Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W213)
Reasonable discount over MSRP for 2019 Amg E 53 >

Reasonable discount over MSRP for 2019 Amg E 53

Notices
E-Class (W213) 2016 -

Reasonable discount over MSRP for 2019 Amg E 53

 
Old 07-21-2018, 07:14 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bay Area CA
Posts: 297
Recieved 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 GL 350 blue tec
Reasonable discount over MSRP for 2019 Amg E 53

what should I expect as reasonable discount from dealers if I order 2019 AMG E53 ? Thanks


Last edited by infamily; 07-21-2018 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Spellings
infamily is offline  
Old 07-21-2018, 08:43 PM
  #2  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 207
Recieved 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Audi S5
I don't think you'll get any discount on this car in the Bay Area at this time...
visualguy is offline  
Old 07-21-2018, 10:47 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bay Area CA
Posts: 297
Recieved 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 GL 350 blue tec
actually two dealers offered discount, one 3.5% off MSRP and another is offering 5% off MSRP
infamily is offline  
Old 07-21-2018, 11:19 PM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 207
Recieved 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Audi S5
Originally Posted by infamily View Post
actually two dealers offered discount, one 3.5% off MSRP and another is offering 5% off MSRP
Wow - I'm surprised! No one was discounting them there just a couple of months ago.
visualguy is offline  
Old 07-22-2018, 02:11 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bay Area CA
Posts: 297
Recieved 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 GL 350 blue tec
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post
Wow - I'm surprised! No one was discounting them there just a couple of months ago.
so maybe I should run with 5 %.
when we ordered our gl in 2014, it was a tough car to find but dealer gave us 7% , though that was in MN
infamily is offline  
Old 07-22-2018, 02:31 AM
  #6  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 207
Recieved 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Audi S5
Originally Posted by infamily View Post
so maybe I should run with 5 %.
when we ordered our gl in 2014, it was a tough car to find but dealer gave us 7% , though that was in MN
There must be very little interest in the E53 if Bay Area dealerships are discounting these first few build slots already... I'd be happy with 5% if I wanted an E53, but I wouldn't buy one of those quite frankly... I would go for either the E450 or the E63S depending on the type of car I wanted. Just my personal view...
visualguy is offline  
Old 07-22-2018, 05:15 AM
  #7  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 68
Recieved 10 Likes on 7 Posts
C238
I ordered an AMG E53 and in the Orlando market only 1 dealer out of 4 offered a discount, and that was 2%. Anyone hearing of an arrival/release date?
P2IMSA is offline  
Old 07-22-2018, 08:51 AM
  #8  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 207
Recieved 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Audi S5
If they aren't discounted in the Orlando market, then I'm even more shocked that they are now discounted in the Bay Area market.

A few arrived already, but they'll be sitting at the VPC for a long time. The current release date is sometime in October.
visualguy is offline  
The following users liked this post:
P2IMSA (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 08:55 AM
  #9  
Out Of Control!!
 
hyperion667's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 21,187
Recieved 687 Likes on 664 Posts
2012 CLS63
Most I ever got off from a configured car was 2K, all four times!
hyperion667 is online now  
Old 07-22-2018, 11:01 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bay Area CA
Posts: 297
Recieved 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 GL 350 blue tec
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post
There must be very little interest in the E53 if Bay Area dealerships are discounting these first few build slots already... I'd be happy with 5% if I wanted an E53, but I wouldn't buy one of those quite frankly... I would go for either the E450 or the E63S depending on the type of car I wanted. Just my personal view...
why wouldn’t you buy E 53? Is it because it is new model or is there some other reason?
infamily is offline  
Old 07-22-2018, 02:45 PM
  #11  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 207
Recieved 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Audi S5
Originally Posted by infamily View Post
why wouldn’t you buy E 53? Is it because it is new model or is there some other reason?
New model with a new power train is one reason - problems are likely. A more important reason is that it doesn't offer good value for the money. It's significantly more expensive than the E450, but only a little more powerful. It's not clear what all that extra money buys. If you want a comfortable and powerful E-Class, just get the E450. The E53 has only a little more power, and the ride won't be nearly as comfortable (assuming it's similar to the E43). If you want a truly sporty E-Class with a big power increase, get the E63S. The E450 and E63S give you the ultimate in the two flavors of the E-Class, so I would pick between those two. I don't like paying for something (like the E53 and the E43 before that) where I don't see where the extra money goes.
visualguy is offline  
Old 07-22-2018, 03:12 PM
  #12  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
ua549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 2,147
Recieved 229 Likes on 198 Posts
.
AMG =Add to Margin Greatly

The E53 has 55 more HP than the E450.

