E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Fuel economy for 2018 E300?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 241 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
I'm really sorry to say this but why is fuel economy even relevant for owners of an E class? Is it just for sh*ts and giggles or do you guys actually care?

//flame suit on.

I'm GENUINELY curious here. I certainly haven't looked at fuel economy for a car since I was in University....and I respect differing opinions. I'm just curious here!
Old 08-31-2018, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by Cao Black
The Top Tier terminology sort of came about because of additives. There was no real verification of the claimed benefits. Years ago Shell touted "Platformate". Platforming is a part of the refining process that all refiners use. They all have platformates, just not the clever advertising for it.

Now days the additives (which may include odor and color as well as detergent) may help slightly, but the minimum standard is set without them. Fuels are much more uniform than in the past. There will always be disagreement about which brand is best. Buy what you prefer, but feel confident that any "top tier" is accepted by auto makers. AFAIK all the major brands qualify.

<<I'm a former Shell and Chevron dealer>>
Umm, if you are a former Shell/Chevron dealer, you should know the importance of a certain amine particle in the detergent of both Shell and Chevron dealer that helps the detergents survive the initial combustion cycle and thus should help with intake valve buildup as part of those detergents will make it past the PCV valve to get "reburnt" along with all the other crap. The PEA molecule is what is spectacular about Shell/Chevron gas. That said other top tier detergent manu. don't have this so it's a marketing scam.

I would hope you know the above. It's a big deal in the world of direct injected engines, and is a main reason why I do not ever fill up from a non Shell dealer (no Chevron where I live). It's a force of habit when I owned a Direct Injected Audi.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:02 PM

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts
Porsche Cayman S, Mercedes W213, Nissan Titan, BMW X5, Chevrolet Suburban
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
I'm really sorry to say this but why is fuel economy even relevant for owners of an E class? Is it just for sh*ts and giggles or do you guys actually care?

//flame suit on.

I'm GENUINELY curious here. I certainly haven't looked at fuel economy for a car since I was in University....and I respect differing opinions. I'm just curious here!
I’m impressed with the technology. The car impresses me in many ways and its fuel efficiency is yet another positive attribute.
The following users liked this post:
superangrypenguin (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 11:06 PM

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts
2015 ML350+2021 E350
Umm, if you are a former Shell/Chevron dealer, you should know the importance of a certain amine particle in the detergent of both Shell and Chevron dealer that helps the detergents survive the initial combustion cycle and thus should help with intake valve buildup as part of those detergents will make it past the PCV valve to get "reburnt" along with all the other crap. The PEA molecule is what is spectacular about Shell/Chevron gas. That said other top tier detergent manu. don't have this so it's a marketing scam.

I would hope you know the above. It's a big deal in the world of direct injected engines, and is a main reason why I do not ever fill up from a non Shell dealer (no Chevron where I live). It's a force of habit when I owned a Direct Injected Audi.
Are you saying then that if there are no Shell or Chevron retailers where you live you should NOT buy a Mercedes?? Of course you aren't. That would be silly. So is the chemistry lesson. I am not a chemist, and didn't claim to be. I responded to a comment about buying at Costco. To repeat, I would not be concerned because Costco almost certainly buys from "a major", and according to the list I linked above, almost all major oil companies make top tier gasoline. They make if because the auto makers wanted some standard for fuel that would not leave combustion chamber deposits. Which one of them is the cleanest of the clean I couldn't say, and quite frankly don't care. If you and other do, that's terrific. I wasn't criticizing anyone or promoting any particular brand. I do know something about gasoline, and my advise (worth what it costs) is to buy top tier premium grade. Anything more is not even implied.

Check this out:
https://clark.com/cars/top-tier-fuel-detergent-gas/

Last edited by Cao Black; 08-31-2018 at 11:14 PM. Reason: added AAA article
Old 09-01-2018, 01:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts
2017 E300

//flame suit on.

Literally just a game. My old 09 C350 with its V6 and pretty much same horsepower output did the same trip and I was hypermiling and struggling to get past 30mpg. I think my record in that car was 31. Anyway, its cool to me that technology allows me to get the 39.6mpg on the same road. It really is impressive and I also like closing all the three rings on the ECO screen.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Originally Posted by Cao Black
Are you saying then that if there are no Shell or Chevron retailers where you live you should NOT buy a Mercedes?? Of course you aren't. That would be silly. So is the chemistry lesson. I am not a chemist, and didn't claim to be. I responded to a comment about buying at Costco. To repeat, I would not be concerned because Costco almost certainly buys from "a major", and according to the list I linked above, almost all major oil companies make top tier gasoline. They make if because the auto makers wanted some standard for fuel that would not leave combustion chamber deposits. Which one of them is the cleanest of the clean I couldn't say, and quite frankly don't care. If you and other do, that's terrific. I wasn't criticizing anyone or promoting any particular brand. I do know something about gasoline, and my advise (worth what it costs) is to buy top tier premium grade. Anything more is not even implied.

