E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Movies on SD Card

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 04:00 PM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
E Class Estate S213
Movies on SD Card

Was just messing around earlier trying different combinations of Bluetooth iPhone, iPod, USB etc for music, podcasts etc and put some MP4’s on an SD Card and put it in. Played the movies straight away in small screen but then went to options and clicked full screen and got awesome widescreen high quality movies.

Obviously only when stationary, but will come in handy when waiting around etc. Just thought I would share...
The following users liked this post:
JTK44 (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Wow, good deal. I'll have to try this. How would I go about loading a movie onto a SD card using my iMac laptop. I see I do have what looks to be a SD card slot on the right side of my computer. So I buy some SD cards (what gig should I get?) and then what. I've never even tried loading a movie onto the hard drive for that matter so not even sure on that one?
Old 11-22-2018, 04:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 294 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
u can also put it on a usb stick.
but you either have to download a movie(illegally) or convert a DVD into mp4/avi format ...
Old 11-22-2018, 04:35 AM

E Class Estate S213
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
Wow, good deal. I'll have to try this. How would I go about loading a movie onto a SD card using my iMac laptop. I see I do have what looks to be a SD card slot on the right side of my computer. So I buy some SD cards (what gig should I get?) and then what. I've never even tried loading a movie onto the hard drive for that matter so not even sure on that one?
I got a 64Gb card but I guess any size would do depending on how much stuff you want to put on it.

i tried it with some You Tube videos and a home movie. Just saved movie on my Mac via iMovie and then transferred exported MP4 file onto SD. Changed media source in car to SD Card and worked straight off.

Most commercial DVD’s have copy rights unless you bought them and they have a digital version code in the box (most do - in UK at least)
Old 11-22-2018, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 771 Likes on 609 Posts
Originally Posted by Egonvdv
u can also put it on a usb stick.
but you either have to download a movie(illegally) or convert a DVD into mp4/avi format ...
Not all movie downloads are illegal. Where I live there are hundreds of movies available for free download from my local cable company for use on a PC, smart phone or smart TV. My local library also offers movie downloads with a 1 week expiration. That's great for titles that are only watched one time.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
I’ll have to give this a try. I’m not real computer savvy but worth a shot. I wish I could just buy movies on sd cards that would be easier for me lol.
Old 11-22-2018, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 294 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
Originally Posted by ua549
Not all movie downloads are illegal. Where I live there are hundreds of movies available for free download from my local cable company for use on a PC, smart phone or smart TV. My local library also offers movie downloads with a 1 week expiration. That's great for titles that are only watched one time.
you are right, but what I mean is legal movies can not be put on a usb stick or memory card because they are usually in a protected fomat (like you say; with 1 week expiration for instance)
Old 11-22-2018, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by Egonvdv
you are right, but what I mean is legal movies can not be put on a usb stick or memory card because they are usually in a protected fomat (like you say; with 1 week expiration for instance)
That's correct. Movies are DRM protected (Digital Rights Management), which makes movies, even ones you buy on DVD are encoded in a proprietary way to make it very difficult for the average person to copy and distribute.
Old 11-22-2018, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 771 Likes on 609 Posts
It is a no brainer to save live streaming video using a free open source app such as OBS Studio. It is a handy tool for saving live video from a camera. Not all streaming video is DRM protected. There many movies and feature films that are in the public domain. I do not advocate circumventing DRM because doing so is illegal.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC 250D, E220D, A4 Quattro
Does anyone know the maximum capacity of a memory card or USB memory that Comand Online (in W213) can read?
Many devices have limitations (for example, they can not read cards that have more than 32GB or 64GB), and I wonder if there is some capacity limit on Comand Online, because I would like to buy 128GB, 256GB or 512GB USB memory, but don't want to see that it can't be read (if) only after I buy it
Old 11-25-2018, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by Görtosing
Does anyone know the maximum capacity of a memory card or USB memory that Comand Online (in W213) can read?
Many devices have limitations (for example, they can not read cards that have more than 32GB or 64GB), and I wonder if there is some capacity limit on Comand Online, because I would like to buy 128GB, 256GB or 512GB USB memory, but don't want to see that it can't be read (if) only after I buy it
The owners manual doesn't list a size limit for memory cards. It says the following which leads me to believe you would have no issues with a larger size card as long as you don't exceed the following:
  • The multimedia system supports a total of up to 50,000 files.
  • Data storage media up to 2 TB are supported (32‑bit address space).
Old 11-25-2018, 10:13 AM

E Class Estate S213
Originally Posted by Görtosing
I use both a 128Gb SD card and a 256Gb USB drive with no problems. I don’t exceed the niumber of individual files (50k).

I also format ExFat which seems to work best.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:48 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Infiniti M35x
If you put your iTunes folder on an SD card, does the car read it properly (i.e listing albums and songs) or does it come through unorganized? (I wish I could phrase this question better,but hopefully you know what I mean)
Old 11-25-2018, 11:57 AM

E Class Estate S213
Originally Posted by Courthaven
If you put your iTunes folder on an SD card, does the car read it properly (i.e listing albums and songs) or does it come through unorganized? (I wish I could phrase this question better,but hopefully you know what I mean)
i haven’t tried that with the MB but that didn’t work with other cars I have had.

Go go to the iTunes folder under your user account and look for the iTunes Media folder, then music (you cannot use folders or songs in ‘Apple Music’ folder.)

Then copy all the folders (usually organised by iTunes in artist order) onto the SD Card or USB stick. Once this is put into car it will take a while for it to be indexed (Dependant on size). Once this is complete the function in the car will allow searching by artist or album or will allow random shuffle.

if you want playlists, that is a little more complicated but essentially you need to create playlists from the folders on the SD Card or USB and save them as M3u files. Depends on windows or Mac but easy to do with appropriate software eg Handbrake.

hope this helps!

Last edited by JDPEClassUK; 11-25-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:59 AM

E Class Estate S213
Have just put all the MB ‘How to’ Videos relating to functions on the E Class on a SD Card and can now search and play the videos in the car when stationary 😀.

Easier than looking in the handbook all the time!

Last edited by JDPEClassUK; 11-25-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:41 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Infiniti M35x
Originally Posted by JDPEClassUK

i haven’t tried that with the MB but that didn’t work with other cars I have had.

Go go to the iTunes folder under your user account and look for the iTunes Media folder, then music (you cannot use folders or songs in ‘Apple Music’ folder.)

Then copy all the folders (usually organised by iTunes in artist order) onto the SD Card or USB stick. Once this is put into car it will take a while for it to be indexed (Dependant on size). Once this is complete the function in the car will allow searching by artist or album or will allow random shuffle.

if you want playlists, that is a little more complicated but essentially you need to create playlists from the folders on the SD Card or USB and save them as M3u files. Depends on windows or Mac but easy to do with appropriate software eg Handbrake.

hope this helps!
Thanks a lot That is very helpful. Now I just need to wait about 3 more weeks until I get my car.