Performance Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 11:19 PM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
2019 E450 Cabriolet, 2020 GLS450
Performance Tires

Ok... need some advice....

Been enjoying my E450 Cab for almost two weeks. When I ordered her back in May, for some reason, NetStar would not allow all-season tires to be configured, even though it was allowed in the DOG. Now sorry to sound like a dolt, but I didn’t really understand that “performance tires” really meant “summer tires” and I really didn’t even know what those were.

Now im scared to death. I love in central Virginia so the “snow” days are only a very small part of the winter. But it does get cold. I’ve read that you’ll practically die and your wheels will explode (sarcasm) if you drive with summer tires under 40 degrees.

I brought this up to my SA (who has been awesome) and said not to worry about it. He has a C series AMG and always has the performance tires on it (for a few years) and has never had an issue with tire cracking or skidding or anything. I don’t know why he would lie to me (he hasn’t though this whole process) because I would likely just buy new tires from him — so he is telling me I don’t need to spend more money with him.

So do just leave them on or spend $1500 on more tires on a car I’ve owned for two weeks? Just FYI... I have nowhere to store the 4 current tires to put them back in next spring. If I do this, it’ll be all season that will permanently stay on.

Thanks for advice.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:22 AM

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts
2015 ML350+2021 E350
Originally Posted by sackboydad
Ok... need some advice....

Been enjoying my E450 Cab for almost two weeks. When I ordered her back in May, for some reason, NetStar would not allow all-season tires to be configured, even though it was allowed in the DOG. Now sorry to sound like a dolt, but I didn’t really understand that “performance tires” really meant “summer tires” and I really didn’t even know what those were.

Now im scared to death. I love in central Virginia so the “snow” days are only a very small part of the winter. But it does get cold. I’ve read that you’ll practically die and your wheels will explode (sarcasm) if you drive with summer tires under 40 degrees.

I brought this up to my SA (who has been awesome) and said not to worry about it. He has a C series AMG and always has the performance tires on it (for a few years) and has never had an issue with tire cracking or skidding or anything. I don’t know why he would lie to me (he hasn’t though this whole process) because I would likely just buy new tires from him — so he is telling me I don’t need to spend more money with him.
Thanks for advice.
Great question. Manufacturers do seem to share the caution of not using summer tires below 40 degrees. The rubber compound apparently remains stiff, inflexible which can lead to traction issues. I'll bet the lawyers told them to say that. Nevertheless, and no disrespect, but maybe your SA's opinion should be corroborated. if you do choose to go All Season, you may be able to find tire dealers who will give you a "trade in" on your current tires. I believe America's Tire (Discount Tire in some areas) does this. Others may also. Might be worth a few phone calls.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:52 AM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
W213
There is no problem with driving summer tires at low temperatures. The main advantage of using winter (or all season) tires is the grip in snowy and icy circumstances.
In my country, with temperatures below zero in winter but not much snow, 65% of the people drive with summer tires throughout the year.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Cao Black
Great question. Manufacturers do seem to share the caution of not using summer tires below 40 degrees. The rubber compound apparently remains stiff, inflexible which can lead to traction issues. I'll bet the lawyers told them to say that. Nevertheless, and no disrespect, but maybe your SA's opinion should be corroborated. if you do choose to go All Season, you may be able to find tire dealers who will give you a "trade in" on your current tires. I believe America's Tire (Discount Tire in some areas) does this. Others may also. Might be worth a few phone calls.
hmmm. The trade-in is something I hadn’t thought about.. however I guess I’d need to look carefully at MB tire and wheel insurance policy I bought at purchase to make sure it doesn’t say I have to buy from MB and/or have them installed by MB
Old 09-28-2018, 07:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 E350 wagon
I suggest you look up the characteristics of your tires on a site such as Tire Rack. If they are "Performance All-season", or any of the variations such as High or UltraHigh Performance you should be fine. On there other hand if in fact they are truly "Summer" tires then not withstanding some of the opinions above winter driving will be challenging. In my experience at below freezing temps, summer tires tend to get firm, are much less forgiving, and lose substantial traction. If there is ANY snow or ice on the road you will not have very much if any traction at all, nor will you have much ability to stop.

I suggest you post your question and include the tire brand and model on the Tires & Wheels section of this forum where the Tire Rack moderator can weigh in.

'
Old 09-28-2018, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by bah212
I suggest you look up the characteristics of your tires on a site such as Tire Rack. If they are "Performance All-season", or any of the variations such as High or UltraHigh Performance you should be fine. On there other hand if in fact they are truly "Summer" tires then not withstanding some of the opinions above winter driving will be challenging. In my experience at below freezing temps, summer tires tend to get firm, are much less forgiving, and lose substantial traction. If there is ANY snow or ice on the road you will not have very much if any traction at all, nor will you have much ability to stop.

