E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Unresolved issue - suspension or wheel/tire - PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 12:28 AM

Received 107 Likes on 91 Posts
2021 M550i
Unresolved issue - suspension or wheel/tire - PLEASE HELP!

So I picked up my 2018 E300 sport on Jan 2, 2018 and took my car to service 4 times already and the issue is still not resolved....

Long story short there is a certain vibration in the front end that feels like I have a bent rim. Took the car to MB service and they have re-mounted and balanced all 4 wheels on ROADFORCE balancer and rotated the wheels. They claim there is no bent rim and the tires are perfectly mounted and balanced and has no issue whatsoever on the balancer.

Since then, I still felt no difference and have taken it back to service 3 times and have went on test drives with 3 different service technicians and shop foremans. They all indicate they do notice something but cannot pinpoint to what the exact problem is...

So the strangest part is that the vibration is the worst during the first 2 -3 miles every morning, it feels like i'm on an airplane with strong turbulence. Then it becomes less noticeable after 2 - 3 mins on the highway. One recommendation from service was that the tires needs to warm up.... but what all-season tire needs to warm up?? this is unheard of- as these aren't some super summer sport tires, Also, by the time I drive it over to the dealership its already warmed up so its kinda hard to replicate the strong turbulence.

Any ideas what the issue may be? With my lack of knowledge I am now thinking it may be the shocks? Perhaps they are not rebounding like they are designed to?

For a long time i just thought it might be the Hankook tires that i got and that it might just be a real hard tire... but still it shouldn't be this badddd....

Please help!!! all ideas are welcome!!! =)
Old 05-30-2018, 02:19 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Weekend: 2010 SL 350 r230 Weekdays: 2018 E220d Coupe
Engine mount? Engine vibrating more when cold?

Probably unlikely, but I’m trying to think outside the box...
The following users liked this post:
jhpmbusa (05-30-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 02:35 PM

2021 M550i
Originally Posted by arnsbrae
Engine mount? Engine vibrating more when cold?

Probably unlikely, but I’m trying to think outside the box...
Appreciate the thought! - Let's keep it going!
Old 05-30-2018, 03:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Have shop foreman or lead tech test drive vehicle with you to confirm complaint. Since this will be your fifth visit request they submit PTSS (MB technical support) case to assist in resolving the problem.
jhpmbusa (05-30-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 03:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E250
1. What suspension do you have ? air, sport or adaptive 677 ?
2. Do you feel vibes when the car is stationary ?
3. At what speed do the vibes appear ?, is there a increase in intensity with speed ?
4. Any unusual noises in the cabin ? and with windows rolled down ?
5. Where do you feel the vibes ? seat of pants and/or through the steering wheel?
6. So it appears after 2 mins on the highway, does it go away after some time ?
So you could be on the highway travelling at say 100km/h smoothly and then the vibes suddenly begin ?
7. Are using any cruise control or any other intelligent feature that controls the car at the time the vibes occur ?
Old 06-01-2018, 12:06 PM

Received 135 Likes on 103 Posts
2015 ML350+2021 E350
Originally Posted by mister__p
1. What suspension do you have ? air, sport or adaptive 677 ?
2. Do you feel vibes when the car is stationary ?
3. At what speed do the vibes appear ?, is there a increase in intensity with speed ?
4. Any unusual noises in the cabin ? and with windows rolled down ?
5. Where do you feel the vibes ? seat of pants and/or through the steering wheel?
6. So it appears after 2 mins on the highway, does it go away after some time ?
So you could be on the highway travelling at say 100km/h smoothly and then the vibes suddenly begin ?
7. Are using any cruise control or any other intelligent feature that controls the car at the time the vibes occur ?
If I might add to this excellent list...

Does light braking effect the vibration? Brake rotor or pad issues would normally be diminished by this.
Does shifting into N while moving affect the vibration? I don't remember reading whether you are 4Matic or RWD.
Does it always begin as the more severe vibration regardless of how long the car rests, or is it only severe when cold starting?
jhpmbusa (06-01-2018)
Old 06-01-2018, 12:21 PM

2021 M550i
Originally Posted by mister__p
1. What suspension do you have ? air, sport or adaptive 677 ? SPORT
2. Do you feel vibes when the car is stationary ? - Nope only when driving.
3. At what speed do the vibes appear ?, is there a increase in intensity with speed ? - Will increase with speed, but is usually noticeable when coasting on nice smooth roads. Not as noticeable when accelerating, but at constant speeds
4. Any unusual noises in the cabin ? and with windows rolled down ? - I do not think so at all.
5. Where do you feel the vibes ? seat of pants and/or through the steering wheel? Steering Wheel and the pedal.
6. So it appears after 2 mins on the highway, does it go away after some time ? Doesn't go away fully, but more noticeable during cold starts - if not driven for longer periods of time, like during commute at 830 and like 530 pm. I jump right onto the highway for both commutes.
So you could be on the highway travelling at say 100km/h smoothly and then the vibes suddenly begin ? Vibes do not suddenly begin, but always there. If I zone out or play loud music and not pay attention - only then do i not think/notice it.
No features just driving.