Last edited by ua549; 07-22-2018 at 03:22 PM.
ua549 is offline  
Old 07-22-2018, 03:28 PM
  #13  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 207
Recieved 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Audi S5
Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
AMG =Add to Margin Greatly

The E53 has 55 more HP than the E450.
And only 15 lb-ft of additional torque. HP/torque is 362/369 for the E450 and 429/384 for the E53. Not worth it in my opinion.
visualguy is offline  
Old 07-22-2018, 03:45 PM
  #14  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
ua549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 2,147
Recieved 229 Likes on 198 Posts
.
You forgot the electric motor. The E53 has 450 HP - 429/384 + 21/184 according to Car & Driver. The difference is 88/199 which is substantial.
ua549 is offline  
Old 07-22-2018, 03:52 PM
  #15  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 207
Recieved 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Audi S5
Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
You forgot the electric motor. The E53 has 450 HP - 429/384 + 21/184 according to Car & Driver. The difference is 88/199 which is substantial.
That's not how it works. It's not additive. The electric motor substitutes for the ICE when beneficial for fuel economy or to reduce lag. The total is still 429/384.
visualguy is offline  
Old 07-22-2018, 04:01 PM
  #16  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Midwest.
Posts: 4,875
Recieved 441 Likes on 354 Posts
'18 E63s ED1, '17 SL550, '14 ML350
Originally Posted by visualguy View Post
And only 15 lb-ft of additional torque. HP/torque is 362/369 for the E450 and 429/384 for the E53. Not worth it in my opinion.

I would differentiate that a bit...

In terms of engine, it's a no-brainer. The new inline 6 is a dramatically better engine vs the old V6. While it is new to the US, the engine has been put into a lot of cars (100K plus so far) as it's been around in the rest of the world for a year. There is no downside to this engine with the exception that the driving experience is considered very unemotional (for an AMG). In CLS flavor, the 53 was better than the Panamera 4S. Forget about HP, the power delivery is very linear with truly non-existent turbo lag. If anyone likes ECO Start/Stop (I don't), it is also imperceptible due to the e-start.

That said, a decision for the 53 has little to do with HP. It is about costs, comfort and design.
1. Financial. If leased, MF and residuals matters. In the past, the E43 was heavily subsidized (higher residual and lower MF) This was very un-AMG-like. This can offset some pricing difference and should be a consideration.
2. Suspension will be firmer no matter what. A test drive in all settings and different road surfaces is essential.
3. Personal taste. Based on importance, they may overrule pricing...
Wolfman is offline  
The following users liked this post:
AZEZ (07-26-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 04:15 PM
  #17  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ontario,Canada
Posts: 1,464
Recieved 60 Likes on 50 Posts
....19 CLS53, 18 E43
I disagree. I wish I had waited for the E53. I have the 18 E43. The E53 has the new in line 6cyl with 48 volt system that gives you an extra 22 hp of boost plus 429 hp. The E450 has the old V6 engine retuned to 362 hp that is currently in the E400. If you can get one for 5% discount, go for it.

I love my E43 with air suspension. It has a great ride and good power but the E53 offers all that plus more power and the latest technology. Within the next five years all cars will be like the E53 48 volts system with no parasite belts sucking power from the engine. Buy the future and not the past.

PS Your only problem is Trump. He is thinking of adding a 25% tariff on all imported cars. I do not have the audacity to offer my opinion on Mr. Trump.
petee1997 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
AZEZ (07-26-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 05:20 PM
  #18  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Midwest.
Posts: 4,875
Recieved 441 Likes on 354 Posts
'18 E63s ED1, '17 SL550, '14 ML350
Originally Posted by petee1997 View Post
I disagree. I wish I had waited for the E53. I have the 18 E43. The E53 has the new in line 6cyl with 48 volt system that gives you an extra 22 hp of boost plus 429 hp. The E450 has the old V6 engine retuned to 362 hp that is currently in the E400. If you can get one for 5% discount, go for it.

I love my E43 with air suspension. It has a great ride and good power but the E53 offers all that plus more power and the latest technology. Within the next five years all cars will be like the E53 48 volts system with no parasite belts sucking power from the engine. Buy the future and not the past.

PS Your only problem is Trump. He is thinking of adding a 25% tariff on all imported cars. I do not have the audacity to offer my opinion on Mr. Trump.
This....

