E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Comand Online NTG 5.5 connectivity issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 01:50 PM

Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts
2018 E63S
Your car seems not to be on a stage where I can see the options. Guess you have to wait until it is more or less finished in production if MB UK cannot confirm.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:20 PM

Received 94 Likes on 72 Posts
Mercedes E220d AMG Line Estate (S213) and Mercedes E220d AMG Line Cabriolet (A238)
We know it's built, reckon just have to wait for the July upload of VINs from the factory. But thanks anyway.
Old 12-17-2018, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E220 (W213)
Sorry to resurrect an old post - but did anyone manage to get tethering working on UK car with Comand ? I presume the Comand means there is a Hermes connection and thethering is disabled ? Or is there any way to use RSap ??

Thanks. Don't see why I should have to purchase a Vodafone data contract on top of my mobile one :-(
Old 12-17-2018, 09:11 AM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
E Class Estate S213
I have a MY2919 and there is no way to tether via phone if you have Comand Online. However, my connection is 4G (with Vodafone) and quite fast. Plus you can have a number if passengers connected whereas with phone direct it is only one at a time I think.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E Coupe (2018)
Sadly not. Here in the UK, there is current no way to tether to your phone to use the phone's internet. Mine is a March '18 model, and it has the Hermes 3G module. In June '18, they updated the model to include the Hermes 4G module. I wish I knew, as I would have waited. I have been into the dealership and it cannot be retrofitted (apparently).

Like you, I didn't want to take out a second contract just for Internet in the Car (with Vodafone), especially since it costs so much and provides so little. I had it for a trial month (free) but didn't see the point in it - not on 3G due to the awful bandwidth (delay in loading, buffering, instability, reception, etc.). After the month trial expired, I didn't renew. But most stuff continued to work. Such as Navigation search online, In Car Office, Weather (which is slow).

I use Android Auto to connect my phone and use Spotify to stream music. Its not what I wanted, but at least it uses my phone's 4G internet and provides a good, reliable service.

I spoke to the delearship recently, the chap told me they (MB) are releasing a MirrorLink device anytime now, that sits in the centre console, which enables the MirrorLink option (currently disabled in Engineering Mode). I don't know what the price is. But something to consider.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:15 AM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
E Class Estate S213
MirrorLink is included in my car but only works with Android phones not iPhone.
Old 12-17-2018, 09:19 AM

E Coupe (2018)
Yes, MirrorLink is designed for Android phones only. It is not for iPhones - which uses Apple CarPlay integration.

What-is-mirrorlink
Old 12-17-2018, 09:39 AM

E220 (W213)
Great responses, thanks - well not great news, but I expected as such. Just like the remote start we also do not have in the UK.

I too now use Android Auto for better navigation (well the traffic part) and I listen to BBC radio podcasts. Shame, because the Mercedes Maps looks nicer. And I was hoping for using my mobile data so that the kids could wifi on long journeys using my data allowance.

Would love to have the Engineering Mode enabled - I saw Android Auto over WiFi on there.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:55 AM

Received 74 Likes on 69 Posts
MY19 E450 4MATIC Coupé
Also not cool that remote parking got the chop here in the UK.

Not to mention, I put my car in Sport+ over the weekend and was disappointed that there was no change in exhaust sound as I've seen (heard) in numerous YouTube videos with cars in other countries.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:45 PM

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Mercedes Benz e450 Wagon / Porsche 911 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by pedderd
Would love to have the Engineering Mode enabled - I saw Android Auto over WiFi on there.
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa, there. Android Auto over WiFi? Unless you know precisely how to enable this in the US, you're specifically responsible for dropping my productivity at work to zero until this is resolved via full on internet searches!
Old 12-17-2018, 12:55 PM

Received 74 Likes on 69 Posts
MY19 E450 4MATIC Coupé
Originally Posted by nycebo
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa, there. Android Auto over WiFi? Unless you know precisely how to enable this in the US, you're specifically responsible for dropping my productivity at work to zero until this is resolved via full on internet searches!
hahaha, yeah that's been playing on my mind too :-)
Old 12-17-2018, 01:01 PM

E220 (W213)

Hold up - Mirrorlink over WiFi, but still...
Old 12-19-2018, 05:04 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic
French spec car del 18th sept has 4g lte and in the apps one called mercedes link which does not work with my s9......

the internet connection is ok but expensive when i already have a good data plan however it does stay connected much more than when using the phone to run data via android auto.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:25 AM

ML 320 99; ML 320 2001; ML350 2003
nightmare

Originally Posted by clinkadink
Is anyone else experiencing issues with the NTG 5.5 Comand Online, especially the connectivity side of things?? Or is it just me?

A week ago I traded my CLA for a new E class coupe (2018), with Comand Online, Premium Plus, twin screens, and all the tech extras. I am enjoying the car but not having a lot of luck with the Comand Online.

