Holy E class regrets.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 241 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Holy E class regrets.

Many of you have seen me post around here in the C/E/S forums for years, so most of you know I'm not a troll, and I promise people I'm not trolling anyone here or starting something just to cause trouble.

It's been a while since I've been on the E forum here, but holy moly, just now I've read 2 threads of people with E class remorse, hoping to trade in the car. I've also read a bunch of posts of people not happy with various things about the E300 (4 banger) and RFTs.

I'm as guilty as the next guy for buying a car once without driving it. It was a massive mistake and I lost money on that decision, but that was very very early on in my adulthood and it also wasn't, nearly, a car as expensive as the W213.

I'm finding myself baffled going "what gives?" These are $80,000 (CAD) cars and are certainly not cheap, by any stretch of the imagination. What's going on here guys? (seriously.)

Old 01-01-2019, 10:11 PM

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Mercedes Benz e450 Wagon / Porsche 911 Cabriolet
I certainly have shared some of your sentiments, except for the dodgy run flat tires which I gladly paid to replace.

I think buyer's remorse speaks more to our society as consumers influenced by cachet and marketing rather than as true enthusiasts. My decision to buy the E350 Wagon and then E450 Wagon took months. I recognized that I would be driving each car for years It's a shame more don't consider the value of their hard earned dollars.

The following users liked this post:
superangrypenguin (01-01-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 241 Likes on 202 Posts
A car
Originally Posted by nycebo
I certainly have shared some of your sentiments, except for the dodgy run flat tires which I gladly paid to replace.

I think buyer's remorse speaks more to our society as consumers influenced by cachet and marketing rather than as true enthusiasts. My decision to buy the E350 Wagon and then E450 Wagon took months. I recognized that I would be driving each car for years It's a shame more don't consider the value of their hard earned dollars.
Oh absolutely. The reason I started this thread is because I haven't seen this, like ever. I've been all of the Lexus forums, the Audi forums, the BMW forums, and of course, the MBW forums. I've seen 1 of these instances on the W222 forum, none on the 204/205, but on this 213 forum, it's a repeating thing. That strikes me as odd as I believe it's safe to say that the number 1 thing that is most expensive to many is their house, and cars have the title of #2!

I just don't get it. Now that said, you (sir), taking months to buy a 213. Good for you. That's something to be proud of. These aren't easy financial decisions to make as after we make them, we lose a TON of money
Old 01-01-2019, 11:26 PM

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
'20 E Wagon
Sharing my bit of buyers remorse on a MB forum maybe wasn't useful. But since you're asking for the whole thought- here it is. My post was looking to see if there was any hope of a graceful (and less costly) quick unwind with a MB dealer.

After more thought- I have decided to stick with the E450. Partly from just seeing it thru to get a truly informed, better feel for it, but also because I figure the off the lot depreciation was the worst, and while still steep- it will lessen over the next year. If by then I decide to trade it in, I'll have given it a good taste. I had in the past looked at MB's as mistake- sacrificing driving feel for luxury. All these glowing E63 and E400 reviews seemed to change that perception- and BMW"s lost path made it seem like they'd traded places.

It's indeed a pricey car deserving of a thought out decision. For my part, I test drove E's 4 times over 18 months at 2 different dealerships. I drove the E300 sedan, then the sport 400 wagon on the next two, then the luxury E450 the final time. My intent was to find a car more suitable for passengers, but still fun enough to drive, and room for a bicycle or two in the back for my weekend club rides all over NE.

The E63 seemed a bit too much, and the Air Body Control option seemed a long term problem likely. I was hoping to get most of the suspension qualities without those. I don't really need the HP, but do like the torque down low. I like to buy my cars and the ones I've loved I've usually kept for a long time- '98 & '06 3 series were both bought new - and traded with +250k miles on them (thank heavens I don't have that commute any more!!). I also love the idea of the one car that can do it all. Hence the wagon- I went ahead and got the 100k warranty and had the car OptiCoat Pro+'d. - The plan is to keep the car for a long time. Not spur of the moment for me. I had considered a lease for a moment, because it was my first Benz. But between the math being absurd on the lease, and believing I was going to love this car forever I bought outright.

A test drive doesn't ever give you a full sample of a car really. And I'm not shy driving them during the tests. I thought it was a decent ride, powerful and smooth. But mostly I was in awe of the interior. I did worry a bit that the steering would lack- penalty of a luxury car I thought.

