E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Distronic - how do i?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 12:06 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
w213 e220d
Distronic - how do i?

Ill try to word this clearly, so I can make sure my question is clear.. because often my brain knows what I want to ask but it doesn't quite carry the message in text...

We have distronic plus. it does its thing, and once set the way we want it, we quite like the tech, except...

How, do you turn off the feature that slows down into corners when cruise control is active?

There is a feature in the assistance menu that disables this activity when in normal driving mode, and we have disabled it, but when using cruise control, the car slows down by 5-15k/hr at every corner. When you drive on windy roads, that's excruciating. I hate it to be blunt. happy with the radar feature, its very smart, just that particular "feature" does my head in.. most of the roads we drive have constant radius sweeper type corners, and at 100-110 khr, the car doesn't need to slow down..

I cant find any reference to how, and even if, it can be disabled.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 223 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
weird. this should not happen on a motorway/freeway. my car certainly does not do it (only when i drive in town with cruise)
and i don't think it's something that can be switched on/off
Old 07-15-2019, 11:01 AM

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts
2016 GLE350 4MATIC
I think you are referring to this feature:

Route-Based Speed Adaptation
When activated, this system uses the camera, radar sensors, and map data to anticipate upcoming curves, intersections, and roundabouts, then adjusts speed and brakes when adaptive cruise control is engaged.
I have also disabled the feature but have noticed that it doesn't completely go away on some curves and sweepers. What I speculate is happening is that Brake Assist and other features like this are still working in the background:

Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC®
Utilizing radar, the stereo multipurpose camera, and other sensors, this system can help the driver maintain a selected distance between the driver's vehicle and the vehicle in front. This system may have been known as DISTRONIC PLUS® or Distance Pilot DISTRONIC on a few older models
So even though you have disabled the speed adaptation for cruise control, whenever the car's radar and sensors detect other objects within its field of view (be it parked cars, trees near the shoulder, guardrails, etc.) it's probably adjusting the vehicle's speed accordingly so that the upcoming obstacle is within some programmed safe braking distance parameter. But that's just my theory.

You may also find this reference helpful: https://di-uploads-pod3.dealerinspir...t-Drive-v2.pdf
Old 07-15-2019, 02:47 PM

Received 71 Likes on 54 Posts
2018 E63S
Originally Posted by Egonvdv
weird. this should not happen on a motorway/freeway. my car certainly does not do it (only when i drive in town with cruise)
and i don't think it's something that can be switched on/off
New feature for 2019 model year and up, your car seems to be a 2017..
Old 07-17-2019, 12:13 PM

Received 218 Likes on 152 Posts
2023 EQE350 4MATIC, 2023 EQE 350 4MATIC SUV, 1995 E300 Diesel
Originally Posted by meeso
There is a feature in the assistance menu that disables this activity when in normal driving mode, and we have disabled it, but when using cruise control, the car slows down by 5-15k/hr at every corner.
There are two factors that contribute to this. If you have disabled route-based speed adaptation, you're might be going around the bend too fast. The stability control computer detects strong lateral acceleration and asks Distronic to back off. This behavior has also existed on prior Distronic Plus implementations to avoid accidents where Distronic may apply accelerator on sharp bends. The level at which this takes place *may* be based on the driving mode that you're selecting. Are you driving in Eco mode? Sport modes, for instance, seem to be more aggressive in route-based speed adaptation, so I wonder if the allowable lateral acceleration is also increased in those modes.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:27 AM

w213 e220d
Originally Posted by bytemaster0
There are two factors that contribute to this. If you have disabled route-based speed adaptation, you're might be going around the bend too fast. The stability control computer detects strong lateral acceleration and asks Distronic to back off. This behavior has also existed on prior Distronic Plus implementations to avoid accidents where Distronic may apply accelerator on sharp bends. The level at which this takes place *may* be based on the driving mode that you're selecting. Are you driving in Eco mode? Sport modes, for instance, seem to be more aggressive in route-based speed adaptation, so I wonder if the allowable lateral acceleration is also increased in those modes.
mostly in eco, yes. Ill play around and see if it changes. definitely not driving too fast, posted limit, if i were going too quick the missus would let me know about it mark my words :P .
Old 07-18-2019, 11:29 AM

definitely not driving too fast, posted limit, if i were going too quick the missus would let me know about it mark my words :P .
When this happens, does Distronic apply brakes, or do you just feel the power letting off (maybe even quickly)?
Old 07-22-2019, 01:19 AM

w213 e220d
Originally Posted by bytemaster0
When this happens, does Distronic apply brakes, or do you just feel the power letting off (maybe even quickly)?
it may be lightly braking, its a bit hard to tell with the subtleties of this car. it does coast very well when i let off the throttle in normal driving, ie it doesnt engine brake or slow down dramatically so id be guessing, but i guess it applies light braking
Old 07-24-2019, 01:47 AM

it may be lightly braking, its a bit hard to tell with the subtleties of this car. it does coast very well when i let off the throttle in normal driving, ie it doesnt engine brake or slow down dramatically so id be guessing, but i guess it applies light braking
Which one it does has a significant indication of what may be going on. If it's just letting off the throttle, which can definitely feel like lighter braking, the stability control computer is interpreting you going around a corner quickly. If you're driving in Eco mode, remember that it likes to switch to "Glide mode" when you're driving manually and you let off the throttle (assuming nobody is too close as interpreted by radar), which will not happen when driving with Distronic. However, if it's braking, that's a different thing entirely. If Symptom 1, you may need to have your stability control computer recalibrated. If Symptom 2, you may need to have Distronic renormalized. Either way, sounds like something needs calibration. Did you try different driving modes?