Everything is setup on Mercedes Me, I was made to register with the "Internet in the Car" service to make use of the online extras. But have since found the service to be reminiscent of dial-up in the 90s. All the "online" are slow to load, if they load at all, as many error. Such as Mercedes-Benz Browser, Apps, Link, Internet Radio, POI, etc. I noticed Comand Online is only using a 3G UMTS connection, which is more than 10 times slower than 4G. But to make matters worse, when I did mange to connect the browser, I ran Speed Test, and it said I was connecting to a server in Frankfurt ... over 3G! I have also noticed that because of the onboard modem, the option to tether to my phone and use the phones internet has been removed. Making the whole "online" side of things dead in the water.

There are lots of other niggles. MirrorLink is disabled, it can be enabled, but only if I can access Engineering Mode (secret menu). Holding down the centre jog wheel doesn't work for me. Also, no-ones at MB knows what "Mercedes-Benz Link" does under the "Connect" menu. It doesn't launch and just errors.

I have posted a video hear in case it helps anyone work out what is wrong with this ....

Mercedes-Benz E Class "Comand Online" issues

I have already reported this to MB, but were unable to offer any advice so far. I will be returning to dealers this weekend if I can't get it sorted.

Cheers in advance for any pointers.
Hi all,I“m experiencing a nightmare with my W213 2018. I“m unable to have internet access. I tried everything I could, but although I have the extended screen (12.3 inch), and the car recognizes the phone (Samsung Galaxy S10e) it does not “share” internet through Hotspot. Also it does not accept to connect directly through LAN (meaning wifi internet at home) and unfortunately the local dealer gave me an ambiguous answer but not a solution.

For me, its very frustrating because in the other Mercedes I currently driving ( 250 GLC Coupe 2017) connectivity worked without any problems.

Also, I would like to emphasize that I“m unable to modify or change the DATE (YYYY/MM/DD)….because I cannot access thorough internet…simply amazing
Old 01-31-2020, 12:06 PM

E Coupe (2018)
Originally Posted by JMFC
Hi all,I“m experiencing a nightmare with my W213 2018. I“m unable to have internet access. I tried everything I could, but although I have the extended screen (12.3 inch), and the car recognizes the phone (Samsung Galaxy S10e) it does not “share” internet through Hotspot. Also it does not accept to connect directly through LAN (meaning wifi internet at home) and unfortunately the local dealer gave me an ambiguous answer but not a solution.

For me, its very frustrating because in the other Mercedes I currently driving ( 250 GLC Coupe 2017) connectivity worked without any problems.

Also, I would like to emphasize that I“m unable to modify or change the DATE (YYYY/MM/DD)….because I cannot access thorough internet…simply amazing
In UK, until June 2018, the telematics module was only 3G. After then, they switched to 4G. Sadly, mine is 3G. I don't even bother with it, it is not fit for purpose. That also sums up the rest of the Comand Online in the W213 2018 models. They look lovely, with 24" of LCD screen with no physical instruments. But the software is bag of ****e. So much so, I have reverted to using Android Auto - bypassing all other MB infotainment. Local dealerships have little or no experience in the finer details of Comand Online. For that, I found it better emailing their dedicated team: mercedes_me_connect@cac.mercedes-benz.com
Old 02-02-2020, 01:49 PM

Received 115 Likes on 78 Posts
S63 AMG Cabrio
The bluetooth tethering that worked in 5*2 is not available anymore in 5*5...........crazy but true. They want you to use their expensive Vodafone Internet subscription.........it is worthless, Apps don't work very good (see TuneIN problems with https, etc.), so let's hope in MBUX tethering is possible again.............
Old 02-06-2020, 03:20 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
2021 CLS 400d
on a side note, I tried opening the web browser today and I got this message:

Has this happened to others? Or just me.........

I remember BMW doing this same thing with their web browser a few years ago (in the UK at least).

(P.S. I have a 2019 S213 Saloon)

Last edited by SunnyC257; 02-06-2020 at 04:59 PM. Reason: my 4G is working again, so I've removed that section of my post
The following users liked this post:
Amgieke (02-13-2020)
Old 02-06-2020, 05:06 PM

S63 AMG Cabrio
Yes, I have exactly the same since yesterday: the built-in browser stopped working........"Free browsing disabled"...........why? I have still 40Gb left in my (Vodafone) account (and that certainly is not free!). Can not imagine paying for this anymore, since the only 2 features are TuneIN (does not work with HTTPS, so all major commercial stations are left out) and web browsing (also NOT working anymore). All the other MB Apps (Weather, HERE, POI) work also without the paid Vodafone credits (but are unavailable several times a month....).

In the pre-facelift S63, with COMAND 5*2, all worked flawlessly, and also using the data bundle on your smartphone via Bluetooth Tethering......this is disabled by MB in COMAND 5*5.

