E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Zoom on Android Auto maps and other issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 06:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E220d
Zoom on Android Auto maps and other issues

My experience with Android Auto in the E-class is abysmal. I have the following issues with the system:
  1. The screen size which is ridiculous. But that is Google's problem since they do not support the resolution of the E-class screen.
  2. The steering wheel controls do not work on AA.
  3. Navigating through the menu's is very slow using the wheel in the console. I had hoped they would remap the hardware buttons of the car to AA when I'm in AA. So pushing the Navigation button in the car should switch to the navigation tab in AA and not that of the car. The same with the phone and media button. They all should be remapped as soon as I'm in AA so that I don't have to fiddle with the wheel in the console.
  4. The controls in the navigation apps (Maps or Waze) are next to unusable. They pop up when I fiddle with the wheel and then I have to select them and turn the wheel and so on. In general a very lengthy process not suitable to be used while driving.

Now with all these problems with Android Auto I rented a car (Kia Niro) while on vacation and that car had AA support. That car had also a touch screen. My view on AA changed completely! Suddenly AA was fully usable. The missing piece in my experience was the touch screen. Suddenly I was switching from navigation to Spotify to phone in 1 click. I was able to search destinations, change settings with a few touches. And the most beautiful thing: Maps was fully responsive, zoomable and scrollable. AA started within seconds in the Kia while in the E-class my infotainment system was still starting up at the end of my street. The E-class has a miserable implementation of AA in comparison.

So I started looking for any hope of getting at least the zoom function to work in AA. I mean: we have a freaking mouse pad in the car. In AA Maps I tried to pinch zoom and for a millisecond Google Maps seems to want to zoom but then the zoom controls on the right side just pop up and I have to use the stupid console wheel again.

Does anyone know of any tips or tricks for using AA in the E-class? I know that clicking the middle button on the touch pad brings up a menu so that I can skip and rewind for songs playing on AA. Also the middle console in the dashboard can be used to control the media playing.

My dealer is no help either. The last time I was there there were no updates for the car. I had hoped for them at least to fix the timing of the notification to take an exit while navigating with the car navigation. The notification comes up around 1 KM from the exit. Which is way too short. But alas, the people at Mercedes probably don't drive their own cars to see what a pile of s*** their infotainment and navigation system is compared to others. Maybe they only drive Mercedes and don't know about the experience in other cars.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 E300, 1960 190SL, 1961 190SL
Originally Posted by goldme21
My experience with Android Auto in the E-class is abysmal. I have the following issues with the system:
  1. The screen size which is ridiculous. But that is Google's problem since they do not support the resolution of the E-class screen.
  2. The steering wheel controls do not work on AA.
  3. Navigating through the menu's is very slow using the wheel in the console. I had hoped they would remap the hardware buttons of the car to AA when I'm in AA. So pushing the Navigation button in the car should switch to the navigation tab in AA and not that of the car. The same with the phone and media button. They all should be remapped as soon as I'm in AA so that I don't have to fiddle with the wheel in the console.
  4. The controls in the navigation apps (Maps or Waze) are next to unusable. They pop up when I fiddle with the wheel and then I have to select them and turn the wheel and so on. In general a very lengthy process not suitable to be used while driving.

Now with all these problems with Android Auto I rented a car (Kia Niro) while on vacation and that car had AA support. That car had also a touch screen. My view on AA changed completely! Suddenly AA was fully usable. The missing piece in my experience was the touch screen. Suddenly I was switching from navigation to Spotify to phone in 1 click. I was able to search destinations, change settings with a few touches. And the most beautiful thing: Maps was fully responsive, zoomable and scrollable. AA started within seconds in the Kia while in the E-class my infotainment system was still starting up at the end of my street. The E-class has a miserable implementation of AA in comparison.

So I started looking for any hope of getting at least the zoom function to work in AA. I mean: we have a freaking mouse pad in the car. In AA Maps I tried to pinch zoom and for a millisecond Google Maps seems to want to zoom but then the zoom controls on the right side just pop up and I have to use the stupid console wheel again.

Does anyone know of any tips or tricks for using AA in the E-class? I know that clicking the middle button on the touch pad brings up a menu so that I can skip and rewind for songs playing on AA. Also the middle console in the dashboard can be used to control the media playing.

My dealer is no help either. The last time I was there there were no updates for the car. I had hoped for them at least to fix the timing of the notification to take an exit while navigating with the car navigation. The notification comes up around 1 KM from the exit. Which is way too short. But alas, the people at Mercedes probably don't drive their own cars to see what a pile of s*** their infotainment and navigation system is compared to others. Maybe they only drive Mercedes and don't know about the experience in other cars.
I feel your pain! When I complained to the Dealer's Product Concierge about the crappy navigation system he suggested I use Android Auto for navigation. My experience was also less than satisfactory.