E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Locking Your MB with Keys Inside

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 04:19 PM

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts
2022 GLE 450 (Black on Black)
Locking Your MB with Keys Inside

It was a surprise to us this afternoon, that you can NOW lock your MB with the keys inside. This was confirmed by our GM as well. In the past you could not do so. This morning after driving home, I parked the car (2019 CLS 450) in our garage with the key inside without knowing it. A few minutes later, I locked the car via the MB app and it did lock the vehicle!! When i went looking for the extra key, I was dumbfound it to open the car with the spare key and find the other set of keys inside the door pocket!

After owning 10 MB's, this is the first time that MB is allowing for your car to be locked with keys INSIDE. Just be aware of this.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 772 Likes on 610 Posts
Now days keys are symbolic because one can lock/unlock the car via the internet. No key required, just a logon.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:09 PM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2023 AMG EQE 53
Makes sense since the car knows that you have a way to lock/unlock the car even though it also knows the keys are in the car. I think if you leave one key in the car and have another out of the car it will lock but beep twice to alert you that it knows that there is a key in the car. Have not tried it on my 2019 but in our older ones my wife would leave her purse with the key in it in the car and I would lock it with my key.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Ya, gotta be careful on these 2019's. I was inside the car with my cabriolet a while back and think I mistakenly locked the car with the app and the keys were in the glove box and that locked too and locked the keys in it and then the alarm went off and would not shut off and all the lights were flashing. There is a switch in the glove box to lock and unlock the center console on the cabriolet, had I known about that then I would have tried that, although I don't think it would have worked with the alarm going off. I called mercedes from cell phone and the guy was telling me the main brain of the computer in the car was gone and it would have to be flat bedded away, plus my wallet was locked in the center console. Out of desperation I tore the doors off the center console to retrieve my keys and wallet. As soon as the keys were out in the open the alarm shut off, the doors unlocked and flashing lights went out and everything was back to normal, that was one strange experience and embarrassing as I was in front of a friends new Restaurant. At any rate, the dealer was really good about it and covered the center console replacement and door under warranty, they had to order the parts from Germany. I cant say enough about Sarasota mercedes benz.
The following users liked this post:
haibieb (02-27-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 128 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
Ya, gotta be careful on these 2019's. I was inside the car with my cabriolet a while back and think I mistakenly locked the car with the app and the keys were in the glove box and that locked too and locked the keys in it and then the alarm went off and would not shut off and all the lights were flashing. There is a switch in the glove box to lock and unlock the center console on the cabriolet, had I known about that then I would have tried that, although I don't think it would have worked with the alarm going off. I called mercedes from cell phone and the guy was telling me the main brain of the computer in the car was gone and it would have to be flat bedded away, plus my wallet was locked in the center console. Out of desperation I tore the doors off the center console to retrieve my keys and wallet. As soon as the keys were out in the open the alarm shut off, the doors unlocked and flashing lights went out and everything was back to normal, that was one strange experience and embarrassing as I was in front of a friends new Restaurant. At any rate, the dealer was really good about it and covered the center console replacement and door under warranty, they had to order the parts from Germany. I cant say enough about Sarasota mercedes benz.
What switch to lock the console? Only switch in my CAB glove box is the valet switch for the trunk.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, that is the switch. Try flipping it when your sitting in the car and you will notice the center console box locks, you will hear it clicking as the solinoid locks the center console box. It is good for if you run into the store or something and don't want to put the top back up again and put articles in the center console box. It does also indeed totally lock the trunk which will not even open using the fob key or the lever on the mercedes emblem trunk.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:10 PM

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
2018 E43
But I bet (not verified) that you can not leave your keys inside the car and lock the car with the doorhandle touch....
Old 02-25-2019, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 128 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
Yes, that is the switch. Try flipping it when your sitting in the car and you will notice the center console box locks, you will hear it clicking as the solinoid locks the center console box. It is good for if you run into the store or something and don't want to put the top back up again and put articles in the center console box. It does also indeed totally lock the trunk which will not even open using the fob key or the lever on the mercedes emblem trunk.
Did not realize it locked the console as well. Good to know...thought it was just for trunk. Cool 😎!
Old 02-25-2019, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo
But I bet (not verified) that you can not leave your keys inside the car and lock the car with the doorhandle touch....
That is correct for the most part as long as the car is reading the signal, if the keys are in the center console along with a bunch of other keys attached to them like in my case the signal from the keys could be blocked and I think thats what happened when my car locked with the keys inside.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:09 AM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
2019 E450 Cabriolet, 2020 GLS450
I’ve never used that switch and I can hear the center console lock when I’ve left the top down and locked the doors, either by touching the button on the door handle or FOB.

