E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Are Black seats in a hot climate really a no-no? And does ventilation do anything?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 08:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tesla Model S
Are Black seats in a hot climate really a no-no? And does ventilation do anything?

I live in Palm Springs, CA (where it is 110°+ all summer...). Two questions for people who live in hot climates:

(1) I have been told forever that black seats are a bad idea in hot, sunny climates. Can anyone refute this?
(My personal opinion about this is when it’s 110° outside, your car seats are going to be HOT! regardless of the seat color and/or any difference would be negligible).

(2) Do "ventilated" seats actually make a difference?
(To me, since your body is covering the holes, there can’t possibly be much airflow, which you might only feel if you are sweaty in gym clothes).
Old 12-07-2018, 09:22 PM

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts
2022 GLE 450 (Black on Black)
We have ventilated seats in our 2019 CLS and do enjoy them living in South Florida. You are not going to "freeze" your butt since it only offers a modicum level of cool air. This is one of the chosen options that we select in all of our previous MB's. And our seats are black leather. We have had gray and saddle brown leather seats as well. I don't believe the color of your seats really affect the interior temperature of the surfaces.
The following users liked this post:
Argelius (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 09:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I’m in Florida, so the sun and heat here can be brutal. My last four cars had black, light tan, brown, and black leather seats, respectively. Although the color black inherently absorbs more heat, like you, I did not perceive it as a large enough factor to avoid black leather. As for ventilated seats, GET IT! It does make a huge difference, and I don’t think I can ever get another car without it, especially in Florida.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
We live in Tampa, FL. Our E400 has black leather seats. Our E450 has Nut Brown Leather seats. I have had black leather seats in multiple cars here and the reality is any seat in any car sitting in the hot sun will be hot when you get in the car. For us, ventilated seats are mandatory. They cool, but not like A/C cool. Still, if you sweat (like I do) it helps with that 100%. I use my ventilated seats for most of the year in Florida and wouldn't be without this option.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:30 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
'17 E300
A high quality window tint is the most important aspect to keeping inside temps down.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 632 Likes on 471 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
black seats inthe sun in the south are a cause for burns when wearing shorts!
Go lightest color like

Ventilation does a good job of moving air which helps keep you from sweating when bare skin is on seat whe nwearing shorts.

Heck even Chevy Malibus have ventilated seats today.... it is a no brainer in the south and requirement on any car I buy today new or old....I live in deep south of Mississippi where it is hot and humid

PS parking undercover really helps as well to keep heat out and in garage even more so
Old 12-08-2018, 09:54 AM

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
'17 E300
Also.... get the PAF option. The thermal protection provided in the windshield will significantly help on heat reduction inside the car.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 771 Likes on 609 Posts
I live in Florida and highly recommend the PAF option with ventilated seats. The PAF option blocks the heat coming through the glass on all sides, thus the car will remain cooler when parked as well as when it is being used. If the car is parked in the sun for any length of time, use remote start to cool it down in advance. I've only had one car with black interior and I quickly sold it after a single summer.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 380 Likes on 285 Posts
EQ
The color of the interior will not matter. I love Palm Springs BTW. A good window tint (clear or dark) and ventilated seats will make the difference. Ventilated seats are just that, fans blowing no additional AC but they really do help.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 Mercedes E300, 2015 Porsche Boxster S, 2012 Volvo S80 3.2
I will echo that the seat color makes little difference in how hot the seat will get. Cloth seats are actually a lot better in hot climates. That being said, getting the windows tinted with a ceramic tint will help a lot. Also, the windows can be opened prior to getting into these cars by holding down the unlock button....this will help a bit. Many years ago, Saab had an experimental car that had a solar panel on the roof. The panel powered an inside exhaust fan that helped keep the interior cool on a hot day. Always thought that was a nice idea, but obviously, I am a majority of one. The idea never made it into production, and Saab is gone anyhow! By the way, the ventilated seats are great. They pull the air away from your body, thus giving you a cooling "effect". Have had ventilated seats on many cars, and like them a lot.