I came from a '17 Golf R, which while I loved it for driving, nice heavy steering, loads of feedback- particularly great in bad weather, but was not an ideal car for taking clients out. And it certainly didn't love big bumps or potholes. Before that a Camry Hybrid (zero complaints, zero excitement), then a couple BMW 3's before that, a truck, a mint green '78 Ford econoline with 12 seatbelts and a 1 ton suspension was my first car. The R actually handled small bumps better (although I'm pretty sure that's moslty it's nice pZero summers vs. Conti RFT's on the E450) The E450 is by far the superior highway cruiser, quiet, powerful. Newer Golf Rs received a taller 6th in 2018, but still would be undergeared for 80 on the highway. For short commutes and grocery store runs though- the R was always fun- I enjoyed getting in it every time. The E450 feels a bit more like I need to take care of it rather than amuse myself in it.

Partly the size causes some "care" to be taken- but also the finish itself has a funny effect- mine is stunning with the Designo interior. I'll be proud of it whenever anyone is sitting in it- but for my commute and such, do I need more than the very nice leatherTex the R had? Don't get me wrong- I was nice to the R- I changed my own oil, more frequently than needed. It was only hand washed, by me. But I also loved getting up early on snow days to find some empty roads and test it's grip.

So, I've found myself missing (a bit more than I thought I would) a real driver's car, my manual transmission, and the tossability you can only get with a small car. Once I'm done playing with all the gadgets in the E- I find myself wondering how much more actual car was there other than screens and leather and size. The R had all the dynamic modes, self driving safeties, cruise, lane keep, active headlights and such- and the gauges and knobs worked just fine. Maybe even more directly. And the steering was so tight!

However- this forum was also useful in reminding me why I went to look at the E's in the first place- Passengers, and more plushness than the R. So I'm going to give my original plan more time and hoping non RFT's will help immensely. And I can likely get my R back or a well used Porsche for relatively small dollars. And if I find after awhile I just need to be in my take on a "drivers car" every moment, and I don't have enough love of the E- then I can trade it in a year since the most dramatic depreciation is likely already done. Hopefully- I'm still driving it in 10 years.
Old 01-02-2019, 12:07 PM

Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Mercedes Benz e450 Wagon / Porsche 911 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by jl199986
Sharing my bit of buyers remorse on a MB forum maybe wasn't useful.
Come on, it's totally useful. You knew you were going to get some fanboy answers, but you also got some reasonably decent information with which to arm yourself. Like all open forums on the net, one needs to tease out the information that's appropriate and useful for one's purpose.

My post was looking to see if there was any hope of a graceful (and less costly) quick unwind with a MB dealer.
From what most people wrote, it seems unlikely, but who knows....you may have had the last laugh! And that would have been useful to everyone herein if so.

After more thought- I have decided to stick with the E450. Partly from just seeing it thru to get a truly informed, better feel for it, but also because I figure the off the lot depreciation was the worst, and while still steep- it will lessen over the next year. If by then I decide to trade it in, I'll have given it a good taste.
I actually think you are making the right decision here, and not just because I have the same car and love it. Instead, I think that you will come to love it. I traded down from a Porsche Cayenne Turbo to a MB E350 Wagon the first time and loved the litheness and stability and compactness of the suspension and handling. However, the car was not without a couple issues, primarily owing to the weaker engine performance and the "at that time" date interior (the buttons just felt a little cheap). However, I stayed with it for almost 4 years because it ultimately did everything quite well...not perfect, but well above average. And as you stated, for carrying a bike in the trunk, for comfortably seating 5 adults, for offering copious trunk space with the rear seats both up and down, good mileage (great compared to the cayenne turbo), and wonderfully dreamy long distance rides, I kept it and was very pleased. When the E450 was announced, it seemed a no brainer to me: the engine was now quite powerful (even though I did dawdle between it and the AMG 63S) and the interior was now refined and gorgeous (especially with the massive digital dashboard (I have the additional 12.3 inch monitor). Consequently, I'm very pleased and think it will last the haul. PS, I always buy as opposed to lease just in case I want the optionality. YMMV.

For you, you are coming from the opposite type of car...a hot hatch.