Now, I guess, if you didn’t use the valet switch that technically a person could reach into the car and hold the trunk button to get into the trunk... I’ve never tried that.

Frankly i’m Too parinoid to have me car out if my sight with the top down and me not in it. I went into get a drink at a gas station once and found myself nearly walking backwards through the store making sure someone wasn’t doing something to the leather 😬
Old 02-26-2019, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ya I hear you. Or a flick of seagulls could fly over the car lol.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:38 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 E450 sedan
How do you mistakenly lock the car with the app? Is it that easy?
I haven’t used the app, so just asking so I can learn.
I plan on touching the handle when I walk away, with the key fob in my pocket .
If and when my car arrives in the US.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:48 PM

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
2019 E450 Cabriolet, 2020 GLS450
Hey merc amg.... a little off topic but don’t want to start another thread.

Do your back seatbelts buffet all the time with the top down? Mine buffet like crazy when going above 35 mph. I don’t see any king of locking mechanism or anything.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:48 PM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2023 AMG EQE 53
I second that about mistakenly locking the car with the MB Me App, but even if you did, so what? The car is locked. To unlock it just mistakenly Unlock the car with the App and everything is fine. Not sure why the alarm would go off but then again I wasn't there, maybe a sunspot or something.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No idea what happened. I was playing around with the app when I got in my cabrio trying to lock the wagon as I was having trouble for a while with that car. I was on the wrong car. The cabrio. It locked the doors with me in the car and before I knew it the alarm went off. With the alarm going off the unlock door feature of the app was doing nothing the door unlock button nothing and the keys were locked in the center console. I was hoping Benz support who I was on the phone with could beam a signal to the car to shut off the alarm and unlock the car. I guess they can’t do that. Even if someone locked their keys in the car which sucks. I use to have a Cadillac years ago and even back then OnStar could remote unlock the car with a security question. As far as the seatbelts jumping around from the wind have not really noticed that.
Old 02-05-2021, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E450 Cab
Smile Glove Box Lock is for Console storage AND trunk

Originally Posted by rustybear3

What switch to lock the console? Only switch in my CAB glove box is the valet switch for the trunk.
In my 21 E450 Cab, the switch in the glove box locks the console and the trunk. In that state, the key fob nor the mechanical switches will work. I noodled around in the manual and did not see this documented!
Old 02-05-2021, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 772 Likes on 610 Posts
In my 2018 Operators Guide page 70 the glove box locking switch is documented.
Old 02-06-2021, 07:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 419 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by haibieb
It was a surprise to us this afternoon, that you can NOW lock your MB with the keys inside. This was confirmed by our GM as well. In the past you could not do so. This morning after driving home, I parked the car (2019 CLS 450) in our garage with the key inside without knowing it. A few minutes later, I locked the car via the MB app and it did lock the vehicle!! When i went looking for the extra key, I was dumbfound it to open the car with the spare key and find the other set of keys inside the door pocket!

After owning 10 MB's, this is the first time that MB is allowing for your car to be locked with keys INSIDE. Just be aware of this.

I noticed the same thing!

When I travel I have an extra set of keys in my brief case and one key in my pocket. When I stop at a rest stop, I tried to lock the car via the handle and was not able as there was a key in my brief case which was inside my car.

Last week, same routine and I was able to lock the car even with the extra set in my brief case inside the car.

I preferred the old way!
Old 02-06-2021, 08:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,725 Likes on 1,105 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Correct me if wrong, but I think you guys are missing something.... As I understand it, the newer keyfobs deactivate themselves after a couple minutes without movement. If this is true, it makes sense to me that once a key in the console goes to sleep, one can lock the car with the app. I would NOT like this myself. I ALWAYS take the key with me, a habit I've developed over five decades.
The following users liked this post:
YasS (02-06-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 09:48 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
W212 E400
Originally Posted by DFWdude
Correct me if wrong, but I think you guys are missing something.... As I understand it, the newer keyfobs deactivate themselves after a couple minutes without movement. If this is true, it makes sense to me that once a key in the console goes to sleep, one can lock the car with the app. I would NOT like this myself. I ALWAYS take the key with me, a habit I've developed over five decades.
Agree. Most cars are keyless these days and there's no need for anyone to take out their keys from their pockets and place them in the interior.

That being said, the car should know the key is still there since it never left.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:50 AM

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
2018 C43 Cabriolet
Regarding rear seat belts buffeting ,I now buckle the belts in my c43 as if there's a passenger in back . It reduces buffeting noise significantly