E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Anyone else having issues with bent rims?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 653 Likes on 511 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
The guy at town fair tire assures me these should be a lot stronger than the OEM wheels and I believe him. They are specifically made for Mercedes, the center cap from the old wheels will fit right in and these chrome wheels will look great. https://www.mandruswheels.com/millen...des-wheels.php
Old 05-16-2019, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by nycebo
In fairness, the VW must weigh 1000 lbs less than the Mercedes. And someone also mentioned CT. Awful roads. Of course, there's also NY.

18 inch for this car is all that's needed. It's a heavy luxury car, not a track racer. Better ride and longevity.

I suspect you'll have the same issue with all large diameter wheels.

However, admittedly, I have replaced 2 wheels on my 911 with 18s. Roads in the northeast just stuck.
I like the look of the 19's better myself and it's only one inch so not that much of a difference. I feel even the 18's will bend given the right pothole, then again any rim will be damage with a big enough pot hole. I just feel the manufacture of the stock wheels has the wrong mix of alloy and they are too soft and therefore bend easily, seen it so much in the past with these wheels even on my 2012 amg. I kinda wanted a little more bling with my wagon anyhow, this car is a long term keeper for me. I'll post a picture of it on this thread when I get the Milleniums on the car. Worked a great deal on them yesterday and if one of them by some chance does crack they are a lot less money than the stock wheels new, like 300 and change a wheel so not the end of the world. With the bending and repairing of the wheels at least around here the dealer is about the only option and they always get you for other things, so you go in with a bent wheel or two and end up spending 1000 bucks. The wheel guy does not seem to want to work for non dealers, must have some anti complete clause set up with the dealer or something. I went straight to his shop a couple times with my 2012 amg and he looked at me like I was crazy and recommended I take the car to the mercedes dealer. At least if one of the new wheels gets damaged it's just a matter of taking the car to town fair tire and buying a new rim. Been through this too many times before in using the dealer for bent rims, gotta try something different. My Chevy Pickup Truck is 10 years old now and I've never had a bent rim on it and it's a sport truck with low profile tires.

Last edited by 2012 merc amg; 05-16-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
I like the look of the 19's better myself and it's only one inch so not that much of a difference. I feel even the 18's will bend given the right pothole, then again any rim will be damage with a big enough pot hole. I just feel the manufacture of the stock wheels has the wrong mix of alloy and they are too soft and therefore bend easily, seen it so much in the past with these wheels even on my 2012 amg. I kinda wanted a little more bling with my wagon anyhow, this car is a long term keeper for me. I'll post a picture of it on this thread when I get the Milleniums on the car. Worked a great deal on them yesterday and if one of them by some chance does crack they are a lot less money than the stock wheels new, like 300 and change a wheel so not the end of the world. With the bending and repairing of the wheels at least around here the dealer is about the only option and they always get you for other things, so you go in with a bent wheel or two and end up spending 1000 bucks. The wheel guy does not seem to want to work for non dealers, must have some anti complete clause set up with the dealer or something. I went straight to his shop a couple times with my 2012 amg and he looked at me like I was crazy and recommended I take the car to the mercedes dealer. At least if one of the new wheels gets damaged it's just a matter of taking the car to town fair tire and buying a new rim. Been through this too many times before in using the dealer for bent rims, gotta try something different. My Chevy Pickup Truck is 10 years old now and I've never had a bent rim on it and it's a sport truck with low profile tires.
Again, validating that the wheel and tire insurance can easily pay for itself. If I damage a wheel or tire over 7 years, it will be replaced at no deductible to me. Given the 19" wheels seem more susceptible to pothole incompatibility, it was a worthwhile expense to me at the time of purchase.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:17 PM