It's indeed a pricey car deserving of a thought out decision. For my part, I test drove E's 4 times over 18 months at 2 different dealerships. I drove the E300 sedan, then the sport 400 wagon on the next two, then the luxury E450 the final time. My intent was to find a car more suitable for passengers, but still fun enough to drive, and room for a bicycle or two in the back for my weekend club rides all over NE.

The E63 seemed a bit too much, and the Air Body Control option seemed a long term problem likely. I was hoping to get most of the suspension qualities without those. I don't really need the HP, but do like the torque down low. (snip) I also love the idea of the one car that can do it all. Hence the wagon. (snip) I thought it was a decent ride, powerful and smooth. But mostly I was in awe of the interior. I did worry a bit that the steering would lack - penalty of a luxury car I thought.
So far, I'm in complete agreement. ABC was not something I wanted to entertain, especially after watching a Range Rover go through its ABC twice. Power is just lovely and linear in comfort mode for about town. Put it in sport mode, clamp down the throttle and boom, it's much quicker than it looks. Admittedly it's not an AMG, but then again, I didn't want to go that route ultimately owing to value for price AND ride quality in the northeast. Also, I have a 911. I think the steering is pretty darn good; it's the weight that I notice more. And that brings me to your ultimate statement...

I came from a '17 Golf R, which while I loved it for driving, nice heavy steering, loads of feedback- particularly great in bad weather, but was not an ideal car for taking clients out. And it certainly didn't love big bumps or potholes. (snip) The R actually handled small bumps better (although I'm pretty sure that's moslty it's nice pZero summers vs. Conti RFT's on the E450) The E450 is by far the superior highway cruiser, quiet, powerful. Newer Golf Rs received a taller 6th in 2018, but still would be undergeared for 80 on the highway. For short commutes and grocery store runs though- the R was always fun- I enjoyed getting in it every time. The E450 feels a bit more like I need to take care of it rather than amuse myself in it. Partly the size causes some "care" to be taken- but also the finish itself has a funny effect- mine is stunning with the Designo interior. I'll be proud of it whenever anyone is sitting in it- but for my commute and such, do I need more than the very nice leatherTex the R had?
Now to the meat of it. What you miss is the 1000 lb weight advantage. And that is never going to change. Having had two Corrados as a younger man (dating myself), they and Golf Rs are lovely cars. Reasonably priced, light, nimble, fund and Teutonic. But they are not luxury. And they never felt smooth...always a bit more buzzy and bouncy. But that's the trade off. It won't carry a bike properly without full disassembly, it's a 2+2 instead of a 5 seater, and candidly, the interior just looks plain and spartan...by design and for cost.

As for the designo, it's a rip off, but I got it anyway (on both cars) because it's gorgeous. You are likely lamenting it now but the price hit will fade from your mind and you'll be left with its sumptuous beauty. And that will be every time you get in the car. Sadly, initially, the price bite smarts.

As for run flat tires, they don't make THAT much of a difference, but they DO make a difference. I swapped mine out immediately after 1000 mile break-in and will never look back. Normal tires are smoother, better handling, lighter and cheaper. Done done done. The RFTs will be sold on eBay post haste.

So, I've found myself missing (a bit more than I thought I would) a real driver's car, my manual transmission, and the tossability you can only get with a small car. Once I'm done playing with all the gadgets in the E- I find myself wondering how much more actual car was there other than screens and leather and size. However- this forum was also useful in reminding me why I went to look at the E's in the first place- Passengers, and more plushness than the R. So I'm going to give my original plan more time and hoping non RFT's will help immensely. And I can likely get my R back or a well used Porsche for relatively small dollars. And if I find after awhile I just need to be in my take on a "drivers car" every moment, and I don't have enough love of the E- then I can trade it in a year since the most dramatic depreciation is likely already done. Hopefully- I'm still driving it in 10 years.
I think this sums it up brilliantly. Wagons and hot hatches aren't really comps. You made an informed decision for what you think you need going forward and, while the wise one in my mind, still have some lingering regret. It's not just value, my man, it's age. Man, when I think about selling some of the motorcyles and cars I had over the years and moving to a wagon, it hurts inside a bit. But, I think you'll learn to love the wagon. For what you'll likely use it for, it is excellent. And candidly, it also moves once you get use to the heft.

Keep us posted on your experiences. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:29 AM

Received 74 Likes on 69 Posts
MY19 E450 4MATIC Coupé
This was a great and insightful exchange - I've enjoyed reading it.