E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Door Molding Plastic Smell? Off-gasing new car smell

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 01:14 PM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
e300
Door Molding Plastic Smell? Off-gasing new car smell

I noticed a plastic smell coming from the door weather-sealing right away when I got my E. It was bad for a few months and I had to open my windows at times to get that smell out. Its been ~6 months and the smell very faintly there....its 90% better then before.

Has anyone noticed a plastic smell from the weather stripping? BTW I noticed this in a Range Rover too. It was a new Velar 2018 model, I was at the dealer and jumped in one outside and MAN it was like in your face, I left the door open.....it was chemical bath in there.

Maybe I am being overly conscious but I dont know how toxic this stuff is to breathe and I was contemplating bringing it to the dealer to have them replace or treat them....idk what do you guys think?
Old 06-02-2018, 07:25 PM

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2018 E400 4Matic
I think you are probably just more sensitive to that smell. I can't see where your car would get a batch of weather stripping that would be so different from the thousands of other cars MB makes.
I'd get a second opinion from a friend or spouse.
It's summer now and the outgassing will get maximal with our heat. Bad news is it will probably smell a bit more. Good news is it will all be cooked out by fall.
The following users liked this post:
mobster600 (06-03-2018)
Old 06-02-2018, 07:45 PM

Received 135 Likes on 103 Posts
2015 ML350+2021 E350
Originally Posted by mobster600
I noticed a plastic smell coming from the door weather-sealing right away when I got my E. It was bad for a few months and I had to open my windows at times to get that smell out. Its been ~6 months and the smell very faintly there....its 90% better then before.

Has anyone noticed a plastic smell from the weather stripping? BTW I noticed this in a Range Rover too. It was a new Velar 2018 model, I was at the dealer and jumped in one outside and MAN it was like in your face, I left the door open.....it was chemical bath in there.

Maybe I am being overly conscious but I dont know how toxic this stuff is to breathe and I was contemplating bringing it to the dealer to have them replace or treat them....idk what do you guys think?
Maybe more sensitive than others but...
One of many reports on the toxic "new car smell".

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...ar-smell-toxic
mobster600 (06-03-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 07:50 AM

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 mercedes GLE 43 coupe
https://www.seattletimes.com/nwshowc...s-a-dark-side/

..Some people seem unaffected by the chemicals. In others, they can trigger immediate symptoms such as headache, irritation of the eyes and throat, and disorientation.

Fortunately, off gassing of chemicals such as benzene, xylene, formaldehyde, toluene and styrene has dropped ..........

...Pliable plastics (soft-touch dashboards, vinyl seating and door panels) offgas chemicals at a greater rate than many other materials. That’s because the plasticizers added to polyvinyl chloride to give it a supple feel begin to vaporize when the car’s interior gets very hot. Have you ever seen a thin, hazy film appear over time on your windows? Those are the plasticizers, and they can be annoying to clean....

....much of the chemical release happens in the first half-year of the car’s build date. The release accelerates in hot weather. “Baking out” a new car by leaving it in the sun with the windows cracked helps the plasticizers evaporate and vents those chemicals from the car.

The chemicals bond with dust, so vacuuming and wiping down the surfaces during the car’s first year helps, too.

mobster600 (06-04-2018)
Old 06-04-2018, 07:38 PM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
e300
Thanks for the info. You never know what goes into products these days, all the manufacturing for plastics is in China and I don't trust their quality control. You gotta do you own quality control...