I have answered next to your questions.
THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE HELP!!!

Last edited by jhpmbusa; 06-01-2018 at 12:21 PM. Reason: adding more info
Old 06-01-2018, 12:23 PM

2021 M550i
Originally Posted by Cao Black
If I might add to this excellent list...

Does light braking effect the vibration? Brake rotor or pad issues would normally be diminished by this. Yes, I do notice it when i gently press the brakes. It is apparent during coasting, light touch to the accelerator and brakes,
Does shifting into N while moving affect the vibration? I don't remember reading whether you are 4Matic or RWD. 4 Matic, never shifted into N while driving, but if I put it on cruise control it is noticeable as it will cruise/coast at a constant speed.
Does it always begin as the more severe vibration regardless of how long the car rests, or is it only severe when cold starting?
Cold Starts.

I have answered next to your questions.
Thanks so much for the help!

Last edited by jhpmbusa; 06-01-2018 at 12:23 PM. Reason: adding more info
Old 06-02-2018, 11:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E250
I am no MB expert but as a ex-mechanical engineer, the first things that would come to mind excluding brake/wheel related causes are

(1) engine balancing to be bad. Not necessarily the cranks/pistons, but something heavy mounted to the main engine assembly which rotates at a low enough frequency to cause such a noticeable vibration
(2) A component is out of spec and/or assembled improperly causing excessive friction/binding/turning moments
(3) Timing, ECU, belts

Having read your answers to the questions, I would suspect the 9G-tronic gearbox as the problem and would have MB check it. Goodluck
Old 06-03-2018, 07:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the same issue with my 18 e 300. Mainly between 60-70

it feels like a bent rim.

I have good year tires. Dealer balanced one but it did nothing.

Seems like a widespread issue.

Be interested in what results you get.

I have owned multiple MBs and never had an issue.

Could it it be the 4 cyl engine or transmission ?
jhpmbusa (06-03-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 07:39 PM

2021 M550i
Originally Posted by sderose
I have the same issue with my 18 e 300. Mainly between 60-70

it feels like a bent rim.

I have good year tires. Dealer balanced one but it did nothing.

Seems like a widespread issue.

Be interested in what results you get.

I have owned multiple MBs and never had an issue.

Could it it be the 4 cyl engine or transmission ?
So i had the same 4cyl in both of my c classes and never had this issue. One thing I do suspect is the 9 speed transmission as it does feel kinda boggy when driving with a higher gear at a lower speed.. For example when you are driving a manual car and if you are in 3rd or 4th gear going only 20 miles. So considering this can be an issue I have manually changed to lower gears, but that did not resolve the issue either.

I think the bogginess that comes from the transmission is felt in the steering wheel, but the bent rim feel I feel like it in the pedals and the whole front of the car..

Is this what you are feeling/relate to as well?.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:48 PM

Yes. Same thing. I feel it in the floor and the wheel. Funny I did the same thing. I shifted down to a lower gear and it was still there.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:17 PM

2021 M550i
okay picking up my car sometime this week, the dealership did the alignment, mounting and balance and replaced the back pads and rotors. will see if this actually fixes anything...

Interesting how I thought the front was vibrating - but they same it was coming from the rear brake and rotors?? confused..
Old 12-14-2018, 11:44 AM
JK2

2017 E300 4MATIC
Curious if anyone else would describe their vibration as cyclical. Mine is about 0.5 s vibrating, 0.5 fine, repeat. Slight vibration, easy to miss .I've been in for two visits so far, supposedly road force balacing turned up no issue .Getting frustrated.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:57 AM

2021 M550i
Originally Posted by JK2
Curious if anyone else would describe their vibration as cyclical. Mine is about 0.5 s vibrating, 0.5 fine, repeat. Slight vibration, easy to miss .I've been in for two visits so far, supposedly road force balacing turned up no issue .Getting frustrated.

Did did replace my rear brakes which has made it a bit better... but the vibration is coming from the front end....like steering and pedal... havent gone back yet...