Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W213)
Problem with Air Body Control suspension >

Problem with Air Body Control suspension

Notices
E-Class (W213) 2016 -

Problem with Air Body Control suspension

 
Old 11-15-2018, 10:39 AM
  #26  
Senior Member
 
nycebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 462
Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts
Mercedes Benz e450 Wagon / Porsche 911 Cabriolet
Back to back, RFTs don't compare to regular tires. They are firmer and more jittery and decidedly heavier. The reinforced sidewall of the RFT simply allows for continued driving. That's the RFT advantage as described...the driver can limp home/work/shop after a flat for up to 30-50 miles at up to a reasonable speed. However, neither type of tire "should" ever BLOW out. Biggest issues are leaks and punctures. A can of tire sealant "should" do the same for a normal tire.

Then again, the key is really proximity to shops. In NYC area, I'm going to drop the RFTs ASAP. But then, I have Uber and tow trucks everywhere. If I lived in central Wyoming, maybe it's a different story.
nycebo is offline  
Old 11-15-2018, 02:26 PM
  #27  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 80
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
W213
Originally Posted by Haag View Post
On seemingly flawless flat road surfaces the suspension passes (very) small bumps disproportionately hard into the interior. As a result I can almost constanly feel irregular vibrations in the car which seriously affect the comfort.
Today was the first assessment by the dealer of my problem. The words of the workshop manager were: "I feel what you mean, but this is the case with all Mercedes cars". Hard to believe and on the basis of my own experience simply not true! An appointment for further service has been made for a check of the ABC-software, a consult of the Mercedes database and to be sure the chassis and tires will be checked in order to establish that they are technically sound. But I should not have too much hope that it could be solved the workshop manager also said........

Because I foresee that it will lead to a solid discussion I hereby again ask air suspension drivers to shortly respond and indicate whether they recognize the problem I have described or absolutely not. These reports can help me enormously in the coming discussion. Thanks in advance and of course also thanks to the people who have already responded earlier.

Last edited by Haag; 11-15-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Haag is offline  
Old 11-15-2018, 02:58 PM
  #28  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 316
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
e300
Originally Posted by Haag View Post
Today was the first assessment by the dealer of my problem. The words of the workshop manager were: "I feel what you mean, but this is the case with all Mercedes cars". Hard to believe and on the basis of my own experience simply not true! An appointment for further service has been made for a check of the ABC-software, a consult of the Mercedes database and to be sure the chassis and tires will be checked in order to establish that they are technically sound. But I should not have too much hope that it could be solved the workshop manager also said........

Because I foresee that it will lead to a solid discussion I hereby again ask air suspension drivers to shortly respond and indicate whether they recognize the problem I have described or absolutely not. These reports can help me enormously in the coming discussion. Thanks in advance and of course also thanks to the people who have already responded earlier.
This is what i would have expected. I took the advisor, salesmen and foreman on test drives and they would all say it feels normal. Driving 5 mins around the block will not cut it and to take them to the highways with the nice roads were just too far. I would insist you get a loaner and see if it feels the same, obviously if it has ABC would be best but if not you can still tell if it drives the same... or take a test drive with one that has ABC on the same roads...
jhpmbusa is offline  
Old 11-16-2018, 10:56 AM
  #29  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 80
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
W213
Originally Posted by jhpmbusa View Post
... or take a test drive with one that has ABC on the same roads...
After I drove my car with a mechanic and a second drive with the workshop manager we drove an other car with ABC to compare. Unfortunately this car had 19 inch rims with runflat tires as mine has 17 inch non-runflat. I found the other car slightly better but the workshop manager thought it felt the same as my car. But he completely ignored the fact that with my tires it should be a much more comfortable ride. In his eyes it was all the same. So much for technical insight I would say....
Haag is offline  
Old 11-16-2018, 11:11 AM
  #30  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 316
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
e300
Originally Posted by Haag View Post
After I drove my car with a mechanic and a second drive with the workshop manager we drove an other car with ABC to compare. Unfortunately this car had 19 inch rims with runflat tires as mine has 17 inch non-runflat. I found the other car slightly better but the workshop manager thought it felt the same as my car. But he completely ignored the fact that with my tires it should be a much more comfortable ride. In his eyes it was all the same. So much for technical insight I would say....
Correct, it easier for them to convince you there is nothing wrong then trying to fix the issue to something they have no idea how to fix! To them its just going down a rabbit hole unfortunately. All i can tell you is to keep pressing until they try all options possible and if still nothing contact the CAC and report the incident at least. This way you have it on record and they can try to do something about it at least...

to be honest the 19 vs 17, run flat vs non flat shouldn't make a world of a difference either way. try to get them to the same road where it is most noticeable and the mph, then you/they can set it on cruise control and repeat the vibration.

by the way how did you even get non run flats? didnt even think this was possible. where are you located? USA?
jhpmbusa is offline  
Old 11-16-2018, 11:56 AM
  #31  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
rbrylaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,333
Liked 272 Times in 225 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
He's in the Netherlands.
rbrylaw is offline  
Old 11-17-2018, 06:17 AM
  #32  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 80
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
W213
Originally Posted by rbrylaw View Post
He's in the Netherlands.
Correct. For 17,18 en some 19 inch rims we can choose whether we want runflat or not.
Haag is offline  
Old 11-17-2018, 06:52 AM
  #33  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
rustybear3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Greater Cleveland area
Posts: 1,099
Liked 92 Times in 83 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet
I don't have the air suspension system on my E450 CAB, have the same tires (Pirelli) as the OP, and don't have any of the vibration issues mentioned. It's a very smooth ride, even over bumps.

