E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

We just bought a BMW!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 08:36 PM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
2023 EQS 580 SUV
We just bought a BMW!

I still have my GLS450 but it was time to get rid of the A6TDI. Since BMW is the only German brand offering Diesels and we wanted a diesel, we bought the 540d yesterday. It has so much torque and is so smooth and quiet, it makes me almost miss my ML350 bluetec. We didn't get the M-Paket and the BMW is still a tad stiffer and sportier than I would have liked but it feels really solid and the street noise insolation is way better than in the E-Class. We drove the E300 about a year ago and we were a little disappointed with the road noise and the cheap feel of the dashboard considering the price. Our BMW also has wireless charging for the iPhone and apple car play via bluetooth, not sure if that's an option in the E-class now, in the GLS it's not. Mercedes needs to step up the game and I really hope they bring the Diesel back especially the new I6!
Old 05-07-2018, 01:38 PM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
e300
I was in the same camp as you, wanted a diesel and MB didn’t offer one. The reason I didn’t get the BMW is the interior and exterior styling is a bit dated. Some love the minor updates but I wanted something new. The BMW 5 series is a great car I can’t argue with that. I actually like the 4-cyl in the E, it’s a great motor and I’m happy with it. The diesel I’m sure is a torque machine, all diesel’s produce huge torque. Congrats on the car it’s very nice
The following users liked this post:
Strafzettel (05-07-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 06:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
W213
Originally Posted by Strafzettel
I still have my GLS450 but it was time to get rid of the A6TDI. Since BMW is the only German brand offering Diesels and we wanted a diesel, we bought the 540d yesterday. It has so much torque and is so smooth and quiet, it makes me almost miss my ML350 bluetec. We didn't get the M-Paket and the BMW is still a tad stiffer and sportier than I would have liked but it feels really solid and the street noise insolation is way better than in the E-Class. We drove the E300 about a year ago and we were a little disappointed with the road noise and the cheap feel of the dashboard considering the price. Our BMW also has wireless charging for the iPhone and apple car play via bluetooth, not sure if that's an option in the E-class now, in the GLS it's not. Mercedes needs to step up the game and I really hope they bring the Diesel back especially the new I6!
why diesel? I live in europe so the gasoline is extortionate price, hence why I bought a diesel E class (available here), if I lived in america I would definitely buy gasoline (my old E class was gasoline). Even if you do a lot of miles, I don't think it makes much sense.

For ref I average about 4.5L/100Km on my E200D (53MPGus, 62MPGuk), the E300 gasoline does about 30MPGus, so the cost is 23mpg..... 1 gallon here is about 5€, or 6.25$... I think i'd actually be saving money by driving an E300 in america vs E200 here.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 93 Posts
The best or nothing
Diesel makes no sense unless you are a taxi driver.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:30 AM

2023 EQS 580 SUV
Originally Posted by W213Sal
why diesel? I live in europe so the gasoline is extortionate price, hence why I bought a diesel E class (available here), if I lived in america I would definitely buy gasoline (my old E class was gasoline). Even if you do a lot of miles, I don't think it makes much sense.

For ref I average about 4.5L/100Km on my E200D (53MPGus, 62MPGuk), the E300 gasoline does about 30MPGus, so the cost is 23mpg..... 1 gallon here is about 5€, or 6.25$... I think i'd actually be saving money by driving an E300 in america vs E200 here.
The 6 cylinder diesel is a much better drive than the 4 cylinder gasoline engine. It has so much torque that acceleration is just effortless and the engine is at most times between 1500 - 3000 rpm's and never goes above ~4500 rpm's. It's so smooth and quiet that it feels luxurious. The sound of the 4 cylinder gasoline engine does not have that luxurious feel to it and it feels more hectic when you need some power and it starts down shifting and revs up to 6000 rpm's. Even my GLS450 I'd rather have with the new I6 Diesel engine if it was available vs the V6 gasoline it has. Here in the US it is totally normal to commute 100Km a day for work, so you would figure out quickly how much money you save driving a diesel, there is no point in arguing about that.
I'm from Europe too and I always thought if I lived in America I'd get a nice V8 because gas is cheaper... I've been here 13 years now and I've never owned a V8, so would what you think you would do if you lived here and what you'd actually do is probably not the same ;-)
Old 05-08-2018, 08:31 AM

2023 EQS 580 SUV
Originally Posted by Jan AMG
Diesel makes no sense unless you are a taxi driver.
Our 4 year old A6TDI had 100000 miles (160000KM) on it and we are not taxi drivers ;-)
Old 05-08-2018, 10:12 AM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Congratulations. I've been thinking about the 540 diesel to replace my Jaguar 5.0 V8. The 540D has almost as much hp as the 540i and is 6 cylinder rather than 4, so it's good alternative. BTW, we got 31 mpg on our E400 wagon on a long trip, which is much higher than that which we used to get on our E350 wagon on a similar trip.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:58 AM