I suggest you post your question and include the tire brand and model on the Tires & Wheels section of this forum where the Tire Rack moderator can weigh in.
'
Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll re-post there. I’m 99% sure they are summer tires. I entered the codes for both sets of staggered tires and it did not say all-season
Old 09-28-2018, 07:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 553 Likes on 417 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Many years ago, I had performance, summer not all seasons tires, on my front drive Mitsubishi 3000 GT. We had snow and I drove it to see how it would do - thinking the front wheel drive would overcome any deficiencies of the performance tires.

I was wrong. Car had absolutely no grip in snow.

I now have a Porsche Boxster also with performance tires. It too is a "no go" in snow.

I am fully familiar driving in snow from three years in law school in Syracuse, NY where it snowed every day and I had no trouble in my 1966 Ford Mustang GT and from over 40 plus years of driving back and forth to Vermont in all kinds of snow conditions and blizzards.

So my conclusion is: you really do not want to be on summer tires in snow.

As for cold, my understanding is that summer tires lose a great deal of traction below or near freezing. I am not talking about tire cracking because of cold, (I doubt that will happen) but loss of traction. The compound and formulas of performance tires are meant for warm to hot (caused by high speeds) not cold temperatures.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Follow up from TireRack.com:

TIRE TECH: DON'T DRIVE SUMMER PERFORMANCE TIRES IN COLD TEMPERATURES

Whether you blame it on climate change, a polar vortex or what seems to be the beginning of the next ice age, there's no doubt recent weather patterns have exposed many drivers to freezing temperatures and wintery driving conditions. In anticipation of the next time Mother Nature extends her cold reach, drivers with vehicles equipped with summer performance tires need to know those tires are not designed for near- or below-freezing temperatures on clear roads, nor in slush, snow and ice.

When faced with near- and below-freezing temperatures, drivers should leave their summer performance tire-equipped vehicle at home and drive a vehicle equipped with all-season or winter tires.

Summer performance tires feature tread compounds engineered to provide traction in warm to hot ambient temperatures. They were never intended to experience near- and below-freezing temperatures, nor the wintry driving conditions that often accompany them.

As ambient temperatures get colder, typically in the 40-45° Fahrenheit range, summer performance tires lose a noticeable percentage of traction as their tread compound rubber properties change from a pliable elastic to inflexible plastic. The tire industry uses the term "glass transition" to describe the temperature where a summer performance tire's grip/slip performance changes dramatically. This means the summer performance tires that provide predictable traction in warm to hot conditions will be found to be very challenging to drive in cold to freezing temperatures. This is especially true when the tires first begin to be driven or if the driver aggressively applies gas pedal pressure with today's turbocharged fours or high-torque sixes and eights. Fortunately, glass transition is a reversible condition that allows the tires' normal traction to return as the ambient temperatures climb.

If ambient temperatures drop to near- or below-freezing, driving or rolling a vehicle equipped with summer performance tires risks the possibility of tread compound cracking. Tread compound cracking is a permanent condition that requires the tires to be replaced. The other condition that can be caused by running summer performance tires in cold temperatures is the possibility of chipping away the edges of the tread blocks.

Since both of these conditions only occur as the result of what's considered improper use or storage, they are not typically covered by the manufacturer's warranty.
The following users liked this post:
gfmohn (10-02-2018)
Old 09-28-2018, 04:26 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic
Here in europe winter tyres are a big issue with alpine countries legally requiring a change over at the start of the winter season. In austria drivers tend to have steel wheels for winter and only alloys in the summer. Garages offer a storage service for the spare set. The cars look awful in winter!
In germany if you have an accident and the lack of winter tyres has contributed you will be prosecuted and fined as well as declared culpable for the accident.
i live in normandie france not famed for snow but daytime temperatures dec to mar are generally below 7deg centigrade and I run winter tyres after experiencing 2 yrs of mercedes rwd ownership and the cars inability to cope with what little snow we do get which is wet and slushy. I actually thought the car just too dangerous to drive on our rural roads.
So i changed to a 4matic and winter tyres. Mercedes sell wheel and tyre packs and for the first time my garage are this year now offering free storage but i have plenty of space to store a set of wheels. However loading them in and out of the car is a faff and would not work for saloon owners.
having both sets means i have optimum for the two seasons.
In the uk there is some resistance to winter tyres based on the fact snow days are generally rare but when they do occur the country is seriously gridlocked but winter tyres are not just about snow they also work better in cooler temperatures....they are actually much safer with a reduced stopping distance over summer tyres in cooler temperatures.
Having 2 sets of tyres is not an additional cost as the wear is shared so it is only the wheel cost and they have a resale value.
Given the price of our cars a winter wheel set is not too an unreasonable additional expense.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by parkwood
Here in europe winter tyres are a big issue with alpine countries legally requiring a change over at the start of the winter season. In austria drivers tend to have steel wheels for winter and only alloys in the summer. Garages offer a storage service for the spare set. The cars look awful in winter!
In germany if you have an accident and the lack of winter tyres has contributed you will be prosecuted and fined as well as declared culpable for the accident.
i live in normandie france not famed for snow but daytime temperatures dec to mar are generally below 7deg centigrade and I run winter tyres after experiencing 2 yrs of mercedes rwd ownership and the cars inability to cope with what little snow we do get which is wet and slushy. I actually thought the car just too dangerous to drive on our rural roads.
So i changed to a 4matic and winter tyres. Mercedes sell wheel and tyre packs and for the first time my garage are this year now offering free storage but i have plenty of space to store a set of wheels. However loading them in and out of the car is a faff and would not work for saloon owners.
having both sets means i have optimum for the two seasons.
In the uk there is some resistance to winter tyres based on the fact snow days are generally rare but when they do occur the country is seriously gridlocked but winter tyres are not just about snow they also work better in cooler temperatures....they are actually much safer with a reduced stopping distance over summer tyres in cooler temperatures.
Having 2 sets of tyres is not an additional cost as the wear is shared so it is only the wheel cost and they have a resale value.
Given the price of our cars a winter wheel set is not too an unreasonable additional expense.
thank you, everyone, for the replies. I’ve decided to purchase the all-season tires. It just doesn’t normally stay super cold or snowy or icy enough to justify “winter” tires but I’ve had all seasons on my other cars for years and they work fine. But I’ll hold on to my summer tires. Don’t know whether it’s a good deal or not, but my dealer said it’s $160 to change and balance all 4 tires.
Old 09-28-2018, 11:21 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
c400
honestly, i don't really mind driving summer tires in the winter as long as there is no snow on the ground. I've actually had summer tires on my last car and it snowed out of nowhere so I had no choice to but drive it and it was okay. Do i recommend it? Nope. But just driving normally in the winter with summer tires, i personally don't mind. They do get a bit harder and they might not perform as well as if it was driven in the summer but it did just fine for me.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:42 AM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Originally Posted by richysh
honestly, i don't really mind driving summer tires in the winter as long as there is no snow on the ground. I've actually had summer tires on my last car and it snowed out of nowhere so I had no choice to but drive it and it was okay. Do i recommend it? Nope. But just driving normally in the winter with summer tires, i personally don't mind. They do get a bit harder and they might not perform as well as if it was driven in the summer but it did just fine for me.
I'll take the expert opinion of Tire Rack over your experience.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:45 AM