I agree, I'd start by getting rid of the rf's. I've been lucky, so far, in my short ownership of my car with the rf's......but at the first sign of trouble, I won't hesitate to get rid of them and get me a .pair of Turanza Serenity's to replace them.

There is no doubt that rf's run harder and are subject to more vibration on the road than regular tires.
rustybear3 is offline  
Old 11-17-2018, 06:54 AM
  #34  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
ua549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 2,144
Liked 229 Times in 198 Posts
.
Originally Posted by Haag View Post
Correct. For 17,18 en some 19 inch rims we can choose whether we want runflat or not.
Do you get a spare tire when you don't have runflats? If so, how is it stored.
ua549 is offline  
Old 11-17-2018, 07:19 AM
  #35  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 80
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
W213
Originally Posted by ua549 View Post
Do you get a spare tire when you don't have runflats? If so, how is it stored.
No, you don't get a spare tire. The car is delivered with a tirefit-set. This set contains a small compressor and a special kind of chemical good that you can put into a flat tire. But that is not a very good solution. It does not always work and the tire can not be fixed anymore after using that stuff. So best is to call the service-line if you have a flat tire.
Haag is offline  
Old 11-17-2018, 10:25 AM
  #36  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
ua549's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Clearwater, Florida
Posts: 2,144
Liked 229 Times in 198 Posts
.
I have something similar I used with my BMW. Now it is in my E300 w/runflats.
ua549 is offline  
Old 11-19-2018, 05:46 PM
  #37  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 350
Likes: 0
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
C class s205 250 bluetec executive line 4matic
I had my winter tyres fitted today and they are run flats. I bought them as a wheel tyre package as the wheels match my summer set.
I am actually pleasantly surprised in that they have not altered the charateristics of the ride to any great degree but oddly on very smooth surfaces they are less smooth than the summer tyres just a minor feeling of lots of tiny imperfections i suspect a similar sensation to the OP.
summer tyres are pirelli cinturato and winters are dunlop wintersport 4 17inch rims ABC suspension 4 matic estate (wagon).
parkwood is offline  
Old 11-20-2018, 10:08 AM
  #38  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 80
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
W213
Originally Posted by parkwood View Post
but oddly on very smooth surfaces they are less smooth than the summer tyres just a minor feeling of lots of tiny imperfections i suspect a similar sensation to the OP.
Apparently this suspension is very sensitive for the brand/kind of tire. It's not very clear which aspect has the most influance on the mentioned behaviour. At one hand wintertires have a softer rubber composition and on the other hand run-flats are mostly stiffer than normal tires. This shows that it will probably pay off for me to experiment with different tires. Although its remarkable that you don't have the problem with your summertires as they are the same as mine.
Haag is offline  
Old 11-20-2018, 10:36 AM
  #39  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 316
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
e300
Originally Posted by Haag View Post
That is exactly what I established during my test-drives with the BMW 5 series and that is also why I ultimately choose the W213.
Sad to hear that you still have the problem and your dealer could not fix it. I still have a little bit of hope that a software-update of my air suspension could change things. But with steel springs there is not much adjustment possible. I wonder, has your dealer tried other wheels/tyres to fix the problem?
yea i find it really odd that anyone would sign off on an idea as to having constant steering wheel feedback... how is that anyway attractive?? just dont get it.. its a 5 series and e class, its supposed to be smooth like hot knife on butter.
jhpmbusa is offline  
Old 11-20-2018, 02:36 PM
  #40  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 7
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
E400 Wagon, A6C5 Allroad, E30s
2018 E400 S213 with ABC and acoustic package, AMG appearance, 19" AMG. Best riding car my wife and I have ever ridden in. I do not have the vibrations that you refer to. Would strongly recommend combo of ABC and acoustic package to anyone interest in E class
bradnic is offline  
The following users liked this post: bradnic
Haag (11-20-2018)
Old 12-05-2018, 12:16 PM
  #41  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 316
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
e300
any updates with the resolution?
jhpmbusa is offline  
Old 12-05-2018, 12:24 PM
  #42  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 80
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
W213
Originally Posted by jhpmbusa View Post
any updates with the resolution?
Not yet. My car goes to the dealer for service tomorrow. They are going to check the ABC-software, consult the Mercedes database and check the chassis and tires.
Haag is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:21 AM
  #43  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 80
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
W213
Originally Posted by Haag View Post
Not yet. My car goes to the dealer for service tomorrow. They are going to check the ABC-software, consult the Mercedes database and check the chassis and tires.
I just got back from the dealer. They could not find anything that was wrong but there were two updates for the ABC-software available, so they installed them. The workshop manager thought that is was a better ride now so I was hopefull. Unfortunately that was false hope. It is exactly the same as before the updates. So I went back straight away and after deliberation an appointment is made with a technician from the importer MB-Benelux. So to be continued.....
Haag is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 12:23 PM
  #44  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
W213
My subjective impressions with my (pre-owned) W213 220d 2016 MY also with ABC, acoustic comfort-package and 17 inch non-RFT-tires:
I notice at low speeds (approx. up to 40 kph/~25mph) and road with little surface bumps there is a "clunky" damping and driving comfort - in my expectation this could be better done, but IMHO I claim this on high level - and maybe specific for air-springs.
In compare with my forerunner BMW F11 (non M-style, but EDC dynamic damper control , frontaxle with steel spring, rearaxle with 1 chamber air-spring) had at same low speed situations with same wheel-dimension and tires (17 inch non RFTCONTI TS850 winter) a more smoother behave.
My MB was origin equipped with 19-inch summer wheels code R66 (275 rear / 245 front Good Year Eagle F1 RFT MOE). The 19 inch wheels had for me a significant negative taste on riding comfort (although with ABC much more vibrations and noise) so I changed to 17 inch non RFT summer wheels and sold the 19 inch wheels.