Last edited by amf77; 12-10-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by amf77
I will echo that the seat color makes little difference in how hot the seat will get. Cloth seats are actually a lot better in hot climates. That being said, getting the windows tinted with a ceramic tint will help a lot. Also, the windows can be opened prior to getting into these cars by holding down the unlock button....this will help a bit. Many years ago, Saab had an experimental car that had a solar panel on the roof. The panel powered an inside exhaust fan that helped keep the interior cool on a hot day. Always thought that was a nice idea, but obviously, I am a majority of one. The idea never made it into production, and Saab is gone anyhow! By the way, the ventilated seats are great. They pull the air away from your body, thus giving you a cooling "effect". Have had ventilated seats on many cars, and like them a lot.
One of the coolest cars I ever owned was a 1981 Saab 900. It was built like a tank and I felt so safe in it. It had very little HP, but was just so cool and quirky. I loved it. I loved the key on the floor. It was front wheel drive and did so well in the winter. It was a very reliable car at that time and to me, quite luxurious. Once GM bought them and tried to reinvent them, they totally destroyed the brand.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 Mercedes E300, 2015 Porsche Boxster S, 2012 Volvo S80 3.2
Hey rbrylaw: I know this "Saab thing" is a little off topic....however, I am in complete agreement with you! We had 6 Saabs in our family at one time. The Saabs pre-GM were wonderful cars, but so underappreciated. They handled very well, they were well constructed and very safe and very "clever".....and even closing the door they sounded so solid. We never had any problems with our Saabs. In my opinion,the Saabs were better cars than the BMW, Audi and/or Mercedes cars of the same era. We loved the "quirky" features, as they added "character" to the car. It was amazing how many people we met that would say "oh you own a Saab, aren't they filled with problems?" So then I would ask them if they ever owned one, and the answer was always no. (so I would just laugh to myself as they were obviously "experts"). Even though it has been many years since we owned Saabs, and have had many other cars since the Saabs......when we shop for cars....and even when we shopped for our Mercedes, my wife still continues to judge all other cars by her Saab!
Old 12-10-2018, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EQ
Saabs were always..."Special." Quirky cars for owners who appreciated them. I would respectfully disagree that any Saab was "better" than a W123/124/126/140. I also agree that GM, with good intentions, was not able to keep Saab a success. Those 900's sure are distinctive!
Old 12-10-2018, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by amf77
Hey rbrylaw: I know this "Saab thing" is a little off topic....however, I am in complete agreement with you! We had 6 Saabs in our family at one time. The Saabs pre-GM were wonderful cars, but so underappreciated. They handled very well, they were well constructed and very safe and very "clever".....and even closing the door they sounded so solid. We never had any problems with our Saabs. In my opinion,the Saabs were better cars than the BMW, Audi and/or Mercedes cars of the same era. We loved the "quirky" features, as they added "character" to the car. It was amazing how many people we met that would say "oh you own a Saab, aren't they filled with problems?" So then I would ask them if they ever owned one, and the answer was always no. (so I would just laugh to myself as they were obviously "experts"). Even though it has been many years since we owned Saabs, and have had many other cars since the Saabs......when we shop for cars....and even when we shopped for our Mercedes, my wife still continues to judge all other cars by her Saab!
My Burgandy two door Saab, will be forever remembered as one of my all time favorite cars. And yes, they were underappreciated and misunderstood by anyone who never owned one. But that only applies to pre GM days. Post GM was the end of what made Saab such a unique and wonderful car. This I can say from experience. I had a 1995 Saab post GM and it was a disaster. I traded it for my first ever Mercedes, the 1995 E320, which in many ways reminded me of what made a Saab such a great car. It was vault-like, but had a real engine with a silky smooth inline 6 with loads of torque. I truly loved my E320. Horrible Becker stereo and all!

This isn't a pic of my E320, but this a 1995:

Last edited by rbrylaw; 12-10-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EQ
My father had a '94 E320. It's why I drive Mercedes today. A fantastic example. In your sourced pic I saw the fender vents (this looks like a diesel) but for a moment reminded me of the Porsche built E500/500E..
Old 12-10-2018, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by teksurv
Saabs were always..."Special." Quirky cars for owners who appreciated them. I would respectfully disagree that any Saab was "better" than a W123/124/126/140. I also agree that GM, with good intentions, was not able to keep Saab a success. Those 900's sure are distinctive!
I wasn't saying the Saab was better than the MB. I don't think of them in the same light and they didn't really compete for the same customer base. Two totally different animals altogether. That said, had Saab continued to be Saab and with the right financial backing continued to evolve and innovate, they certainly could have rivaled Mercedes. They didn't as we of course know.

Last edited by rbrylaw; 12-10-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EQ
Oh, I was referring to the last post by amf77, I should have quoted.

Originally Posted by rbrylaw
I wasn't saying the Saab was better than the MB. I don't think of them in the same light and they didn't really compete for the same customer base. Two totally different animals altogether.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oh, I was referring to the last post by amf77, I should have quoted.
No problem. We should return the station back to Mercedes talk anyway. It was fun remembering my Saab days for a moment though!
Old 12-10-2018, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My father had a '94 E320. It's why I drive Mercedes today. A fantastic example. In your sourced pic I saw the fender vents (this looks like a diesel) but for a moment reminded me of the Porsche built E500/500E..
I suppose that is a diesel in the pic. I had the inline 6, so mine didn't have the fender vents.
Old 12-10-2018, 07:35 PM
rox

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 E220d
Ventilated seat do come in hand and if you keep them on highest speed while driving for a long time, it get surprisingly cold.

Especially nice thing is when you unlock car and if it's too hot inside, fan will turn on to highest speed to cool down the seats.