E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Why can't we choose our internet provider?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 03:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
Why can't we choose our internet provider?

(Wanted to post this in the general forum as it's not model related, but that hardly gets any views...)

So why can't we choose our provider?

As far as I know (though I don't know much) by law you should have "choice" and monopolies are not allowed.

Here in France I can only get SFR (Vodaphone) and the prices are ridiculous:

1 day - 500mo - 5 eur
1 month - 3gb - 15 eur
1 month 10gb - 25 eur
1 year - 50gb - 120 eur (this is what I have right now)

I only use it to listen to the internet radio so I don't use much bandwith. but my year's subscription runs out before I've used all the data which I then lose...

to compair: I can have a MOBILE/CELLPHONE subscription for 2 euros a month with 2hrs free calls, unlimited text and 50mo data per month
or for 16 eur, unlimited phone/text & 100go per month

And because my car is "connected" I can not run internet through my mobile phone as I did with my w212...
Old 09-27-2018, 03:14 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
ES350 E300 GLE350 GMC3500 Duramax
Originally Posted by Egonvdv
(Wanted to post this in the general forum as it's not model related, but that hardly gets any views...)

So why can't we choose our provider?

As far as I know (though I don't know much) by law you should have "choice" and monopolies are not allowed.

Here in France I can only get SFR (Vodaphone) and the prices are ridiculous:

1 day - 500mo - 5 eur
1 month - 3gb - 15 eur
1 month 10gb - 25 eur
1 year - 50gb - 120 eur (this is what I have right now)

I only use it to listen to the internet radio so I don't use much bandwith. but my year's subscription runs out before I've used all the data which I then lose...

to compair: I can have a MOBILE/CELLPHONE subscription for 2 euros a month with 2hrs free calls, unlimited text and 50mo data per month
or for 16 eur, unlimited phone/text & 100go per month

And because my car is "connected" I can not run internet through my mobile phone as I did with my w212...
I had the same issue a couple years ago with a GMC truck but when I called someone but I have forgotten who I was allowed to put the truck in with my cell phones package because the truck actually had a cell phone number. Oh, how are your warped rotors issues?
Robert
Robert
Old 09-28-2018, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I doubt it would work with Mercedes since it has no phone number...?

brakes seem ok so far. especially when a brake hard every now & then to "clean" them.
but as advised int the other thread; the dealer tellsm me there still isn't an official solution.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:14 AM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic
Hi
am slowly working my way through the cars systems. I have started looking at the cars connectivity and have been able to connect android auto via the usb port......am i right in thinking this will not work via bluetooth?
i wanted to connect to the internet but cannot see how but from your post do i take it that the sim connection already in place means we cannot use our mobile connections and that we have to buy connection via mercedes?
if so how do we do that via the dealer?
If that is the case it is pretty poor and not to offer orange in france is a disgrace given they are the no1 provider and also the state carrier. Indeed i would have expected mercedes to have organised some sort of package with them we are a big enough market for that.
i cannot get mirrorlink to work either. The 2 phones (s7 and s9) tell me they are connected the car says it cannot connect...any suggestions?
i am reasonably able around phones and making things talk to one another but the whole set up seems overly complicated and if i cannot use my phone irritatingly expensive....in my view the car is not well connected at all bah humbug😖😖😖
Old 09-30-2018, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by parkwood
Hi
am slowly working my way through the cars systems. I have started looking at the cars connectivity and have been able to connect android auto via the usb port......am i right in thinking this will not work via bluetooth?
i wanted to connect to the internet but cannot see how but from your post do i take it that the sim connection already in place means we cannot use our mobile connections and that we have to buy connection via mercedes?
if so how do we do that via the dealer?.
If that is the case it is pretty poor and not to offer orange in france is a disgrace given they are the no1 provider and also the state carrier. Indeed i would have expected mercedes to have organised some sort of package with them we are a big enough market for that.
i cannot get mirrorlink to work either. The 2 phones (s7 and s9) tell me they are connected the car says it cannot connect...any suggestions?
i am reasonably able around phones and making things talk to one another but the whole set up seems overly complicated and if i cannot use my phone irritatingly expensive....in my view the car is not well connected at all bah humbug😖😖😖
You have two options.

