E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

wagons - E450, Panamera 4, or A7

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL500
wagons - E450, Panamera 4, or A7

I am planning some road trips with my wife and (probably) 40 lb. dog. I want to be as comfortable as possible (old body) while at the same time driving something that feels good to drive (enough power, sharp steering, corners nicely). We sometimes carry two sets of golf clubs, and my wife doesn't always pack light. It seems to have come down to the three in the title. I would buy an older car, but I do want some of the newest stuff - adaptive cruise control, HUD, Apple CarPlay, cameras front, back and top, etc.

I would like to hear what you think about these three. I have driven lots of SUVs, and I just don't think they're for me. The Panamera Sport Turismo is more expensive, especially when you consider what Porsche charges for options, and the fact that I would want a lot of them. I have driven all of them, but there are things you can't tell from a few minutes behind the wheel, like comfort on a long drive.

Here are some specific questions. Who makes the best seat for long drives? What is your experience with the massaging seats that each offers? Do they really help on long drives? Is one better than another? How does Apple CarPlay work with the navigation system - is it easy to go back and forth between audio books and navigation? Do you even use the Mercedes navigation system, or do you use Google or something else? What interior will be the best over time? Even Mercedes dealers (some of them) warn me that the designo leathers are fragile. Does anyone know when Mercedes will put the straight six in the wagon?

We currently take the dog in a sedan with a "hammock" in the back which attaches to the back and front headrests and it works OK, so it is possible that I could do the same in an S Class sedan, leaving half of the back seat for the dog and half for luggage. Would that be better on long drives than any of the wagons? Are the massaging seats better?
Old 01-21-2019, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Have you driven the three contenders? No offense, but buy the one that feels the best to you. All I can talk to is the E450. For me, there's nothing like a Benz, and the E450 combines the best of what's available out there. At least it does for me.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL500
No offense taken. I did say that I have driven each of them, but that there are things you can't find out in a short test drive. I'm interested in the comparative comfort of the three, and the S, for long drives, and whether the massage function is worth it. Do you use Apple CarPlay in your 450 and if so, how does it work with other functions like navigation?
Old 01-22-2019, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by twilightround
No offense taken. I did say that I have driven each of them, but that there are things you can't find out in a short test drive. I'm interested in the comparative comfort of the three, and the S, for long drives, and whether the massage function is worth it. Do you use Apple CarPlay in your 450 and if so, how does it work with other functions like navigation?
Again, I can't compare comfort with any of the other contenders. I've been driving MB cars now for so many years and just feel they are built for my needs, so I don't bother looking outside the MB world. Yes, I use Apple Car Play a lot. I tend to not mix up the two formats, i.e., if in Apple Car Play, I'll use Waze or Google Maps instead of the navigation system from the Comand system in my car. If I send an address to my car via the Mercedes Me Connect app, I'll use the internal navigation system, which BTW, is really very good on its own merit. As to your question on the massaging seats, I didn't opt for them. I know others here can comment on them. I live in Florida, so cooled seats is way more important to me than massaging seats. For me, and perhaps that's just me (though I think many on this forum will agree) Mercedes makes incredible cars and the sum of all the parts outshine the competition.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:50 PM

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts
2022 GLE 450 (Black on Black)
I have the multi-contour seat with massage functions for both driver and front passenger. They are worth the cost of admission in my opinion.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:55 PM

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2018 E400 4Matic
I had four Audi's and loved all of them. I like my E400 way better. It's a really nice car to drive, especially over distances.
One thing that may or may not matter is the Navigation (Maps) system. My wife's Acura is superb. The Audi was pretty good. The Mercedes is horrible. The way it chooses routes is weird, if not sometimes random. Its also hard to see alternate route choices, which is easy on other systems.
If you are going to take a lot of road trips, I'd suggest you find a solution that uses Google Maps or Waze. I've heard Waze can work in the Benz but it was only semifunctional for me. This isn't a deal breaker, of course, but you were asking for input that you can't get on a test drive.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Waze AND Google Maps works great in the E Class with Apple Car Play or Android Auto. I however, find the Comand navigation to be very good and it typically routes me to my destinations smartly.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:03 PM

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts
2022 GLE 450 (Black on Black)
Originally Posted by grossmsj
I had four Audi's and loved all of them. I like my E400 way better. It's a really nice car to drive, especially over distances.
One thing that may or may not matter is the Navigation (Maps) system. My wife's Acura is superb. The Audi was pretty good. The Mercedes is horrible. The way it chooses routes is weird, if not sometimes random. Its also hard to see alternate route choices, which is easy on other systems.
If you are going to take a lot of road trips, I'd suggest you find a solution that uses Google Maps or Waze. I've heard Waze can work in the Benz but it was only semifunctional for me. This isn't a deal breaker, of course, but you were asking for input that you can't get on a test drive.
The navigation system on the 2019 CLS Is not user friendly in entering new destination!!! Previous systems were far better. I don’t think MB wants or care to improve in this area. Just my opinion.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 772 Likes on 610 Posts
I prefer the inbuilt nav system because lane data and turn info is displayed on the HUD. I enter destinations via Mercedes me from my pc or phone then select one using a voice command.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:00 AM

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by ua549
I prefer the inbuilt nav system because lane data and turn info is displayed on the HUD. I enter destinations via Mercedes me from my pc or phone then select one using a voice command.
Yeah, that's a good point. Most of the time I also use MB Nav, and just for that reason. And in fairness, many times the MB route is the same route I'd get from Google Maps.
At least around where I live, a lot of the more rural or town-to-town routes are frequently circuitous and my experience with MB has been poor. I mean, really went out of my way. That's why I like the Audi system that showed a bunch of routes that you could scroll through and pick. I now know when I can mostly trust MB Nav and when I need a second opinion.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 419 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Just my $.02:

Just coming out of a 2016 E 350 4matic and I am now in a 2019 E450 4 matic: the 2019 is better, quieter and especially the steering and handling, even in comfort mode. I drive back and forth to Vermont in all kinds of weather. The trip is 250 plus miles and I arrive relaxed.

While the present navigation system is an upgrade, it still does not match either Waze or Google maps: their real time is much, much better.

Very easy to toggle between Waze and radio.

I have standard seats, MT Tex and they are fine. I am 6' 1' and love the thigh extension on the seats for extra support. From my signature below you can see the options I have. The only item that is missing from my E450 is a spare tire but that is an other subject in another thread!

Also keep in mind that the lumbar support must be reset each day - the bladder does not remain filled overnight. I was told that Mercedes is afraid that if the car gets hot the bladder with air expansion might explode! Funny that has never happened in any car with lumbar support that I have owned. Chalk that up to German engineering overkill!

Remember you are on a Mercedes Board so expect that most will post that they prefer their Mercedes to either a Porsche or Audi. I think if you went to either a Porsche or Audi board you will find posters there saying that the Porsche or Audi are better!

Last edited by JTK44; 01-27-2019 at 12:59 PM.