E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Doughnut spare tire for 2019 E 450

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 10:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2020 E450 Estate (currently negotiating order),2007 Lexus ES 350, 2010 Subaru Outback
Hundens, you're right that this topic has been discussed a thousand times. One would like to think that MB would recognize this issue, for many, and develop a solution. Unfortunately, I believe it has fallen on deaf ears with them. During 2020, I had finalized my search for a new car purchase to the MB E450 "luxury" model Estate Wagon. Based on my configuration, the MSRP was upwards of $85K at the time, so one can see that it was fully optioned. I had conducted an overnight/long-distance test drive, reviewed its IIHS, NHSTA and Euro NCAP safety test results, and obtained several dealer quotes. In short, I was VERY serious about purchasing this car. All along, however, I had been about lack of a spare tire. Where I travel, cell phone service is spotty, the roads can be barren of traffic and can take a very long time for roadside assistance to materialize. Being stuck at the side of the road due to tire failure, without a spare, was not/is not something that I could easily rationalize when finalizing my purchase decision. I really wish MB would have decided to offer non-run-flat tires AND a spare tire as, at least, an option. Unfortunately, due to this issue, as well as experiencing some discomfort with the E450's front seats, I opted to purchase a 2020 Volvo V90 Inscription T6 AWD wagon, instead. While I'm satisfied with my V90, I would have preferred the E450, due to its more advanced technology, smoother engine, softer ride and much larger cargo space, even if at a considerably higher purchase cost.

In Europe, I believe this market has the option of choosing to delete the 3rd row seat in the Estate. It would have been nice, when I considered purchasing the E, if MB could have offered to sell it without the 3rd row seat AND, at the minimum, provided a spare tire (even if they only sold it with run-flat-tires). Not sure why MB has this my-way-or-the-highway approach. Would have loved to have been a MB owner.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 594 Likes on 450 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by maggs01
Hundens, you're right that this topic has been discussed a thousand times. One would like to think that MB would recognize this issue, for many, and develop a solution. Unfortunately, I believe it has fallen on deaf ears with them. During 2020, I had finalized my search for a new car purchase to the MB E450 "luxury" model Estate Wagon. Based on my configuration, the MSRP was upwards of $85K at the time, so one can see that it was fully optioned. I had conducted an overnight/long-distance test drive, reviewed its IIHS, NHSTA and Euro NCAP safety test results, and obtained several dealer quotes. In short, I was VERY serious about purchasing this car. All along, however, I had been about lack of a spare tire. Where I travel, cell phone service is spotty, the roads can be barren of traffic and can take a very long time for roadside assistance to materialize. Being stuck at the side of the road due to tire failure, without a spare, was not/is not something that I could easily rationalize when finalizing my purchase decision. I really wish MB would have decided to offer non-run-flat tires AND a spare tire as, at least, an option. Unfortunately, due to this issue, as well as experiencing some discomfort with the E450's front seats, I opted to purchase a 2020 Volvo V90 Inscription T6 AWD wagon, instead. While I'm satisfied with my V90, I would have preferred the E450, due to its more advanced technology, smoother engine, softer ride and much larger cargo space, even if at a considerably higher purchase cost.

In Europe, I believe this market has the option of choosing to delete the 3rd row seat in the Estate. It would have been nice, when I considered purchasing the E, if MB could have offered to sell it without the 3rd row seat AND, at the minimum, provided a spare tire (even if they only sold it with run-flat-tires). Not sure why MB has this my-way-or-the-highway approach. Would have loved to have been a MB owner.
You are correct about this having been discussed and I remember you concern about the E450 wagon not having a spare and your decision to get the Volvo.

IMO, the answer is quite simple: EPA mpg average. There are many S class sold in the US which drag down EPA mpg averages. While each run flat tire may weigh a few pounds more than a non rf, that weight is more than offset by the weight of a spare plus jack and tools to remove it.

Less weight means better mpg.

BMW on the 5 series offers a spare. The cost is $150, residualized in a lease $60. Because of the spare tire option I seriously considered the BMW 540, as like you I travel in the winter to Vermont for skiing and roads are deserted and the nearest Mercedes dealer is over a 100 miles away. In the end I got the E450 and decided to “roll the dice” and so far I have been lucky.

I also have a high quality air compressor in my trunk.
Old 05-25-2023, 01:00 PM

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 E450 Wagon
Sorry to post to an old thread, but I bought the spare tire kit from Modernspare.com. While it doesn't fit in the wheel well of the wagon, it is in a sturdy carrying case, and the jack and tools DO fit int he wheel well.

I started a thread about it here:
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...spare-com.html

I'm please with the quality of the wheel, tire, jack and tools.

Rob in Atlanta