1. Pay for internet service from Mercedes. In the US, MBUSA provides internet service via Verizon. You can't choose another ISP and you can pay for the service monthly, or to save money buy a 12/18/24 month package.
2. If you have unlimited Data from your cell service, you can use your phones Hot Spot to provide internet service.

I don't have unlimited data, so I bought an 18 month internet service from Mercedes. It's advantage is it can provide internet service to all your passengers at the same time.
Old 09-30-2018, 11:57 AM

Thanks for troubling to respond.
How do i connect my phone as a hotspot through the car.
i cannot find anywhere how i buy a data package via mercedes france.
what i expected without really looking into it was simply connecting my phone via bluetooth or usb and then i could access the phone and its apps and the net on the car screen and use my phone data package. Disappointed it seems i cannot.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for troubling to respond.
How do i connect my phone as a hotspot through the car.
i cannot find anywhere how i buy a data package via mercedes france.
what i expected without really looking into it was simply connecting my phone via bluetooth or usb and then i could access the phone and its apps and the net on the car screen and use my phone data package. Disappointed it seems i cannot.
Does your phone offer hot spot capability? If it does turn it on. Then go to your car settings > System > Wifi and it should find your phone to connect.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 797 Likes on 629 Posts
Apple Car Play, Android Auto and Mirror Link (disabled in US) are built into the car. They allow you to run your phone apps from the car. I tried AA with my Galaxy S9 but didn't like it due to the fact that it uses only a portion of the display. It did use my T-Mobile unlimited data stream ($30/month).
Old 09-30-2018, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 797 Likes on 629 Posts
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
Does your phone offer hot spot capability? If it does turn it on. Then go to your car settings > System > Wifi and it should find your phone to connect.
In the US that capability is only available with an monthly cost mbrace package. When one tries to connect a message regarding the package is displayed.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ua549
In the US that capability is only available with an monthly cost mbrace package. When one tries to connect a message regarding the package is displayed.
TBT, I never tried to use Hot Spot as I just realize when it comes to Mercedes, it's almost always easier to just do it their way and I bought the internet service for 18 months when I took deliver of the car.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hotspot doesn't work with a connected car (built in internet)
only cars that don't have this feature can run internet through the phone
Old 10-01-2018, 04:01 AM

hotspot doesn't work with a connected car (built in internet)
only cars that don't have this feature can run internet through the phone
how do i get a plan for the car strangely searching has thrown up nothing. I assume i should have looked at the configeurater better! Given android auto works for internet radio i might not bother but was hoping i could access youtube for entertainment when stuck at a ferryport. Mind you with whats happening in the uk think delays will be beyond even youtubes ability lessen the boredom.....
i am disappointed mercedes have closed down the system though leaves a little bit of a bad taste extracting every last centime.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi
if so how do we do that via the dealer?
i am reasonably able around phones and making things talk to one another but the whole set up seems overly complicated and if i cannot use my phone irritatingly expensive....in my view the car is not well connected at all bah humbug������
go to your Mercedes me page & click "Volume de données pour les services Internet"
this will take you to the SFR/Vodaphone page where you can buy a bundle
it gets registered to the car immediately as it indeed has a built in sim

mirror link needs to be activated in the engineer menu I think ...

Last edited by Egonvdv; 10-01-2018 at 04:08 AM.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:13 AM

go to your Mercedes me page & click "Volume de données pour les services Internet"
this will take you to the SFR/Vodaphone page where you can buy a bundle
it gets registered to the car immediately as it indeed has a built in sim

mirror link needs to be activated in the engineer menu I think ...
thank you your help is much appreciated.