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts
2015 E400
The problem with these low profile tires that come with the sport package is the sidewall is just too low for the tire to absorb much shock from even the smallest of potholes at speed. My w210 didn't have the sport package and I never had any issues with bent rims. My W211 had the sport package, I bent/cracked 3 of for rims driving over small potholes one winter. I was only going about 25-30 MPH. That's why when my Range Rover Classic was drive-able, I stopped driving the W211 and sold it. I have no fears of potholes or bent rims with the RRC, but I do have the fear of being stranded somewhere, which is why I now have another E-class. However, my current A207 also has the sport package, I watch for potholes like a hawk, but I know that it bent/cracked rims are inevitable...
Old 05-16-2019, 08:41 PM

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
'20 E Wagon
So got my car back & they say they’ve repaired the rims on MB’s dime. Still not sure what the deal was or what they did. A short trip shows somewhat smoother.

Can’t say I was thrilled with my service advisor. He was highly skilled and practiced at both knowing and saying nothing worthwhile even under interrogation.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,148 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by jl199986
So got my car back & they say they’ve repaired the rims on MB’s dime. Still not sure what the deal was or what they did. A short trip shows somewhat smoother.

Can’t say I was thrilled with my service advisor. He was highly skilled and practiced at both knowing and saying nothing worthwhile even under interrogation.
That's excellent. It's always great when people can say something without actually saying anything. A rare skill indeed.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Must have been Doug at Viti lol. He’s a strange guy. When I had my 2018 AMG I bought from them they had to replace the rear tires as I had one of the tires go bad at 10k miles. Big bucks. Anyhow after they did the job the car was vibrating pretty bad in the back so I went back to get them rebalanced and at first he was not going to charge me. Heck they balanced them wrong. Then he asked if I wanted a car wash and I said sure. Then he said go see the cashier your bill for the rear wheel balancing is there. Crazy thing was I’d bought the car from Viti 6 months before and it was a 122k sticker car. That was the last time I was there and I live only 5 miles from there. Yep I’ve seen it all lol. Warranty work I’ll probably do the 45 minute drive to new London. Viti has a rep for being jerks.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The problem with fixing the rims as I’ve found is they are never quite the same after and they will bend even more easily from bumps and potholes next time around as I proved with the pothole I hit right after getting my rims fixed in Florida.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:49 PM

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts
'20 E Wagon
I’m planning that I’ll buy another set of wheels without RFTs. 18’s. But I’ll see how the repair feels for a road trip this weekend. As much as dealers have frustrated me- TireRack has thrilled me. New wheels, almost next day...great.

Gotta decide whether to trade the wagon for a 911 first.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

911s are nice. A good friend of mine has a new one. I thought about one over my e450 cabriolet but super happy with the cab. I’m super happy with my wagon too other than the wheels. I did hit one hell of a bump on the side of the rd in Florida that caused the initial damage so in some ways my fault. An aftermarket wheel I might have cracked instead of bent. Your from this area. Have you been to the new Newport Car Museum in Portsmouth yet? Quite the place. Gunther has a bunch of Porsche’s in there. I’ll be there Ferrari day this Sat morning at 9 am.

Last edited by 2012 merc amg; 05-16-2019 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:49 PM

Received 107 Likes on 91 Posts
2021 M550i
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
The problem with fixing the rims as I’ve found is they are never quite the same after and they will bend even more easily from bumps and potholes next time around as I proved with the pothole I hit right after getting my rims fixed in Florida.

Its a myth that bent rims can be fixed back to normal - it might show up as being balanced on a roadforce balancer but that doesnt mean the rim is a perfect circle again. i forget what the process is but it might just be heating up the wheel and trying to hammer it back into place lol
Old 05-16-2019, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

They use a hydraulic press with some kind of a computer that attempts to get the wheel as round as possible. It seemed to work for my two bent wheels in Florida till I hit another big bump in Jersey, it's too bad, my wagon was riding S class smooth for that 1000 miles. Oh well, it will be smooth again once I get the new wheels in a week or so. I just figure to fix them a second time, probably not worth it. The Chrome wheels are going to look very cool on the Wagon too.