E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

E450 and S+ mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 07:58 AM

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
'20 E Wagon
Frankly I use C the most because I forget/don't bother changing it upon start up. But my favorite is I. On my luxury wagon, the major things Dynamic Select changes are only steering, ESP, throttle, and shift points, not the suspension

In I mode, I like the tight steering of Sport, but leave the rest on C. The ESP is more active or "aggressively corrective" in C. I think this helps the car feel a bit flatter in turns, but for some people means less driver compensation/ involvement is needed. At that level of fun though (driver keeping it on the road) I find the E too big for purpose. I still debate whether I should have gone for the sport over luxury- I was pothole minded at the time.

I would love to have the car just keep start in I, also without Autostop/start on.

And to answer OP's question- I don't like S+ (other than the gurgle for fun occasionally). S is okay, but I think in S+ the transmission and throttle are too twitchy and out of character and ruin the feel of the car. Just crossed 6000 mi., lots of New England, mixed driving.

Last edited by jl199986; 03-31-2019 at 08:05 AM.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 401 Likes on 299 Posts
EQ
400 not 450 however I find S+ to be very twitchy. I really have to think about it when accelerating from a stop. S+ is fun for the exhaust note, but otherwise around town I like S and otherwise I cruise in C.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:47 PM

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe
Originally Posted by teksurv
400 not 450 however I find S+ to be very twitchy. I really have to think about it when accelerating from a stop. S+ is fun for the exhaust note, but otherwise around town I like S and otherwise I cruise in C.
Ditto.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 375 Likes on 327 Posts
Only MBs - the best or nothing
Drove in S+ last evening/night from start to finish. S+ allows much more control. The key is not to lift prematurely otherwise when gas reapplied immediately after premature lifting, car is "in between" and does not know what to do, hence the jerking behavior in the original message. Now I know what it does in S+ and was driving it as smoothly as in S but was paying a little more attention to throttle application. As I start driving in S+ more often, throttle feel will become second nature. The only negative in S+ was excessive exhaust smell, was wonderful evening so all windows and roof were open allowing smell in, with A/C on should be none issue. Thank you MB for S+ (I can only imagine what S+ could have done in 550s TTV8 equipped car).
Old 03-31-2019, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 669 Likes on 525 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Originally Posted by jl199986
Frankly I use C the most because I forget/don't bother changing it upon start up. But my favorite is I. On my luxury wagon, the major things Dynamic Select changes are only steering, ESP, throttle, and shift points, not the suspension

In I mode, I like the tight steering of Sport, but leave the rest on C. The ESP is more active or "aggressively corrective" in C. I think this helps the car feel a bit flatter in turns, but for some people means less driver compensation/ involvement is needed. At that level of fun though (driver keeping it on the road) I find the E too big for purpose. I still debate whether I should have gone for the sport over luxury- I was pothole minded at the time.

I would love to have the car just keep start in I, also without Autostop/start on.

And to answer OP's question- I don't like S+ (other than the gurgle for fun occasionally). S is okay, but I think in S+ the transmission and throttle are too twitchy and out of character and ruin the feel of the car. Just crossed 6000 mi., lots of New England, mixed driving.
Did your car come with the Goodyear eagle sport tires? Just curious how they are in New England? I’ve had my luxury wagon in Florida and could tolerate leaving them on here as the roads are smooth. I’m debating on changing them out for the Michelin primacy 3 tires before I make the trip back up north in a month. The good years are kinda rough over bumps with a very stiff sidewall. The Michelin’s are a lot better over the bumps and a lot smoother and quieter in straight highway. driving. I like sport plus mode around town. It turns off eco and the car stays cooler inside at traffic lights and pulls away from the lights with authority.

Last edited by 2012 merc amg; 03-31-2019 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 129 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
I like sport plus mode around town. It turns off eco and the car stays cooler inside at traffic lights and pulls away from the lights with authority.
How much of a hit on MPG do you get using Sports+ on a regular basis such as you drive?
Old 04-01-2019, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 669 Likes on 525 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Not bad. Around 17 or18. But I have a 24 mpg average over the lifetime of the car and that’s what I really look at. My amg has s lifetime average of 18 when I got rid of it last fall. 6 mpg is a lot. I do enjoy the sport plus around town. A guys gotta have a little fun. Benz did a great job with this car. I miss my cabrio. I put it in storage a couple weeks ago and won’t be driving it for another month.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:29 AM

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
'20 E Wagon
Did your car come with the Goodyear eagle sport tires? Just curious how they are in New England? I’ve had my luxury wagon in Florida and could tolerate leaving them on here as the roads are smooth. I’m debating on changing them out for the Michelin primacy 3 tires before I make the trip back up north in a month. The good years are kinda rough over bumps with a very stiff sidewall. The Michelin’s are a lot better over the bumps and a lot smoother and quieter in straight highway. driving. I like sport plus mode around town. It turns off eco and the car stays cooler inside at traffic lights and pulls away from the lights with authority.
Mine came with ContiProContactGX SSR from the factory. Unhappy with them. I historically hate runflats to begin with, so my opinion may be biased.
Went to winter wheelset, inch smaller wheel, with Michelin XIce NRFT. Very happy with that setup, world of difference.

Its catch 22 in New England- I find the trade off between runflats, more easily damaged by potholes, vs possibly getting a flat on NRFT to favor. You have to ride around with crummy ride & more poorly balanced tires ALL the time (or bring to shop repeatedly) or risk the once in blue moon pull over, fix-a-flat.

Havent had had a flat yet. !

Need to to take the snows off soon, debating another whole wheelset, again an inch smaller, vs wearing the Contis out. Would need to sell the 19” 10 spokes then too.
The following users liked this post:
martinlarose (04-04-2019)
Old 04-03-2019, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 129 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
I miss my cabrio. I put it in storage a couple weeks ago and won’t be driving it for another month.