E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

3D Nav Display Not Rendering Buildings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'18 E300, '11 E350 Cabriolet, '06 C230
3D Nav Display Not Rendering Buildings

I have had my U.S. spec 2018 E300 for nearly a year since I took delivery of the car at Sindelfingen, Germany last November 15th (Euro delivery with dropoff point: Geneva, Switzerland). Absolutely love the car. However, the only thing that's driving me nuts is the lack of buildings being rendered in 3D on the nav screen when in urban areas. I have the P1 model and my dealer is claiming that the 3D function (where downtown skyscrapers are rendered in 3D when in urban areas like Dallas or Fort Worth) is NOT AVAILABLE because it's a P1 optioned car. They say that it must be P2 to do that. However, I recently noticed that if I stop the car, push the Command console toggle switch in the center down and scroll over to "Show POI's," that the nav WILL render nearby buildings in 3D but only in a freeze frame of that area and not continuing as I drive away from that area on the screen at that moment.

What I am trying to duplicate is an experience I had with a 2017 E300 loaner last year before I bought my new 2018. I thought at the time how cool it was that when driving through downtown with the nav screen on, all the downtown buildings appeared in 3D as you drove under or between them. Well, my 2018 E300 does not do that while driving; only while pulling up the POI's manually. YET, on one occasion last month while visiting Dallas, and AFTER I returned to my car and RESTARTED it, it briefly rendered the nearby buildings in 3D for only a few minutes WITHOUT manually selecting nearby POI's to display. I read earlier that someone suspected for Live Traffic for example, that the car is inconsistent in connecting with its Internet hotspot, and I thought maybe this is a similar symptom.

It seems to me something is wrong because it's doing this sporadically and not consistently. I believe this idea of the dealer telling me I have a lower spec vehicle (P1 instead of P2) is baloney. Can someone else chime in here about their 3D nav experience? Does anyone else have this issue? Does anyone else's P1 optioned car render buildings in 3D because mine will not. I tried to get the dealer to download a software update but they said it already has the most current and recent update, so they didn't even try. I am also wondering if by chance since my car had the Euro nav maps on it when I was in Germany with it, that when it went to the Vehicle Prep Center at the US port and was converted to US specs, that maybe they left something off accidentally that the normal US cars have directly out of the factory.... Ideas anyone?
Old 05-14-2024, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E220d Tmodel 4matic
Originally Posted by Hermes048
I have had my U.S. spec 2018 E300 for nearly a year since I took delivery of the car at Sindelfingen, Germany last November 15th (Euro delivery with dropoff point: Geneva, Switzerland). Absolutely love the car. However, the only thing that's driving me nuts is the lack of buildings being rendered in 3D on the nav screen when in urban areas. I have the P1 model and my dealer is claiming that the 3D function (where downtown skyscrapers are rendered in 3D when in urban areas like Dallas or Fort Worth) is NOT AVAILABLE because it's a P1 optioned car. They say that it must be P2 to do that. However, I recently noticed that if I stop the car, push the Command console toggle switch in the center down and scroll over to "Show POI's," that the nav WILL render nearby buildings in 3D but only in a freeze frame of that area and not continuing as I drive away from that area on the screen at that moment.

What I am trying to duplicate is an experience I had with a 2017 E300 loaner last year before I bought my new 2018. I thought at the time how cool it was that when driving through downtown with the nav screen on, all the downtown buildings appeared in 3D as you drove under or between them. Well, my 2018 E300 does not do that while driving; only while pulling up the POI's manually. YET, on one occasion last month while visiting Dallas, and AFTER I returned to my car and RESTARTED it, it briefly rendered the nearby buildings in 3D for only a few minutes WITHOUT manually selecting nearby POI's to display. I read earlier that someone suspected for Live Traffic for example, that the car is inconsistent in connecting with its Internet hotspot, and I thought maybe this is a similar symptom.

It seems to me something is wrong because it's doing this sporadically and not consistently. I believe this idea of the dealer telling me I have a lower spec vehicle (P1 instead of P2) is baloney. Can someone else chime in here about their 3D nav experience? Does anyone else have this issue? Does anyone else's P1 optioned car render buildings in 3D because mine will not. I tried to get the dealer to download a software update but they said it already has the most current and recent update, so they didn't even try. I am also wondering if by chance since my car had the Euro nav maps on it when I was in Germany with it, that when it went to the Vehicle Prep Center at the US port and was converted to US specs, that maybe they left something off accidentally that the normal US cars have directly out of the factory.... Ideas anyone?
HI!
I know that this is an old post and you probably don't have the same car anymore but I found a solution to the same problem with dealer, importer or manual being no help whatsoever.

While in nav screen, push the center console and than again, scrool to the top, press it again and while map is in 2d mode, press back on the same console and voila 3D buildings are there. Unfortunately, there is no way to have it in default, so you have to go through the same procedure every time after restart if you want them

Best regards