO button foolishness. I am driving a 2014 CLS550, and after a little research I found a fuse in the fusebox located in the trunk, a red 10 amp fuse in slot number 91. I removed that fuse, started the car and after about two seconds, the green ECO light went out. Got in drove around town for 45 minutes and the car continued to idle at stop lights, no check engine lights or annoying shut-offs. I can't guarantee it will work on every MB, but would bet it will at least work with the W213. Give it a try, and let me know if it works.
No Offense, but unless I knew this fuse was tied exclusively to the Eco Start/Stop feature, I wouldn't pull a fuse in my car. I've become quite adept at touching the button every time I start my car, which is the least expensive option of all.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:47 PM

I actually like the button when there's not traffic. Turning off at traffic lights is fine. It's during stop and go traffic that it makes me peeved. Anyway, I've already gotten used to fingering it off when I know there's traffic. Which is daily.
Old 12-11-2018, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 128 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
What that video proved to me was two things: One, that the so called wear-n-tear argument on the motor, starter, battery, etc., is basically just subjective opinion and nothing more; that technically, there is no proof that the eco-on/off system leads to premature wear. He makes cognitive arguments as to why this is just not the case and is pseudo-science.

Secondly, that the eco stop/start is only effective in highly urban stopped traffic situations to increase manufacturer MPG city ratings.....which is precisely when I choose to use it. Rush hour!! Sports traffic. etc. So when I choose not to use it, I just push the button off. Easy peasy! Believe me there are much bigger problems to worry about. In my case, disease and illness I have to live with.

This reminds me of the seat belt arguments back in the 50's and 60's! How dare the government force us to use these things! Oh, the hew and cry from some back then! How many of you drive without them now? I don't think I've seen anyone complain about the nag tone forcing you to buckle up. Everything is relative and timely so to speak. Oh, well.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:52 AM

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe C238
I have recently spent a stint in the UK for nearly 3 years where I was taking hire cars nearly everyday to get me to and fro work. Most of the vehicles were either BMW 5 or Mercedes E class. All had eco enabled so I did ask pretty frequently on their experience with wear, failure or general feeling of the feature. None had ever had a failure and basically stated that over the years the feature has matured to the point where they do not think twice about leaving it enabled. I must admit no driver could tell me if it actually saved them fuel!

Anyway, my point is that if this is good enough for extended duty cars it's good enough for me not to concern myself with wear & tear of the starter or engine components.

Last edited by MikeO3; 12-11-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2019 Mercedes E450
I was under the impression that the addition of “mild hybrid” technology mitigated the start/stop issues to a large degree.

Is is this not the case?

HBH

Old 12-11-2018, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by rustybear3
that the eco stop/start is only effective in highly urban stopped traffic situations to increase manufacturer MPG city ratings.....which is precisely when I choose to use it. Rush hour!! Sports traffic. etc. So when I choose not to use it, I just push the button off. Easy peasy!
Wait, you prefer it during rush hour or traffic? Ugh, I can't stand it then. I never seem to be stopped long enough before the engine needs to start right back up so I can inch forward another couple inches. Nah, I much prefer urban and suburban driving with it, light to light. Then, at lights, one is stopped for a minute or more and it makes perfect sense.

On rural roads or highways, it hardly matters at all.

I'm happy for the option; just wish that I could reverse it (off by default and I click it when I want it). But like you said, MUCH bigger things to worry about.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 CLS550, 2005 Honda VTX 1300, 2015 Toyota Landcruiser
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
No Offense, but unless I knew this fuse was tied exclusively to the Eco Start/Stop feature, I wouldn't pull a fuse in my car. I've become quite adept at touching the button every time I start my car, which is the least expensive option of all.
Non taken, Well after driving it for 24 hours all seems well. I did some more research and as far as can tell that fuse only has to do with the the auto start/stop system. I agree, that monkeying around with high end German cars is not always wise.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 128 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
Originally Posted by nycebo
Wait, you prefer it during rush hour or traffic? Ugh, I can't stand it then. I never seem to be stopped long enough before the engine needs to start right back up so I can inch forward another couple inches. Nah, I much prefer urban and suburban driving with it, light to light. Then, at lights, one is stopped for a minute or more and it makes perfect sense.