It seems all one big scam to let you pay more for less.........let's hope somebody of MB or AMG is reading this, will also post this in the AMG Private Lounge.

Last edited by HAWKiS63; 02-06-2020 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:48 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
2021 CLS 400d
Originally Posted by HAWKiS63
Yes, I have exactly the same since yesterday: the built-in browser stopped working........"Free browsing disabled"...........why? I have still 40Gb left in my (Vodafone) account (and that certainly is not free!). Can not imagine paying for this anymore, since the only 2 features are TuneIN (does not work with HTTPS, so all major commercial stations are left out) and web browsing (also NOT working anymore). All the other MB Apps (Weather, HERE, POI) work also without the paid Vodafone credits (but are unavailable several times a month....).

In the pre-facelift S63, with COMAND 5*2, all worked flawlessly, and also using the data bundle on your smartphone via Bluetooth Tethering......this is disabled by MB in COMAND 5*5.

It seems all one big scam to let you pay more for less.........let's hope somebody of MB or AMG is reading this, will also post this in the AMG Private Lounge.
They should just allow us to use tethering. The COMAND 5*5 system allows the car to serve as a Wi-Fi Hotspot, so surely the hardware is already there for it to be able to connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot itself, e.g. my iPhone with 'Personal Hotspot' switched on.
Old 02-07-2020, 08:00 AM

S63 AMG Cabrio
Unhappy

Originally Posted by SunnyCL500
They should just allow us to use tethering. The COMAND 5*5 system allows the car to serve as a Wi-Fi Hotspot, so surely the hardware is already there for it to be able to connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot itself, e.g. my iPhone with 'Personal Hotspot' switched on.
The tethering function is there also in COMAND 5*5, but disabled and hidden in the Engineering Menu
Miss my COMAND 5*2 on times like this!
Old 02-13-2020, 01:22 PM

W205 AMG-line
Same here
My car won't connect to the internet anymore, when I try to use the browser, I get this message on the display:
Freebrowsing disabled
The free-browsing feature has been disabled. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Mercedes-Benz AG

I went to my dealer because the car is still in warranty and I have an active internet in the car subscription, but they don't have a solution and are searching.
Maybe you can help me quicker?

Thanks
Old 02-13-2020, 01:29 PM

E Coupe (2018)
Originally Posted by HAWKiS63

This has just happened to me too. This is the final straw. I will be returning the car. Nothing works.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:30 PM

E Coupe (2018)
Originally Posted by Amgieke
Same here
My car won't connect to the internet anymore, when I try to use the browser, I get this message on the display:
Freebrowsing disabled
The free-browsing feature has been disabled. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Mercedes-Benz AG

I went to my dealer because the car is still in warranty and I have an active internet in the car subscription, but they don't have a solution and are searching.
Maybe you can help me quicker?

Thanks
Send an email to: mercedes_me_connect@cac.mercedes-benz.com
This is what I have just done. And if everyone does the same, maybe they will do something.

HAWKiS63 (02-16-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 05:34 PM

E220
Hi everyone,
I'm facing the same with my w213 in Portugal. Already asked my local dealer and apparently they are not aware of the issue hence they have forward it to Mercedes-Benz Portugal.

I'm still waiting for further feedback.

Have you guys had any luck or explanation with the emails sent so far?
Old 02-26-2020, 01:07 PM

E Coupe (2018)
Originally Posted by Joćo Alexandre
Hi everyone,
I'm facing the same with my w213 in Portugal. Already asked my local dealer and apparently they are not aware of the issue hence they have forward it to Mercedes-Benz Portugal.

I'm still waiting for further feedback.

Have you guys had any luck or explanation with the emails sent so far?
Yes, I heard back from Mercedes yesterday, in response to my email regarding the removal of "Freebrowsing" via the Online Browswer.
Thank you for contacting Mercedes me connect regarding the removal of the freebrowsing.

I'm really sorry for the inconvenience.

This decision to disable the freebrowsing has been taken by Daimler AG and will be definitive.Unfortunately, we are unable to comment this decision.

The web radio and all other services which need data bundle are of course still available.

I remain at your disposal for any further requirements and I wish you a nice day.

Best regards,
I cannot understand how they are permitted to do this, without any form of discussion, consultation or communication with the vehicle owners first. The vehicle was advertised with this feature when I purchased it. Now they have removed it, something I have already paid for. This paired with the substandard "Comand Online" experience, which lets face it - should no longer be named Comand "ONLINE" ... means the end of the road for me with Mercedes. Time to jump ship to another more reputable car manufacturer - one that (a) knows how provide a proper infotainment system and (b) treats their customers with the respect and fairness that they deserve.
HAWKiS63 (02-29-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Comand Online NTG 5.5 connectivity issues