E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

E-Class Sales Drop 35% in July - Lowest number in over 3 years!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 08:14 PM

Received 137 Likes on 104 Posts
2015 ML350+2021 E350
Originally Posted by sackboydad

well if I hadn’t got complete roger’d by the new model year great hold-up, I think mine would have been pretty fast too. On may 13, I Customized a build slot my dealer already had for mid-June. Car was built on June 20. Shipped a few days later. Arrived in Baltimore on July 6.
What, if any, add-ons or finishing touches are done once the cars arrive from Germany. Paint or upholstery corrections? Loading GPS data for COMAND? Are they test driven? None of this would be done in "assembly line" fashion, but instead much more slowly...very slowly. Does MBUSA monitor existing "old" inventory before releasing "new" inventory. Any government certification concerns? These are all possible reasons why, although, like you, I wouldn't want to hear any excuses. "Just give me my damned car!" Good luck there.

I'm sure many buyers look at more than one brand. Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Cadillac and even Volvo in the midsize luxury (upscale taxi to some) car segment . Maybe they research and test two or three brands, and select one as their favorite...their choice. If they can't get it, for whatever reason, they move on to their 2d or 3d choice. Sales figures on carsalesbase or goodcarbadcar would reflect that, showing one declining in sales and one increasing.

But the lowest figure in 3 1/2 years should set off alarm bells at Mercedes. For example, why is it still difficult to get a digital dash. Counting Europe (where W213 began as a 2016 model), they have had ample time to insure they have adequate supply...yet they don't. Audi Virtual Cockpit is pretty slick, and apparently not in short supply. Haven't tried it, but BMW offers gesture control, and don't even talk about touch screen.
Old 08-02-2018, 09:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 GL 350 blue tec
Per the data posted, it seems the YTD sales are down by 8%. I am sure they are not happy about that. Maybe more incentives coming
Old 08-02-2018, 10:07 PM

Received 110 Likes on 94 Posts
2021 M550i
their inventory and finance programs have been out of whack for awhile now. You cant find a c class cab or e class cab till September. The new G wagons wont be out for like a year. Moving the HQ down to Atlanta and the new CEO - all might have something to do with it as well. Their most selling trucks like the GLE is now limited production. They need to get it together. but long story short - they probably know what their problem is.... what they can do about it is another matter.

They know their sales are low - margin is a always a different story.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:25 PM

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2012 E550 Sedan
I agree and think the main cause of the low numbers was the computer glitch in their system that prevented customers from placing orders. I looked at July's numbers (in the US) for the C-Class and they fell 33%. S-Class numbers fell by 44% in July. GLC numbers were down as well.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 290 Likes on 203 Posts
2013 650i Coupe, 2010 IS250 AWD, 1999 S500
Originally Posted by jhpmbusa
their inventory and finance programs have been out of whack for awhile now. You cant find a c class cab or e class cab till September. The new G wagons wont be out for like a year. Moving the HQ down to Atlanta and the new CEO - all might have something to do with it as well. Their most selling trucks like the GLE is now limited production. They need to get it together. but long story short - they probably know what their problem is.... what they can do about it is another matter.

They know their sales are low - margin is a always a different story.
The new G was originally due this fall, has that been pushed back?

M
Old 08-03-2018, 02:09 AM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
2014 Mercedes E Class
Here is the official word from MB. Was posted in the S class forums

August 01, 2018 01:30 PM Eastern Daylight TimeATLANTA--(BUSINESS WIRE (https://www.businesswire.com/))--Mercedes-Benz USA (MBUSA) today reported July sales of 20,034 Mercedes-Benz models, a decrease of 22.7% from July 2017. Mercedes-Benz Vans reported July sales of 2,921 units (up 5.9%) and smart reported 103 units, bringing MBUSA to a grand total of 23,058 vehicles for the month. On a year-to-date basis, sales of Mercedes-Benz vehicles totaled 178,882, with an additional 19,831 units for Vans and 753 vehicles for smart, bringing the sales volume to 199,466, a decrease of 4.4% from last year.

“July sales were impacted by a number of factors, resulting in a temporary dealer inventory shortfall relating to our changeover to model year 2019,” said Dietmar Exler, president and CEO of MBUSA. “We also experienced a mainframe outage which affected our dealers’ ability to conduct business during the busiest week of the month. The IT recovery is nearing completion, and we are working closely with our customers and dealers to help alleviate any inconvenience resulting from the model year 2019 delays. While we expect to replenish our inventory levels in the fall, these developments will likely have a negative impact on sales in the coming months.”

Mercedes-Benz volume leaders in July included the GLE, GLC and C-Class model lines. The GLE took the lead at 4,447, followed closely by GLC sales of 4,446. The C-Class rounded out the top three with 3,841 units sold.

July sales of Mercedes-AMG high-performance totaled 2,008 units, with 17,328 vehicles sold year-to-date.

Separately, Mercedes-Benz Certified Pre-Owned (MBCPO) models recorded sales of 10,508 vehicles in July, an increase of 21.4% when compared to the same month last year (8,654). On a year-to-date basis, MBCPO sold 72,629 vehicles, an increase of 5.5% over 2017 (68,848).

Last edited by BigDeeLA; 08-03-2018 at 02:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
visualguy (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 02:10 AM

2014 Mercedes E Class
Just by the sound of that if ANYTHING it should mean they should be trying to release the cars ASAP.. but now it’s more about getting anough cars to dealers before they release any 2019...
Old 08-03-2018, 02:20 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Audi S5
Originally Posted by BigDeeLA
Just by the sound of that if ANYTHING it should mean they should be trying to release the cars ASAP.. but now it’s more about getting anough cars to dealers before they release any 2019...
He says that they will replenish dealer inventories only in the fall, and sales in the coming months will still be impacted, which didn't sound encouraging...
Old 08-03-2018, 02:23 AM

2014 Mercedes E Class
Looks like better expect the 2019s to arrive in late Sept now.. or early Oct
Old 08-03-2018, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by BigDeeLA
Looks like better expect the 2019s to arrive in late Sept now.. or early Oct
My dealer has about 50 E Class on their lot. 4 E400, about 8 E43 and the rest all E300. I'm sure they'd like to move the remaining inventory before the 19's are released.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:54 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,418 Likes on 2,857 Posts
2012 CLS63
Some sort of marketing ploy no doubt, spun to make it seem important and or relevant.

Old 08-04-2018, 04:35 AM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic
I live in France and placed an order on 21st Feb with a 15th June delivery date. E220d 4matic business executive estate with some options Inc airbody control and acoustic pack. Not an exotic model although well optioned the drivetrain is fairly euro standard (the engine is the most common certainly). I still do not have a firm date for delivery but was told the car was scheduled for a July build and they anticipate late August early sept. We do not get the same dealer support here for tracking build and delivery as you guys in north America do. I understand mercedes are testing a build tracker app for customers in germany.....
It transpires that in fact mercedes stopped production of all e class at one point for a period and then when it restarted it was for non European models only. The reason was the introduction of the new WLTP emission regulations and the certification needed. Cars could be produced for those countries not signatories but not for those signed up Inc the EU 28. There was a shortage of testbeds for the certification process so all the manufacturers were scrambling to get slots and the certification needed.
THE E220d has now been given its certs so they are processing orders and I assume eu customers with old orders like me maybe getting some priority. It must be costing mercedes as I am currently using a loan class c which was a brand new dealer demo when i was given it free of charge. The new certification has changed the rate of co2 emissions as mercedes are covering the increased registration costs arising from that too.
Search WLTP and you will see the difficulties it has caused across the industry.
on a separate aside I have already cost them money as my old lease c was drowned in a flood 2 weeks before return.....mercedes and my insurers have agreed settlement but not sure mercedes has the money yet and they lost any potential profit in reselling the car which was in a1 condition.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:39 PM

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts
2022 GLE 450 (Black on Black)
For whatever is worth, I will share the following information provided by our sales manager on Wednesday: When P1 (Priority Orders for customers) cars come in to the VPC center, they get priority for shipment once all the necessary inspections etc. are accomplished. Then dealer order cars are released. He mentioned this once I offered to select an incoming dealer car that would have most of the options that I had selected on our E450 4Matic Sedan. So he advised to wait for my "order" car.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:55 AM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
skoda octavia MkII 2.0
it seems a world wide problem. in Europe, there has been the impact of the upcoming WLTP emission tests that can lead to price increases in September and people have anticipated their orders before that. Also, there has been a shortage in the wide screen panels given that Merc has roll this feature in several models and classes. It has even been shortage in interior colors packs.

as it is, it seems a major supplier problem with Merc. I am waiting for my E63 S *production* to November... 5 months waiting and counting...
Old 08-06-2018, 12:19 PM

2021 M550i
i find it quite odd that they have had this wide screen issue for months now They should have another supplier by now. LED screens aren't new technology. Just the same way they source like 4 different tire brands for the e300s.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 818 Likes on 649 Posts
It is not a part that is common to many different vehicles. Next year's S Class won't be using it. The E Class display is quite unique and the quantity needed is quite small. That does not lend itself to multi-sourcing the part. Some Asian cars will start offering a 12.3" display, but it may not use the same technology that MB uses.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:03 PM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Originally Posted by ua549
It is not a part that is common to many different vehicles. Next year's S Class won't be using it. The E Class display is quite unique and the quantity needed is quite small. That does not lend itself to multi-sourcing the part. Some Asian cars will start offering a 12.3" display, but it may not use the same technology that MB uses.
Yeah, it's odd but this one of the shortages that Merc representatives are stating across Europe. The A class is using also wide screens, less wide than E class I believe, but nonetheless it means more need of these displays. Class S and GL also.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 818 Likes on 649 Posts
S class is dropping the 12.3" side by side displays in their new 2020 model late next year.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:41 PM

skoda octavia MkII 2.0
Originally Posted by ua549
S class is dropping the 12.3" side by side displays in their new 2020 model late next year.
was not aware of that. what will they use?

anyway, for now they still need these displays...
Old 08-06-2018, 09:08 PM

2021 M550i
every e class (sedan/coupe/cab/wagon) takes at least one (pretty much depending on the country). every s class (maybach) takes 2 even if they are not using them in the 2020 model, there is still a whole year left.... and they might drop the side by side style , but looks like it is the same screen (dont quote me on this tho =) ) not sure about the new a class but looks pretty much the same. the new c class will take one with navi. the new c class will also have it in the dash as well (option). If they are all getting it from the same supplier, there are no guarantees that they can build one but not the other.

In January they released the Q2 package which is p2 without the 2 screens for the e300s. It is August now and the website still shows limited availability. This is an issue, clearly shows they don't need it in little quantity. reasonably speaking - how many is the supplier creating in a a day?? 8 months not being able to find a solution or a new supplier is very surprising. Those screens cannot be that hard to replicate, probably can get even for cheaper now that they need more qty.

When mb goes out for bid - they clearly had a number of dashes they needed in mind (easily obtainable by the units of cars they think they can sell). Pretty sure the supplier said they are capable of meeting the demands.... these aren't handmade, wonder what the real issue is (maybe a part that goes into them)?

I doubt MB makes them on their own.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:32 AM

Received 137 Likes on 104 Posts
2015 ML350+2021 E350
[/QUOTE]
I doubt MB makes them on their own.[/QUOTE]

if they do they need to outsource it, because they are failing. Thousands of products now have digital screens. Work with someone that can meet their customers' needs.

Old 08-08-2018, 06:27 AM

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Mercedes E220d AMG Line Estate (S213) and Mercedes E220d AMG Line Cabriolet (A238)
I suspect that the brands mentioned in the above comments are European (MB and Porsche) and the reduction in cars arriving in the US is a knock on for the adoption of Euro 6d WLTP certification for EU and a number of other countries which is squeezing supply. MB is actually ahead of the game here and most of its range have the core models certified so there is full steam ahead with production. Whilst not necessarily helpful to those of you waiting for a big 6 cy petrol model the core product range of 4 cy petrol and diesel models that make up the vast majority of world wide sales have been prioritised for recertification. The fall out is that the more "minority" engines (including the hybrid variants) have taken a back seat.

Also the annual model cycle change this year is earlier than normal as any manufacturer selling in a WLTP market can only sell WLTP cars after 01 Sep 18 so they have had to build up stock for Sep whilst focusing on running down "stock" cars which can no longer be sold - hence squeezing supply for customer specific (rather than dealer stock order) cars. Even this week the large 6cy petrol and diesel engines for the 213 and 238 cars have been pushed back before they can be ordered from German dealers by another 3 weeks as there are simply not enough labs pan Europe to get all the cars from all the manufacturers through the system. VW in Germany is currently building Euro 6d WLTP cars which it can't sell as they are not certified and have just hired a runway in Berlin's unfinished airport to store them until the cars are certified!

Sackboydad - I feel your frustration as my Estate is currently 5 months behind schedule (but that's worked out well as I get the 2019 Drive pilot upgrades etc) but I am gob smacked your 450 is built and shipped and already in the US; are you absolutely positive it is build and in the US? The timeline seems really tight?? Unless yours is not a custom build there will be at least a 4 week air gap from order to production as the specification is fixed after start of production month decade minus 4 weeks. It was only order-able from German dealers (they get it first) on 22 Jun, so yours must literally been one of the very the first down the line on a transport/train out of the factory immediately and a ship to the US less than a week later to pop out in the US in the first week of July?? Or was it a 400 2018 (808) car that was ordered ages ago and then produced after 01 Jun 18 so became the upgraded 2019 (809) car as happened with our Cabriolet that is now built and currently sat in a vehicle pound in UK until I can collect it (for my own reasons and not to do with MB) at the beginning of Sep? For my Estate currently the engine lockout date was 20 July (8 weeks before start of production decade) and I am sweating on 20 Aug for Specification lockout (production decade start minus 4 weeks); once it clears that then its green light for production in production decade 3 for September (20th to 30th of the month) where it is currently scheduled for 24 Sep 18.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:44 AM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2019 E450 Cabriolet, 2020 GLS450
Originally Posted by Bfgslkman
I suspect that the brands mentioned in the above comments are European (MB and Porsche) and the reduction in cars arriving in the US is a knock on for the adoption of Euro 6d WLTP certification for EU and a number of other countries which is squeezing supply. MB is actually ahead of the game here and most of its range have the core models certified so there is full steam ahead with production. Whilst not necessarily helpful to those of you waiting for a big 6 cy petrol model the core product range of 4 cy petrol and diesel models that make up the vast majority of world wide sales have been prioritised for recertification. The fall out is that the more "minority" engines (including the hybrid variants) have taken a back seat.

Also the annual model cycle change this year is earlier than normal as any manufacturer selling in a WLTP market can only sell WLTP cars after 01 Sep 18 so they have had to build up stock for Sep whilst focusing on running down "stock" cars which can no longer be sold - hence squeezing supply for customer specific (rather than dealer stock order) cars. Even this week the large 6cy petrol and diesel engines for the 213 and 238 cars have been pushed back before they can be ordered from German dealers by another 3 weeks as there are simply not enough labs pan Europe to get all the cars from all the manufacturers through the system. VW in Germany is currently building Euro 6d WLTP cars which it can't sell as they are not certified and have just hired a runway in Berlin's unfinished airport to store them until the cars are certified!

Sackboydad - I feel your frustration as my Estate is currently 5 months behind schedule (but that's worked out well as I get the 2019 Drive pilot upgrades etc) but I am gob smacked your 450 is built and shipped and already in the US; are you absolutely positive it is build and in the US? The timeline seems really tight?? Unless yours is not a custom build there will be at least a 4 week air gap from order to production as the specification is fixed after start of production month decade minus 4 weeks. It was only order-able from German dealers (they get it first) on 22 Jun, so yours must literally been one of the very the first down the line on a transport/train out of the factory immediately and a ship to the US less than a week later to pop out in the US in the first week of July?? Or was it a 400 2018 (808) car that was ordered ages ago and then produced after 01 Jun 18 so became the upgraded 2019 (809) car as happened with our Cabriolet that is now built and currently sat in a vehicle pound in UK until I can collect it (for my own reasons and not to do with MB) at the beginning of Sep? For my Estate currently the engine lockout date was 20 July (8 weeks before start of production decade) and I am sweating on 20 Aug for Specification lockout (production decade start minus 4 weeks); once it clears that then its green light for production in production decade 3 for September (20th to 30th of the month) where it is currently scheduled for 24 Sep 18.
hi. My car is a MY2019 that was ordered mid-May and finished production on 20 June. It was shipped by boat and arrived at the Baltimore VPC on 06 July. Currently at (and has been since 06 July) at NetStar status D1 (which I think now stands for “Dungeon level 1”). 😬

as ive said before, I’m absolutely stunned by the fact that I’m (and many others) are BEGGING Mercedes to take our money and they don’t seem to want it.

This indefinite priduct delay is, honestly, inexcusable and for me has ruined my first-ever Mercedes buying experience

Last edited by sackboydad; 08-08-2018 at 06:46 AM.
Old 08-08-2018, 08:50 AM

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Mercedes E220d AMG Line Estate (S213) and Mercedes E220d AMG Line Cabriolet (A238)
Sackboydad,

Strange thought why yours isn't released? I know its a new Euro 6d WLTP compliant engine but I thought you guys weren't signed up to the new system (?) or are you (?). Is the delay in getting the signed off by the US Authorities?

Well I ordered mine in Nov 17 for May 18 build and June 18 delivery (E220d SE Estate originally but now an E220d AMG Line Estate). Delay for widescreen, loss of half the options because MB UK said you can't have them any more and then pulled from a 2nd decade July 18 build as they didn't have enough air suspension. Now rescheduled for 3rd decade Sep 18 build!!! Farce. Our Cab (220d AMG Line) was delayed 3 months because of Widescreen issues and has been build with full Ash Black Wood interior instead of Designo Black Magnolia flowing lines as again MB UK no longer take that option!!

MB are right with their current advertising logo - the best or nothing. I was hoping for something!
Old 08-08-2018, 09:03 AM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2019 E450 Cabriolet, 2020 GLS450
Originally Posted by Bfgslkman
Sackboydad,

Strange thought why yours isn't released? I know its a new Euro 6d WLTP compliant engine but I thought you guys weren't signed up to the new system (?) or are you (?). Is the delay in getting the signed off by the US Authorities?

Well I ordered mine in Nov 17 for May 18 build and June 18 delivery (E220d SE Estate originally but now an E220d AMG Line Estate). Delay for widescreen, loss of half the options because MB UK said you can't have them any more and then pulled from a 2nd decade July 18 build as they didn't have enough air suspension. Now rescheduled for 3rd decade Sep 18 build!!! Farce. Our Cab (220d AMG Line) was delayed 3 months because of Widescreen issues and has been build with full Ash Black Wood interior instead of Designo Black Magnolia flowing lines as again MB UK no longer take that option!!

MB are right with their current advertising logo - the best or nothing. I was hoping for something!
My salesman said MBUSA said it’s because of certification issues. So I’m sure the government is holding it up.

My issue is soneone one screwed up at Mercedes... either in Germany or more likely USA. WHY weren’t these cars submitted LONG AGO for certification? Why did they wait until the last minute? Looking at the US EPA data that was updated the end of July, Mercedes doesn’t have ONE SINGLE CAR on the certified list. Not one. BMW has a ton (looks like everything they import). Audi? Check. Ford? Check. Nissan? Check. Toyota? Check.

What idiot at MB decided they couldn’t submit the cars for certification MUCH EARLIER ?

Last year the E Class was released for sale on Aug 20. Dealers were told it’s an INDEFINITE delay. INDEFINITE!!!

The press rekease MBUSA put out had them whining about the poor sales and blaming it on “inventory issues” (translation... we screwed up and some dealers have too many 2018 left and others don’t have anything to sell. And of course we didn’t get ANY 2019’s certified to sell in the US so we can’t do that).

They also blaned it on their IT screw-up with the crashed NetStar mainframe Apparently they don’t believe in best practices for IT... redundancy and backups.

Min closing they said with the new models coming later in the fall, the next TWO MONTHS will show disappointing sales. TWO MONTHS! I sure take that to mean we are all going to get screwed and not get our cars for TWO MORE MONTHS because of sineone’s Incompetence at MBUSA.

as as I said earlier, this has thrown cold water on my first MB experience. I’ve dreamed of owning a Mercedes for as long as I can remember. Saved and saved and finally did it. Now my dream car is sitting rusting from the salt air at the Baltimore harbor and, from all appearances will still be sitting there rusting for another TWO MONTHS.

So far, the “Mercedes exoerience” sucks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: E-Class Sales Drop 35% in July - Lowest number in over 3 years!