On rural roads or highways, it hardly matters at all.

I'm happy for the option; just wish that I could reverse it (off by default and I click it when I want it). But like you said, MUCH bigger things to worry about.
Depends on your rush hour...there are times when I can be stopped from 5 to 10 minutes. When I go to get my drug prescriptions at the Pharmacy, it can be as long as well.

I must be one of the lucky ones. My stop/start is so seamless, I can hardly tell at times it's on....mine is smooth and not jerky as some have complained about.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 772 Likes on 610 Posts
Many of our lights have a 4 or 5 minute cycle due to the computer controlled system. If traffic from one direction is heavy then everyone else has to wait while thru traffic and left turn traffic doesn't have to stop. During those busy times (4-6 hrs per day) I love eco. Unfortunately it doesn't work when the A/C is running (10-11 months per year).
Old 12-11-2018, 10:17 PM

Agreed all around. That's why I would never pull the fuse.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:17 PM

Received 124 Likes on 91 Posts
2020 MB E450 Estate, 2019 Kia Niro Touring
Sorry to pull up an old thread, but after picking up my new E450 wagon yesterday, and having limited experience with the Eco Start/Stop, I originally had questions and then some comments. With the help here, I did finally find out (now that I'm home) how to turn Eco Start/Stop OFF. Yesterday, in some traffic, it stopped a couple times; no big deal.

But tonight, went to a movie, then to a restaurant in heavy rain, at dark, VERY limited visibility, in new expensive car: pulled into a strange parking lot, trying to get turned around, looking out for traffic both ways, pull forward a few feet for better visibility, etc. and I found it was /constantly/ shutting off, unnerving this already unnerved driver, and I was about panicking. Seemed to hesitate just when I wanted it not to. I was really concerned about pulling out into traffic. Now knowing how to disable it, if it happens again, I'll immediately turn it off, if not off already.

On a (possibly) related note, I see on the Eco screen something like "1.6 extra miles" indicated. Is that possibly how many miles the car thinks the Eco Start/Stop feature has saved? If so, I can see using that to help determine what to do, under more ideal driving circumstances.
Old 01-03-2020, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 419 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Eco screen is not your problem.

On the center console there is a button with an "A" on it. That engages and disengages the stop/start function. When it is on an "A" will appear on your screen when the engine is running. When you press A on the console, left side, the "A: will disappear from your screen and the stop/start will be engaged.

I also have an E450 and if you have other questions PM me and I will be happy to respond - assuming I know the answer!

BTW, I too have the luxury styling with the same wheels, front grill and MB star on the hood: I think it classic and I love it plus the extra ground clearance!
Old 01-04-2020, 10:50 AM

Received 359 Likes on 233 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon, 2017 Z51 Corvette
Will the W213 go into 4Cyl mode (E63S) if the auto start/stop is turned off? With it off I don't see the 8cyl/4cyl icons.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C300 Sport
Originally Posted by Alan0354
Not true, When I first got my Rolex, I tried to keep it running less, if I don't wear it during the weekdays, I put it away and it stopped. That lasted less than 3 years and I had to bring it in. After that, I let it run 24/7, lasted 20 years before I had to bring it in.

read my post, I gave very detail explanation on oil circuilation. That's where it counts, if the engine oil is well circulate, very little wear. Just like it's a myth to baby the car, never step on it hard. Bigger part of the wear of the engine is the first few seconds after start because the oil stop circulating when the engine stops.
well the current industry experts seem to agree that it’s better to leave the watches unwound. Something to do with modern synthetic lubricants performing better and stopped parts won’t wear out.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:43 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts
2013 SL550, 2016 GLE350, 2016 GLC300
For anyone annoyed with disabling the start / stop feature each time, you can pick up one of our OBD programmers that retains "last mode" for this feature, you can take a look at our vehicle coverages HERE. Pick one up today!

Old 03-12-2021, 09:51 AM

Received 359 Likes on 233 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon, 2017 Z51 Corvette
Too bad it saves the ECO mode and not just the start/stop. I'd buy it if it did.