W213
I've been here 13 years now and I've never owned a V8, so would what you think you would do if you lived here and what you'd actually do is probably not the same ;-)
This is definitely true I was in California for a few months on etime and had a toyota prius work car, thing had 218,000 miles on it (moon miles nearly), and was still going strong, I would put in 16$ worth of gasoline every other week and drive the **** out of it. I would probably be trying to save even more money rather than enjoying extra HPs Hope you enjoy the bimmer

I drove the a6 3L quattro tdi on the autobhan and it is a beast (got it up to 230-240km/hr) my E never goes more than 2k RPM and the 2L diesel is very smooth, I would have gone for the 3L but even my car came out at 62.5k€ with options (negotiated down to 57.5k€) and the 3L would have come down to about 5-6k more, and in Ireland the bigger engines are more expensive with regards to tax and insurance so I didn't really see a point. I think the main beauty is the 9speed gearbox, even though the 7th/8th gear ratio feels too long i think.

Did you test drive the new A6 by any chance? What did you think? When I bought my E, the old A6 didnt appeal to me at all, the S90 was my 2nd fav followed by the BMW, but I think if I test drive the new A6, I might beat the BMW looks awesome in the videos. Do you guys get diesel Volvos?

Also kinda **** you don't get the A class in america, the new one looks pretty amazing and there is a sedan version coming (it will be available in the 2L diesel here not sure about 3L).
Old 05-08-2018, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 797 Likes on 629 Posts
We have the A Class - CLA and GLA. No A Class sedan.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:39 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe, 2016 Audi A6 3.0
Originally Posted by ua549
We have the A Class - CLA and GLA. No A Class sedan.
what made you get the CLA? I always remember the C&D article about that car that they didn’t want purchasers of it to think it was representative of a true MB. Their quote; “pay half for a MB, get half of a MB.”
Old 05-08-2018, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 797 Likes on 629 Posts
Originally Posted by dudley07726

what made you get the CLA? I always remember the C&D article about that car that they didn’t want purchasers of it to think it was representative of a true MB. Their quote; “pay half for a MB, get half of a MB.”
I did not buy either of the A Class offerings though I was tempted to get the CLA 45 with 375 HP. I was simply responding to your statement.

Also kinda **** you don't get the A class in america, the new one looks pretty amazing and there is a sedan version coming (it will be available in the 2L diesel here not sure about 3L).
Old 05-08-2018, 08:02 PM

2023 EQS 580 SUV
This is definitely true I was in California for a few months on etime and had a toyota prius work car, thing had 218,000 miles on it (moon miles nearly), and was still going strong, I would put in 16$ worth of gasoline every other week and drive the **** out of it. I would probably be trying to save even more money rather than enjoying extra HPs Hope you enjoy the bimmer

I drove the a6 3L quattro tdi on the autobhan and it is a beast (got it up to 230-240km/hr) my E never goes more than 2k RPM and the 2L diesel is very smooth, I would have gone for the 3L but even my car came out at 62.5k€ with options (negotiated down to 57.5k€) and the 3L would have come down to about 5-6k more, and in Ireland the bigger engines are more expensive with regards to tax and insurance so I didn't really see a point. I think the main beauty is the 9speed gearbox, even though the 7th/8th gear ratio feels too long i think.

Did you test drive the new A6 by any chance? What did you think? When I bought my E, the old A6 didnt appeal to me at all, the S90 was my 2nd fav followed by the BMW, but I think if I test drive the new A6, I might beat the BMW looks awesome in the videos. Do you guys get diesel Volvos?

No we didn't look at the new A6. They don't offer diesels here anymore and our 2014 A6 felt like a Fiat compared to the new BMW. It's quick and gets good gas mileage but the TDI engine is not as smooth and refined as Mercedes or BMW diesels. The noise insolation wasn't good, there was an annoyance with the breaks they never fixed and the handsfree call quality was bad. When I'm trying to have a conversation and have to repeat myself constantly it gets very aggravating. We looked at the Volvo C30 10 years ago and drove stick and automatic version. The automatic transmission was horrible so we got the Accord V6 instead. I don't think Volvo offers diesels here and all they offer now are 4 cylinders, so no Volvo for us. We are lucky here, the size of the engine makes no difference in how much tax we pay. The new A Class would be too small for me but it has the best infotainment system from what I've heard and the front looks like a small CLS, very nice.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:05 PM

2023 EQS 580 SUV

I think they said on http://www.jesmb.de that the A class sedan is only available in China
Old 05-09-2018, 03:57 AM

W213
I think they said on http://www.jesmb.de that the A class sedan is only available in China
It's actually definitely coming to Ireland cause I saw it advertised on local dealer's FB page. I didn't see the A class on the MBUSA website that's why I didn't think you had the hatch (We don't have a configurator on the irish MB site so always have to use the UK or USA configurators so wanted to play around!)