Btw, what post were you disagreeing with?
Wolfman is offline  
Old 07-22-2018, 05:57 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
dudley07726's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SWFL
Posts: 306
Recieved 17 Likes on 16 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe, 2016 Audi A6 3.0
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by petee1997 View Post

PS Your only problem is Trump. He is thinking of adding a 25% tariff on all imported cars. I do not have the audacity to offer my opinion on Mr. Trump.
You just did.
dudley07726 is offline  
Old 07-22-2018, 06:30 PM
  #20  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 139
Recieved 9 Likes on 8 Posts
e300
OP- I dont think you should have the mindset to get any significant discount on an order. The only reason a dealer will discount an order is so you don't order at another dealer. When you buy a car off the lot, your helping the dealer move inventory.....they will be more open to discounting

And second, its a brand new model, they dont discount new releases....... for example a G63 you might pay up for one
mobster600 is offline  
Old 07-22-2018, 06:36 PM
  #21  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,337
Recieved 272 Likes on 225 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by mobster600 View Post
OP- I dont think you should have the mindset to get any significant discount on an order. The only reason a dealer will discount an order is so you don't order at another dealer. When you buy a car off the lot, your helping the dealer move inventory.....they will be more open to discounting

And second, its a brand new model, they dont discount new releases....... for example a G63 you might pay up for one
I agree with your second point, but not your first point. Whether I special order or buy off the lot, my dealer gives me a beyond excellent discount, which is the same regardless. This of course likely stems from the fact I've been a faithful customer of this dealership for 20 years now and we have purchased a LOT of MB cars over the years. I get a standard discount off MSRP (which I can't divulge here) off whatever I choose to drive.

The fact the E53 is brand spanking new, could account for dealer hesitance to discount much off MSRP.
rbrylaw is offline  
Old 07-22-2018, 06:58 PM
  #22  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
ua549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 2,147
Recieved 229 Likes on 198 Posts
.
I agree that dealer loyalty pays dividends in the form of early access to new models along with generous discounts on inventory or factory orders. I've used the same dealer since the 1960's.
ua549 is offline  
The following users liked this post:
rbrylaw (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 08:39 PM
  #23  
Member
 
CaptainE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 219
Recieved 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2019 E450 one of these days
Originally Posted by petee1997 View Post
I disagree. I wish I had waited for the E53. I have the 18 E43. The E53 has the new in line 6cyl with 48 volt system that gives you an extra 22 hp of boost plus 429 hp. The E450 has the old V6 engine retuned to 362 hp that is currently in the E400. If you can get one for 5% discount, go for it.

I love my E43 with air suspension. It has a great ride and good power but the E53 offers all that plus more power and the latest technology. Within the next five years all cars will be like the E53 48 volts system with no parasite belts sucking power from the engine. Buy the future and not the past.

PS Your only problem is Trump. He is thinking of adding a 25% tariff on all imported cars. I do not have the audacity to offer my opinion on Mr. Trump.
I really, really want the inline six, but am looking at ordering an E450 because of ride quality. Does the 43 really have a good ride? My priority is on ride and luxury over raw power. Benz over Mustang GT any day for me, so living in Phoenix, where the roads are pretty good, no freeze/thaw potholes for example, will the E53 still deliver an exceptional smooth ride?

I could test drive the E43 I guess, but now I’m on the fence. Does the European delivery discount the E53 the same?
CaptainE is offline  
Old 07-22-2018, 08:54 PM
  #24  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,337
Recieved 272 Likes on 225 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by CaptainE View Post


I really, really want the inline six, but am looking at ordering an E450 because of ride quality. Does the 43 really have a good ride? My priority is on ride and luxury over raw power. Benz over Mustang GT any day for me, so living in Phoenix, where the roads are pretty good, no freeze/thaw potholes for example, will the E53 still deliver an exceptional smooth ride?

I could test drive the E43 I guess, but now I’m on the fence. Does the European delivery discount the E53 the same?
If comfort if your top priority, get the E450 on 18" wheels. It will have oodles of usable power with the 367 HO Twin Turbo and the Torque can't be matched by any rivals. As to discounts and EU Delivery, I believe you negotiate your price here and you just go to Europe to get your car, drive it a while and have it shipped back to the US to clear customs
rbrylaw is offline  
Old 07-22-2018, 10:13 PM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 425
Recieved 45 Likes on 40 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
The longer a car sits on a lot, the more it costs the dealer. Think clearly: A dealer only makes money when he sells a car. Cars sitting on his lot ties up his money. Eventually to move that car he offers a discount - regardless of the model.

At some point the buying public just thinks a car is over priced and it sits on the dealer lot. I have seen our local dealer discount the Maybach over $30,000 - just to move the metal. I do not know the demand for the E53.

So each model is different.

When you order a car it is pure profit for the dealer: it comes in and out, no floor planning. That is why sometimes you get an even bigger discount on an ordered car vs. one on a lot.

Of course end of month sale quotients, end of year sales to increase manufacturer incentives and holdbacks also come into play. That is when you get the biggest discount - but also limited choice.
JTK44 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: Reasonable discount over MSRP for 2019 Amg E 53


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: