how to be always shinny ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 11:20 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by mickhoog
I always use shampoo and a chamois. I have never polished or waxed the car.

The only thing i have done is on a black ML i once had for 3 years, i took it to the local place and they hand polished it for me as a treat for the ML's first birthday.

Ive had 4 mercedes and i found i never needed to - always looks shiny to me. Colours I have had is : palladium silver, standard white, obsidian black and now iridium silver.
I've had 4 as well. One 040 black; never again, and a diamond white.....never again............I'll stick with iridium too.....my first AMG was iridium as well. The dealer talked me out of buying a blue one haha.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:12 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
E400
Originally Posted by hyperion667
I've had 4 as well. One 040 black; never again, and a diamond white.....never again............I'll stick with iridium too.....my first AMG was iridium as well. The dealer talked me out of buying a blue one haha.
After the dings and scratches on this black car, love the car, but never a black one again.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 771 Likes on 609 Posts
I've had 9 MB's and none have ever had a ding. Handicap parking has its advantages. That said, I've never had a black or white car. My favorites are dark blue, gray/blue, gray, red and silver (not in that order).
Old 08-08-2018, 07:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W211
I just wash my car again , and it is a lot of water mark on the paint . I wax it but the water spot is still there. I don't know what to use to clear it
Old 08-09-2018, 01:15 PM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
2018 E400 4matic Wagon
Originally Posted by keong8867
I just wash my car again , and it is a lot of water mark on the paint . I wax it but the water spot is still there. I don't know what to use to clear it
You seem to have hard water at your location. I too have hard water in my village. There is no way to remove hard water spots other than to use vinegar or to not get them in the first place (always make sure you dry thoroughly).
Old 08-09-2018, 01:19 PM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
2018 E400 4matic Wagon
A new car do we need to polish?
The dealer puts white plastic to protect the finish but puts no wax on the paint. If you just took delivery, then you should wash it and wax it.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:38 PM

W211
Originally Posted by Long Islander
You seem to have hard water at your location. I too have hard water in my village. There is no way to remove hard water spots other than to use vinegar or to not get them in the first place (always make sure you dry thoroughly).
So you mean use vinegar can remove it? Let take a look to my chrome

Old 08-10-2018, 08:02 AM

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe C238
That doesn't really look like hard water spots but hard to tell. Have you tried to wash your car somewhere else or test your water for hardness?

I would try a 50:50 water vinegar mix and maybe get a light metal polish if that doesn't work on the metal. I personally would not use vinegar on my paint but appears some others here have.
Wax companies like Meguires & CarPro make water spot removers.

You may also want to try a light spray of something like Chemical Guys Hybrid V7 Optical Gloss spray before you towel dry. Really helps to reduce water spots and streaking.
Note: Make sure you remove all water spots before waxing.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 240 Likes on 201 Posts
A car
Use aluminum / chrome trim cleaner/buffer. Gets rid of that easily. IIRC I use the Auto Glym product for that.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:34 AM

W211
Originally Posted by MikeO3
That doesn't really look like hard water spots but hard to tell. Have you tried to wash your car somewhere else or test your water for hardness?

I would try a 50:50 water vinegar mix and maybe get a light metal polish if that doesn't work on the metal. I personally would not use vinegar on my paint but appears some others here have.
Wax companies like Meguires & CarPro make water spot removers.

You may also want to try a light spray of something like Chemical Guys Hybrid V7 Optical Gloss spray before you towel dry. Really helps to reduce water spots and streaking.
Note: Make sure you remove all water spots before waxing.
huh, water spot I can’t remove so I just wax it. I thought it can
Old 08-11-2018, 02:03 AM

W211
If some water spit one the paint that can’t remove . Can I use cleaner wax to remove it?
Old 08-28-2018, 01:04 AM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

That may not necessarily be actual chrome. This might be plastic painted with a shiny silver paint and clear coated. You will need to verify.

I believe your problem on the paint having water spots is due to the quality of water being used. Hard water will cause water spots on the paint. In some countries, the water is extremely hard and therefore causes water spots. Some higher end car washes will use water treatments to soften the water (dries spot free), but many car washes do not. Best way to prevent hard water spots is to dry the car quickly using a cloth before the water evaporates on the paint. In order to remove the water spots might be a whole different story.

Go look up youtube videos on how to clay bar your paint. This will help remove surface defects. You will know immediately after using the clay bar how the finish is, just run your hand over the surface. If it is rough, you need clay bar. If it is smooth, you do not need clay bar. Just make sure you keep folding the clay to prevent the grit from scratching the paint. Don't wax over the water spot. All you are doing is protecting the water spot and trapping it in the paint underneath the wax. You need to correct/fix the finish first before protecting with wax.

If you can purchase Mequiar's Ultimate Compound, try using this to remove the water spots in the paint.

If this was my car, I would do the following.

Wash car, then dry immediately.
Clay bar (make sure to use lots of the included lube)
wash again to remove any residue
Mequiar's Ultimate Compound
Wax

Last edited by F1Fan; 08-28-2018 at 01:09 AM.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2011 E350 CDI A207

so. As your say, clay bar will destroy paint or not? Or paint cover?
Not sure if you got an answer.

Using a Clay bar will not damage your paint unless grit is caused to get caught in it.

You should do a DEEP clean on the car to remove all dirt. then using a slightly soapy water spray a panel or glass and wipe with the clay. you will notice the clay will get dirty fast on a supposedly deep cleaned car. this is because it will remove any dirt in pitting on the pain and other stubborn dirt.

Once done the paint is SUPER clean and ready for polishing to remove fine swirls or just waxing if the paint is good. If anything once clayed the car should look brighter or deeper in colour (depending on the colour) as more paint will actually be seen with out dirt.

I always recommend doing one panel deep clean at a time. its quite a long job and can be timeconsuming. if you do it panel at a time then you can stop and continue another day. work from the top down.
Old 11-12-2019, 12:47 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2020 MB GLE 350
Mannnnn do I love detailing my car myself, it's just something about the final result of it all. I regularly use Turtle Wax Paste Wax, but there's a science to how I actually apply it that works extremely well. I first spray my car down with hot water to ensure that all the road dust is off, I then smear wax strategically on the car and wipe it into the paint with the residual water left on the car after the spray down.

I've been doing this for years and it appears to me as the best way to evenly and easily apply wax all the while you are preventing scratches on the car. The paint also absorbs the wax better and holds the wax well. After I'm done I let the car sit in the sun for a bit to seal the wax on the paint even more. Cheers!!!
Old 11-12-2019, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 771 Likes on 609 Posts
A spit polish for your car.
Old 11-13-2019, 07:30 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
'17 E300
Wash your car and pick a spot to run your hand over the paint. Then wet the area and rub a clay bar over it a few times. Rinse and then rub your hand over the area. If it feels significantly better, then you know it's time to claybar your car. You can't use claybar too much, however if there are no contaminants in your paint its not worth the time. It's just like rubbing silly puddy on the paint, it has no abrasives. It's great on chrome too.

From my Corvette days which included a lot of time playing with waxes etc, my best shines were from multiple coats of Zaino. But any wax is only as good as the prep work underneath it. Swirl removers, scratch removers etc make for the mirror shine. I had both of my Vettes wet sanded to remove orange peel that's in most every factory paint job, GM paint jobs especially.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:50 AM

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe C238
Originally Posted by West_Coaster
Wash your car and pick a spot to run your hand over the paint.
Tip: The plastic baggie over hand test is best for this and will reveal much more then the bare hand.
The following users liked this post:
TUSK (11-15-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 08:02 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2020 MB GLE 350
I'll have to try the hand-over bag trick, but I keep more paste wax on my cart than I could ever want.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:19 PM

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
2019 GLC300, 2017 E300
Ceramic coating.

wife has opticoat pro + on her GLC. Was driving her black car all week after I washed it last weekend and still pretty clean. My car is already pretty dirty driving in the rain for a day. I’m surprised how well the coating does and how it sheds water so well.