Autonomous Car Crashes in USA

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
Originally Posted by parkwood
Very interesting post. I have a 2015 S205 with the driving assist package and am awaiting my S213 due next month.
On the S205 the car does have an audible warning if you take your hand off the wheel for longer than the allowed time as well as the warning graphic changing from green to red though this does not display in the HUD. The chiming gets more insistant the longer you leave it (we have several long straight empty motorways here in France).
I think the system comes into its own in stop start motorway jams which I happily hardly ever encounter but I appreciate every aid going to assist me in day to day driving as I am after all in charge of a lethal machine and human. We all make mistakes and anything that helps me not too is welcome.
Can anyone else confirm the warning chime in the e has been removed? That would seem a retrograde step to me.
The warning chime for hands off the wheels are there. The chime I'm talking about is the alert that steer assist has disengaged. It doesn't chime, so you need to be watching for it actively to ensure it's still steering on it's own. Just highlighting the difference between Tesla's Autopilot, which lets you know when it has disengaged both on the cluster, as well as an audible alert.