E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Bought Dealer E300 Loaner and hate driving it

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2018, 09:17 AM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
E400
I might be going off topic, but here is my story. I had a E300 loaner.go
I had the car for three days and on the third day was an hour plus away from the dealership. They service advisor called and asked if I could come in with the car as they had sold it. When I arrived, the new owner was there. He had purchased the car sight unseen and was going to drive for Uber with it. He did not car about mileage, ride, or any of the issues you have raised. I think the loaner to owner program at my dealership is aimed at people like him.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 E300
Thanks to everyone that responded, those were thoughtful and valid suggestions. I have an appointment to take the car in Monday morning before I head to the airport, so I will start implementing some of those ideas. In the spirit of completeness, I will update the thread in a few days, should there be any relevant progress of interest..
Old 10-21-2018, 03:19 PM

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
Originally Posted by Cambridgehank
I might be going off topic, but here is my story. I had a E300 loaner.go
I had the car for three days and on the third day was an hour plus away from the dealership. They service advisor called and asked if I could come in with the car as they had sold it. When I arrived, the new owner was there. He had purchased the car sight unseen and was going to drive for Uber with it. He did not car about mileage, ride, or any of the issues you have raised. I think the loaner to owner program at my dealership is aimed at people like him.
That is likely the first and last time that new owner brings that E300 back to any MB dealership. Most likely he will use it for as long as it holds up, while doing as little to maintain it as possible, and then dump it at whatever car dealership he happens to buy his next Uber car from. Another future "great bargain on a used MB" for whomever buys that car next.

Someone should really try to keep track of the VIN numbers of cars like this one you speak of, so when the next owner of these cars starts posting on these forums about how many problems the car has, we can at least tell them a bit of history on their "great bargsins".
Old 10-21-2018, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 434 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Again just my $.02:

Mercedes dealers are looking for late models with low mileage.

I predict that this uber Mercedes will never see another Mercedes dealership: In a few year it will probably have over 100,000 miles on it and in 5 years over 200,000 miles. Whatever minimal service will be done outside of Mercedes. No Mercedes dealer will be interested in any Mercedes with that kind of mileage and lack of service records..
Old 10-22-2018, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,165 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by JTK44
Again just my $.02:

Mercedes dealers are looking for late models with low mileage.

I predict that this uber Mercedes will never see another Mercedes dealership: In a few year it will probably have over 100,000 miles on it and in 5 years over 200,000 miles. Whatever minimal service will be done outside of Mercedes. No Mercedes dealer will be interested in any Mercedes with that kind of mileage and lack of service records..
I can't see it lasting that long if it was for Uber. Would make more sense if it was a limo company where they can charge more. Unless they have multiple drivers, there's no way it will make enough money to cover the costs of the car.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:12 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2024 E 350
I have a 2018 E300 and experienced the same problem you mentioned where when you slow down to about 20 mph and step on the gas you feel that "nothingness" for about 2 seconds and then it goes. I took it to the dealer and got the same answer you did where they couldn't find what the problem was. At the same time they said they will do a software "reset" and to let them know if that did anything. That reset actually took away that hesitation completely.
Otherwise this is a really nice car and I really feel secure driving it.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 E300
I complete agree with your driving reactions. I was completely astounded when I drove the C300 loaner and noticed that the cars throttle response, sound and general swiftness was a 100% better. Having driven other 4-cyl luxo sedans this was a disappointment.

On to handling, is it just me or do the front tires lack serious grip and the suspension articulation over bumps?

#complaintsofaperformacecarguy #passthecarontowifey
Old 10-22-2018, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 797 Likes on 629 Posts
I fixed the responsiveness issue by using the individual mode settings. Set the engine at either sport or sport+ and keep the other settings on comfort unless you like a harder ride.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:31 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2024 E 350
The problem with that is that it uses more gas......
The thing is if you got the car after someone else drove for a while it'll try to adjust to that person's driving habits. My car only had 3 miles on it when I got it and it had the same problem you had, but after the reset to default my problem disappeared in all modes. You might want to consider asking the dealer to reset it for you....

Alan.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:10 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 E300 Sport, 2017 GLC300 Sport/Night
Originally Posted by jimfitzwater
I HATE the Eco stop, the car shudders hard when it restarts, especially at a light when I'm running the AC. Feels like someone just ran into me. But I just have to live with that, I think.
As has been mentioned above, this can be programmed away with an OBDII dongle (from Mid City Engineering or from vladimircdi on eBay).

Originally Posted by jimfitzwater
Here are the issues...shifting in low gears is rough and a little awkward. Anything under 30 MPH seems anything but smooth, but I can't tell if that comes with a 4 cylinder turbo powering a heavier car or if something is wrong. In Comfort, it's enough I feel every shift, but Sport is way worse. I only use Sport now if I want tighter suspension. Coming up to a stop sign and taking your foot off the accelerator, the downshift is hard and violent enough I feel myself propelled forward. Reviews had the transmission described as "seamless", but it is anything but. Nothing feels smooth even driving through my neighborhood.
My wife has a '17 E300 and has none of these problems. On my '17 GLC300, however, which has the same M274 engine and 9G-Tronic transmission, I get harsh downshifts under coasting/light braking, but only if I've recently begun driving: it seems that things sort themselves out once everything has warmed up. You might be able to convince the dealer to reflash the transmission software, but there's no guarantee that will help. It didn't change the behavior in my case.

Best of luck to you!