Check this out:
https://clark.com/cars/top-tier-fuel-detergent-gas/
No, I'm just saying that if there is a Shell or Chevron fuel retailer nearby, that it would be preferable to go there, notwithstanding the fact that Shell dealers up here in Canada have 0% ethanol in the Premium line (91). I'm unsure about Chevron as it's been several years but ultimately speaking having 100% fuel for DI engines does make a pretty big difference as ethanol adds to the issue of fuel dilution on DI engines, especially since our engines can't enter super lean/high compression modes due to the sulphur content in our fuel. Shell premium is also priced the same as, say, Esso premium, so going out of one's way (for all intents and purposes) to get Shell fuel, as an example, is a win win for both us, our cars, and our wallets.

That's all.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic

//flame suit on.

No offense (take the flame suit off! :-), but the implication you're making is people who can afford a higher end car, aren't concerned with fuel economy. Saving money is one thing for sure. But perhaps knowing we're depleting less of the worlds oil and gas reserves is a good thing too?
Old 09-01-2018, 03:28 PM

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts
MB W213 E300 4MATIC Luxury Model
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
No offense (take the flame suit off! :-), but the implication you're making is people who can afford a higher end car, aren't concerned with fuel economy. Saving money is one thing for sure. But perhaps knowing we're depleting less of the worlds oil and gas reserves is a good thing too?

Well said, last time I checked this wasn’t the AMG forum with a need for power and speed. I had the 2000 G500 with a V8 and it was unnecessarily powerful with only 12-15 MPG. I definitely didn’t purchase if for the power consumption but still would have preferred not having to spend $75 per tank 2-3 time per week. At that time my daily commute was approximately 110 miles per day round trip. Most luxury car manufacturers are starting to use hybrid and mild hybrid to achieve greater fuel efficiency and increase HP at the same time. I absolutely love my car for all it is and it’s capabilities. I have driven friends in Sports and Sports+ mode and they were blown away and thought it was a V8. I had to pop the hood and show them what was under it

The following users liked this post:
rbrylaw (09-01-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A car
Yes, for sure. That is a valid point and not one that I have thought of, mainly because (if I'm allowed to be 100% transparent) it is not something I generally concern myself with (and yes, I appreciate that may attract some hate and such but I believe we're still allowed to have our own opinions!)
Old 09-01-2018, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Yes, for sure. That is a valid point and not one that I have thought of, mainly because (if I'm allowed to be 100% transparent) it is not something I generally concern myself with (and yes, I appreciate that may attract some hate and such but I believe we're still allowed to have our own opinions!)
You are more than welcome to have your own opinion. For me, I appreciate I can have a luxury vehicle and still help with lowered emissions and gasoline consumption.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:54 PM

Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts
Porsche Cayman S, Mercedes W213, Nissan Titan, BMW X5, Chevrolet Suburban
I’m unconcerned about my carbon footprint. Technology impresses me however. I don’t desire to judge anyone for whether they have a 12 cylinder or even a 16 cylinder engine. I believe people should get what they can afford and I leave it at that.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
W213

//flame suit on.

Petrol is 6.39USD/usgallon where i live if it was that expensive in your area you'd care or you'd be on the toyota forum discussing your new corolla
Old 09-03-2018, 07:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 772 Likes on 610 Posts
Fuel is the least costly part of owning a car even at $6.39 per US gallon. I've had my car for a year. For the year it has averaged about 18 mpg and consumed 168 gallons of fuel at a cost of a bit more than $500. Maintenance including cosmetics costs more than that.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:59 AM

W213
Originally Posted by ua549
Fuel is the least costly part of owning a car even at $6.39 per US gallon. I've had my car for a year. For the year it has averaged about 18 mpg and consumed 168 gallons of fuel at a cost of a bit more than $500. Maintenance including cosmetics costs more than that.
this is only true if you have an expensive car for example i spend about 4% of the value of the car on fuel (around 20,000km/yr @ 4-5L/km @ 1.4€/L) if you drive a cheap car, with a worse fuel economy you'll be spending a much bigger % every year on fuel, i currently spend around 4%, of 60k€ that's around 2000/yr, if I had a corolla I'd be spending the same on fuel but it would be 10% of the value of the car

18mpg is pretty **** poor i get over 55, close to 60 usMPG on my W213
Old 09-03-2018, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I do all stop and go town driving. A typical trip of a mile or two is only 10 or so minutes. We have lots of traffic signals on 3+ minute cycles.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:50 AM

W213
Originally Posted by ua549
I do all stop and go town driving. A typical trip of a mile or two is only 10 or so minutes. We have lots of traffic signals on 3+ minute cycles.
hows your tire wear been? I rotated mine back in june 2 will probably need to be changed out next year Mine is pretty much all mixed driving, I leave for work around 6:30 and its a 25 min commute with me doing about 140-150kph some of the way then in traffic or at 80kmh rest of the way, on the weekends/evenings there would be a good bit of city driving (public transport is doesn't exist here in any meaningful way)
Old 09-03-2018, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have not measured the tread depth, but it seems to be OK. The Florida sun is hard on tires. I usually replace tires due to weathering sidewalls rather than tread wear.