E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Fuel gauge stopped working for few days

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 E-Class 220 CDI Wagon (S213)
Fuel gauge stopped working for few days

I have a 2016 220 CDI wagon (S213). Anyone else had problems with fuel gauge? One day when leaving work noticed that fuel gauge was showing empty and range was showing 0 km. No low fuel notice or other warnings. Drove to a gas station and filled her up, tank was quite empty, was able to fit 70 liters (18.5 gal). But fuel gauge was still showing empty and range was 0 km. Made an appointment to a dealer and kept driving for four days when suddenly the gauge started working in the middle of a drive and has been working fine since.
The dealer appointment is next Thursday. Will probably still go there and let them inspect it but I'm skeptic they will find anything.

I noticed that there is a service campaign relating to the wiring, anyone had issues like this?:
Service Campaign 2016100001 OCT16 - 2017 213 under certain loading conditions the rear seat bench seat frame could damage the wiring harness to the fuel system control module depending on the affected wire, it could affect the operation of the fuel pump, the fuel tank pressure sensor, or the fuel gauge. Should the fuel pump fail, the fuel supply to the engine would stop and the engine could subsequently stall. Dealer will repair/reroute harness. Approximately 6,858 vehicles are involved.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 E-Class 220 CDI Wagon (S213)
Update to the problem. Fuel gauge started working by itself after four days of driving. When I took it to the dealer they checked the codes and found out that left fuel level sensor had given a fault code. They reset the code and said that if the problem happens again the sensor needs to be replaced. They also told me that the sensor is not available separately! the whole tank needs to be replaced!.

And it indeed did happen again when the tank got empty enough. Taking the car to the dealer next week and if it is the same error, they'll replace the whole tank. I'm happy that I'm still under warranty.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:14 AM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
Seriously though, stop letting your tank get empty or near empty. That ain't cool...