I’m going to put all-season touring tires on. Obviously summer tires would be better in the warm WX but what kind of penalty will I have if I just leave them on all year round? I’m not racing the Daytona or trying to make my cabriolet corner like the car is on rails.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:24 PM

"All-season" means in all seasons; "summer" means in summer.

I’m going to put all-season touring tires on. Obviously summer tires would be better in the warm WX but what kind of penalty will I have if I just leave them on all year round? I’m not racing the Daytona or trying to make my cabriolet corner like the car is on rails.
But you do live near real mountains! The penalty you might pay could be your life (and the lives of others, in your car and in other cars)! This means you just can't do it! What is wrong with you people? You have the expert opinion of Tire Rack; yet you want to substitute your own judgment. Denial is not just a river in Egypt. The opinion of Tire Rack should end the discussion. Next subject, please.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by gfmohn
But you do live near real mountains! The penalty you might pay could be your life (and the lives of others, in your car and in other cars)! This means you just can't do it! What is wrong with you people? You have the expert opinion of Tire Rack; yet you want to substitute your own judgment. Denial is not just a river in Egypt. The opinion of Tire Rack should end the discussion. Next subject, please.
I don’t live near mountains. I live in east central Virginia. Yes we get some snow a few times in the winter but it doesn’t really stay for long and if it does they clear the roads.

Besides we we also have two 4x4 SUVs we can use rather than a sports car :-)
Old 10-02-2018, 01:34 PM

Sorry

I don’t live near mountains. I live in east central Virginia. Yes we get some snow a few times in the winter but it doesn’t really stay for long and if it does they clear the roads.

Besides we we also have two 4x4 SUVs we can use rather than a sports car :-)
The only Roseville that came up on Google Maps was between Sacramento CA and the Sierras. Still, the Tire Rack warning is not restricted to mountain driving or other difficult conditions. And, of course, if you're mot going to drive your summer tires in winter conditions below 45 F, your question is irrelevant.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Just once again my $.02:

I have been driving to Vermont for over 20 years in Subaru's, Acura MDX's, Audi A6, BMW 5 series and now my E350. All are AWD and all had all season tires - not winter tires.

I was able to drive through everything in the Subaru, Audi and MDX, as they are FWD biased AWD cars. I never ever needed winter tires. Rock solid in all bad weather conditions. If the roads were open I got through!

As to both the BMW and Mercedes: neither as good as either the Subaru, Audi or MDX, but never had trouble with either in up to 8 to 10 inches of snow. The Mercedes is slightly better than the BMW.

However, if I lived in Vermont, then I would seriously consider switching to winter tires.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 771 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by gfmohn
The only Roseville that came up on Google Maps was between Sacramento CA and the Sierras. Still, the Tire Rack warning is not restricted to mountain driving or other difficult conditions. And, of course, if you're mot going to drive your summer tires in winter conditions below 45 F, your question is irrelevant.
Search for Roseville, VA in Google Earth. It pops right up. Altitude is 322 feet.