Reliability

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by Cao Black
How many of you read Consumer Reports before making your buying decision? How many bothered to go and check out the Car of the Year beforehand?

No offense, but based on the majority of the signatures listing previously owned Mercedes I'm guessing that CR reliability and MT "Car of the Year" opinions did little to influence most on this forum, including myself. That doesn't necessarily make their opinions wrong, just irrelevant in this case. Call me a car snob, but I'm not buying a Genesis regardless of the awards it wins.
I did neither. I wasn't concerned with either's review either. I'm a MB driver and based on my own personal experience gained over many years and many different MB cars, it's the right car company for me.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
Wow, really sorry you've had issues like this on both E cars. On the leather, it is fully covered under warranty, so if it is not wearing well, you have every right to expect and get the leather replaced. Just elevate the issue to the service manager. You should also expect they can resolve any rattles you have. And if your dealer won't accommodate you, go to a different dealer.
A different dealer is not always an option. In my area, it is a two to three hour drive to either of the two different dealers. Also, since car not purchased there and likely not to come back for service, would they really do more than another dealer would on what is obviously an issue that MBUSA would have to pay for?

Originally Posted by Cao Black
How many of you read Consumer Reports before making your buying decision? How many bothered to go and check out the Car of the Year beforehand?

No offense, but based on the majority of the signatures listing previously owned Mercedes I'm guessing that CR reliability and MT "Car of the Year" opinions did little to influence most on this forum, including myself. That doesn't necessarily make their opinions wrong, just irrelevant in this case. Call me a car snob, but I'm not buying a Genesis regardless of the awards it wins.
Not sure which car of the year you are addressing as many publications and websites have them. COTY is often based more on performance than other factors which are more important to me.
I did read CR and several other publications and websites before purchasing my 2010 "E." In fact, I held back on an M-B for many years because of their low reliability. Then about 2007, they began to come up for the "E" Class. Also, got high test reviews and so forth. CR and others highly recommended the "E" Class. So I jumped in.
Mine has a build date of Nov 2009, but is a 2010 model. Have had 15 significant problems since purchase. Most covered by warranties (thank God), but a couple of NPF's that are not serious, but should not be there in a $55,000 plus luxury car (2010 MSRP).
Glad you acknowledge the "car snob" factor. That is one reason why I purchased and kept an M-B. Have had discussions with people that work for dealership and they agree, the badge has a lot to do with purchases. M-B is well aware of that and one reason why the big star is on so many grilles now.
However, based on current "E" interior and exterior appearance and reliability, I would probably go with a Genesis G80 if I had to replace my E350.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:30 PM

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts
2015 ML350+2021 E350
Originally Posted by El Cid
A different dealer is not always an option. In my area, it is a two to three hour drive to either of the two different dealers. Also, since car not purchased there and likely not to come back for service, would they really do more than another dealer would on what is obviously an issue that MBUSA would have to pay for?

Not sure which car of the year you are addressing as many publications and websites have them. COTY is often based more on performance than other factors which are more important to me.
I did read CR and several other publications and websites before purchasing my 2010 "E." In fact, I held back on an M-B for many years because of their low reliability. Then about 2007, they began to come up for the "E" Class. Also, got high test reviews and so forth. CR and others highly recommended the "E" Class. So I jumped in.
Mine has a build date of Nov 2009, but is a 2010 model. Have had 15 significant problems since purchase. Most covered by warranties (thank God), but a couple of NPF's that are not serious, but should not be there in a $55,000 plus luxury car (2010 MSRP).
Glad you acknowledge the "car snob" factor. That is one reason why I purchased and kept an M-B. Have had discussions with people that work for dealership and they agree, the badge has a lot to do with purchases. M-B is well aware of that and one reason why the big star is on so many grilles now.
However, based on current "E" interior and exterior appearance and reliability, I would probably go with a Genesis G80 if I had to replace my E350.
I'm not discounting reviews and ratings completely, and certainly the dealership experience is important. I'm saying that a awful lot of people (many on this forum I suspect) are concerned only with Mercedes reviews, or German manufacturers or Luxury sedan reviews, and that vehicles and manufacturers outside those parameters, regardless of their rating and reliability, are not considered. I have owned BMW or Mercedes forever, and don't care if the KIA Stinger performs as well or that Genesis won COTY. Neither is a Mercedes (said the car snob ). That trend is already changing with the march toward electric vehicles and the younger generations being more focused on car technology than car brands per se.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Most dealers make far more servicing cars than from selling them. I see no reason another dealer wouldn't want to make money by charging Mercedes to address issues with your car.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
Most dealers make far more servicing cars than from selling them. I see no reason another dealer wouldn't want to make money by charging Mercedes to address issues with your car.
Guess I wasn't clear. If dealer one doesn't want to do it and charge MBUSA, why would another dealer?
Old 12-06-2018, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Guess I wasn't clear. If dealer one doesn't want to do it and charge MBUSA, why would another dealer?
I think I understood your point, but some dealers and service people are just plain lazy and hope you'll go away. Keep the pressure up or go somewhere else is my suggestion. If need be, reach out to MBUSA and register a complaint.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 286 Posts
EQ
It seems that the difference in reliability between manufacturers these days is relatively small. Dealership experiences are important. At the end of the day (since we are on a car forum) what you drive should put a smile on your face.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:17 AM

Received 74 Likes on 69 Posts
MY19 E450 4MATIC Coupé
Originally Posted by teksurv
It seems that the difference in reliability between manufacturers these days is relatively small. Dealership experiences are important. At the end of the day (since we are on a car forum) what you drive should put a smile on your face.