E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Comand Online NTG 5.5 connectivity issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 06:50 AM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts
S63 AMG Cabrio
WTF................they are kidding? The only reason to buy the very expensive and obliged Vodafone 4G Databundle (via Mercedes) is to use this built-in web browsing and TuneIN apps (this also does not work anymore with most radio stations, because the MB TuneIN app offers no htttps support, see other thread). The other apps (like Weather, HERE and POI Downloads) don't need any Vodafone credit, but probably use the same built-in SIM?

Ok, I will use the remaining 30 Gb probably to listening to some http TuneIN stations and the built-in hotspot (totally useless nowadays) and will certainly not extend.

Unbelievable that the COMAND 5*2 in my pre facelift car was so much better in ONLINE functions and features than this COMAND 5*5.

Anybody any thoughts how all this works (or not?) with the new MBUX (6 and 7) systems?

Last edited by HAWKiS63; 02-29-2020 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E Coupe (2018)
Originally Posted by HAWKiS63
Anybody any thoughts how all this works (or not?) with the new MBUX (6 and 7) systems?
Its kind of a moot point, as if they remove core functionality, without any warning or consultation with the customer - then who is to say the same won't happen with the newer MBUX system? I.e. what you buy today, you might not have tomorrow.

Incidentally, I did get another reply from Mercedes, when I responded to their original email (above). Good luck understanding it, as I didn't ...
Thank you for your feedback and I'm really sorry to learn about your dissatisfaction regarding this topic.

Some telematics generations are facing technical constraints regarding the so-called "Free Browsing Functionality", which is integrated in the head unit. Therefore it was decided to sundown this functionality for vehicles on the backend platforms.

Regarding the other purposes of having internet in the car is to use the web radio indeed or the other MB apps.

I stay then at your disposal and wish you a nice end-afternoon.
Like I said, I am done with Mercedes. Already started car shopping, and my criteria is ... anything but Mercedes.

Last edited by clinkadink; 02-29-2020 at 07:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
HAWKiS63 (02-29-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 07:27 AM

S63 AMG Cabrio
Very sad indeed.........MB apparantly does NOT understand that nowadays people buy cars (also) for the onboard telematics, apps, etc. And if it is not futureproof.......people choose another brand that does understand this (I am not a fan at all, but that (and fiscal stimulation) is the main reason Tesla's are selling so well overhere....not because of the design and build quality).

My AM dealer told me that one of the reasons the DB11, DBS and Vantage are not selling at all, is that they use old MB tech (COMAND 5*1 to be precise) in their cars, that for instance doesn't offer Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, a key requirement for most people these days. Bentley's new Continental GT(C) did not offer Android Auto from the start, but only Apple CarPlay (solved in MY2020 I believe).
Old 02-29-2020, 07:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E Coupe (2018)
I agree, I spent an extra £2,500 for all the Comand Online extras. Nearly 2 years on ... I cannot use any of it without issues.
  1. Built-in sat nav - frequently taking me to the wrong destination.
  2. Voice controls - about 50% accuracy
  3. Android Auto - only fills just over half of the screen ... with the half filled by an Android Auto logo. Spoke to Google about this, they have clearly stated to me (and in numerous threads) that this must be configured by the vehicle manufacturer. This figures, as in other vehicles with wide-screen aspect ratio, there is no issue. Yet Mercedes will not fix it.
  4. Internet Browser - has now been disabled (without any warning or communication with the customer)
  5. Remote Parking - has never worked in the UK, despite being advertised as having this feature
  6. TuneIn - just buffers indefinitely on mine, am yet to use this - probably due to 3G connection
  7. Weather - yes, this works. Whoope do. Well done Mercedes.
  8. MirrorLink - disabled in the UK
  9. Engineering Mode - disabled in the UK
And if that's not enough, I find I have a 3G telematics module, not a 4G/LTE - despite 4G/LTE being launched worldwide a decade earlier.

"Comand Online"? My old Nokia 3310 has more infotainment than this.

The following users liked this post:
HAWKiS63 (02-29-2020)
Old 03-01-2020, 03:19 AM

S63 AMG Cabrio
The crazy thing is that items 3, 4, 6 and 8 you mention can probably be solved if 9 is solved (4 and 6 by using your smartphone via bleutooth tethering for COMAND, a feature present in COMAND 5*2, but intentionally disabled by MB in COMAND 5*5).........anybody able to fix number 9 already?
Old 03-19-2020, 05:55 AM

S63 AMG Cabrio
Just got an COMAND 5*5 update from the dealer, TuneIN still not working with https (http still works). Also the Internet Browser now completely dissappeared from the Connectivity Menu, unbelievable..........