Unluckily the newer SW for your 2018-modell gave no improvements, on motor-talk people talked about it - but AFAIK for 2017 MY.
sausewind is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 01:12 PM
  #45  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 80
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
W213
Originally Posted by sausewind View Post
I notice at low speeds (approx. up to 40 kph/~25mph) and road with little surface bumps there is a "clunky" damping and driving comfort
Do you only notice this at low speeds and not at highway speeds?

on motor-talk people talked about it - but AFAIK for 2017 MY.
Yes I know this topic on Motor-talk. Someone even mentioned the exact software-version that solved the problem for him (in 2017). Unfortunately I found out today that the dealer can not install old software versions and MB Germany apparently does not support this.
Haag is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 06:35 PM
  #46  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 352
Liked 37 Times in 26 Posts
E63 AMG Estate
I have exactly the same issue but in my E63. I took to to be the reason being it’s a generally firmer ride and 20” wheels, but the inconsistency of the vibrations is leading me to think otherwise. On some roads it’s awesome, on speed bumps and other ‘big’ obstacles it actually handles things fine.

However, go over a slight crack in the road or some types of seemingly perfect road and I get this ‘jarring’.

I think I’ll get the local garage to give me a 3rd party view and then get it into the dealership.
Slugsy is offline  
Old 12-06-2018, 11:27 PM
  #47  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
2012 merc amg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Venice Florida
Posts: 2,635
Liked 148 Times in 133 Posts
2019 E450 Cabriolet and 2019 E450 Wagon.
I got a horrible ride with my 2018 E63 AMG, I kept trying to justify that it was super duper performance car and this was the price I pay for driving such a super performing car, but the ride was just completely unacceptable, my 2019 E450 Wagon with the harder sidewall 19 inch Run Flats rides much better than my AMG ever did. Same goes for my Cabrio too. I would never buy a car again with the Air Springs. Maybe there is some kind of issue with software or something that only affects certain cars.
2012 merc amg is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 12:17 AM
  #48  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
rustybear3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Greater Cleveland area
Posts: 1,099
Liked 92 Times in 83 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg View Post
I got a horrible ride with my 2018 E63 AMG, I kept trying to justify that it was super duper performance car and this was the price I pay for driving such a super performing car, but the ride was just completely unacceptable, my 2019 E450 Wagon with the harder sidewall 19 inch Run Flats rides much better than my AMG ever did. Same goes for my Cabrio too. I would never buy a car again with the Air Springs. Maybe there is some kind of issue with software or something that only affects certain cars.
Wow! Now you make me feel glad I didn't spring the extra $2000 for the Air suspension.
rustybear3 is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 08:55 AM
  #49  
Super Member
 
stephos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 510
Liked 47 Times in 46 Posts
MY19 E450 4MATIC Coupé
Originally Posted by rustybear3 View Post
Wow! Now you make me feel glad I didn't spring the extra $2000 for the Air suspension.
same here, except that the cost in the UK is £3,500
stephos is offline  
Old 12-07-2018, 11:37 AM
  #50  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 80
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
W213
There is a considerable difference between AMG and non-AMG Air Body Control.
AMG's have a much sportier alignment, even in the comfort setting.
And I'm told that there is also a difference between USA air suspension and the European one's.
Haag is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: