E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

TOMTOM Live Traffic termination

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2019, 08:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 Mercedes SLK 2010 BMW 238ix
Has TomTom Real time traffic subscription issue ever been resolved?

I'm looking to buy a 2020 w/NAV. Real time traffic is supplied by TomTom. I read Mercedes will use HERE traffic starting 2021 (makes sense as they're part owner of HERE along with BMW and Audi)

So I'm worried just how long can I expect real-time traffic from TomTom continue to work on a 2020 model?
Old 12-24-2019, 09:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 797 Likes on 629 Posts
The E class specs state that Mercedes me Connect services including Live Traffic are included for 3 years. I wouldn't count on anything beyond that.
Old 12-24-2019, 10:53 AM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
E300
Originally Posted by ua549
The E class specs state that Mercedes me Connect services including Live Traffic are included for 3 years. I wouldn't count on anything beyond that.
Not being able to subscribe and pay for a service is unreasonable. The best or nothing.*

*limited to 3 years

edit: I should add that if you read about live traffic and mercedes me on here they both aren't reliable. Maybe that's why they switched providers lol
The following users liked this post:
tennis (12-31-2019)
Old 12-24-2019, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
^^ I agree but thats why Mercedes Me has changed and its different from the one we have in older models.
Old 12-24-2019, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 434 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Just my $.02:

I have been following this thread since its inception.

Am I the only one on this Board who finds WAZE far superior to the MB navigation system?

For example, on my last trip from Vermont to Long Island, as I approached Hartford, CT MB navigation had me continue south on I 91 to I 95. WAZE directed me off to I 84 to I 684 and saved me more than 30 minutes.

I also find the graphics on WAZE superior to MB navigation.

With Apple Car Play, if I could delete navigation from the list of options and save the money I would!

Really, with Apple Car Play, I find MB navigation not only redundant but extremely expensive.

On the new Ford Mustang Mach E, where I put down a deposit on the First Edition, the screen at the top left shows navigation by Apple Car Play (Google or WAZE) and on the right navigation by Ford which shows charging stations. This seems to me at least, location of charging stations, the only use for the Ford navigation system. Ford is acknowledging that WAZE is the way most people use navigation.

Last edited by JTK44; 12-24-2019 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-24-2019, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JTK44
Just my $.02:
I have been following this thread since its inception.
Am I the only one on this Board who finds WAZE far superior to the MB navigation system?
You may be the biggest WAZE fanatic here. I tried WAZE for one day. I ditched it because:
  • It does not work with the HUD.
  • The map display is too small.
  • WAZE requires an account and login.
  • I do not wish have my movements tracked by unknown parties.
  • WAZE is a Google product.
Old 12-24-2019, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Dear UA529:

1: HUD: do not have this option so no comment.
2: Map too small: Do not know what you are seeing, but on my screen it is the same size as MB navigation
3: WAZE requires an account and login: Is this a problem? You do it once and it is set forever!
4. I do not wish have my movements tracked by unknown parties: you always have the option of going "silent". The beauty of WAZE is that in real time fellow drivers are reporting conditions to aid you in your travel!
5. Waze is a google product: Again is this a problem? Don't you use Google as your search engine
Old 12-24-2019, 01:02 PM

E300
I use both Waze and google maps with CarPlay. I prefer the look of google maps because it’s cleaner. And google maps of course usually picks good routes. And when you add a stop, gas for example, it finds it along your route fairly well.

I like that Waze shows/announces extra things like vehicle on shoulder, police and other hazards. So if I want to have all that extra info I use Waze. I also like that I can report things. It’s the community effort that helps make driving safer.

Head up display info for maps would be nice. But it’s not a big deal for me. All that info can be viewed on the navigation screen.

As far as these companies tracking me. Welcome to the digital era.
Our car has 4G in it. They can track you that way if they really wanted to.

edit: I wanted to add that google maps on carplay is starting to introduce more info... road hazards...

Last edited by Cerave; 01-01-2020 at 09:22 AM.
JTK44 (12-24-2019)
Old 12-24-2019, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dear UA529:

1: HUD: do not have this option so no comment.
2: Map too small: Do not know what you are seeing, but on my screen it is the same size as MB navigation
3: WAZE requires an account and login: Is this a problem? You do it once and it is set forever!
4. I do not wish have my movements tracked by unknown parties: you always have the option of going "silent". The beauty of WAZE is that in real time fellow drivers are reporting conditions to aid you in your travel!
5. Waze is a google product: Again is this a problem? Don't you use Google as your search engine
2. Android Auto uses a fractional portion of the display (2/3?) while MB navigation uses the entire display
3. Requiring an account that is not really necessary for navigation is an invasion of privacy and simply a method to obtain a user's personal information such as an email address.
4. By logging into an account one can be tracked. Is going "silent" really preventing WAZE from tracking movements?
5. I do not use Google because they capture and retain forever every bit of data they suck up. Even on my Android phone, I did not create a gmail mail account for that same reason.

Old 12-24-2019, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2. I use Apple Play. The entire screen not 2/3 is used. Do not know about Adroid.
3. Using your email address is "an invasion of privacy". I really do not think so anymore than someone having your mailing address. Remember the days when there were white pages and everyone's name, address and telephone number were listed. Hardly an "invasion of privacy".
4. Yes logging in "silently" and you are not tracked. Again, I an not paranoid about tracking where I am but I understand others may be.
5. Not using gmail for your account? You are definitely in the minority. Not using Google as your internet web browser - again you are in the minority.

Basically I am not as paranoid about using WAZE or Google as you are.

If you get over the paranoia, I think you will find that WAZE is a far superior navigation system than what exists in our Mercedes and it is FREE and it is constantly being updated!
Old 12-24-2019, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 E300
The main problem is that you have to plug in your phone. At least for me, I dislike having to remove my iPhone from my pocket and plug it in, and then I also forget to take it with me when I arrive. as a side note, I find Waze graphics to be a bit cartoonish and way prefer to MB nav look.
ua549 (12-25-2019)
Old 12-24-2019, 11:49 PM

Received 125 Likes on 92 Posts
2020 MB E450 Estate, 2019 Kia Niro Touring
I don't mind that Android Auto and Apple CarPlay only use roughly 2/3 of the MB's large screen. I mind that MB has decided to do nothing useful with the other 1/3. Personally, while the MB nav system's wide maps look incredible, the added with is rarely of any benefit, as movement is generally in the upward direction, and all that extra width map goes to waste. It is better when instructions and other stuff pop up beside it, though.
Old 12-25-2019, 07:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2. I use Apple Play. The entire screen not 2/3 is used. Do not know about Adroid.
3. Using your email address is "an invasion of privacy". I really do not think so anymore than someone having your mailing address. Remember the days when there were white pages and everyone's name, address and telephone number were listed. Hardly an "invasion of privacy".
4. Yes logging in "silently" and you are not tracked. Again, I an not paranoid about tracking where I am but I understand others may be.
5. Not using gmail for your account? You are definitely in the minority. Not using Google as your internet web browser - again you are in the minority.

Basically I am not as paranoid about using WAZE or Google as you are.

If you get over the paranoia, I think you will find that WAZE is a far superior navigation system than what exists in our Mercedes and it is FREE and it is constantly being updated!
An email address is a very personal thing just like a telephone number. All of my email addresses are for use on a single site - one site one address. When I'm spammed I know exactly the site that sold/distributed that address. When that happens I disable that address and stop using the site that sold/distributed the address. Google and businesses that use its platform are by far the worst culprits.

BTW - I always had and still have what are called unpublished phone numbers.
Old 12-25-2019, 08:08 AM

2000 Mercedes SLK 2010 BMW 238ix
Originally Posted by ua549
An email address is a very personal thing just like a telephone number
Do what I do. Simply keep an email address for junk. I use the @aol.com address I created 30+ years ago. When a site needs an email addr for something I want (a free download, read a paper, Waze, ....) I use the junk email address. Problem solved
Cerave (12-25-2019)
Old 12-25-2019, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LookingAround
Do what I do. Simply keep an email address for junk. I use the @aol.com address I created 30+ years ago. When a site needs an email addr for something I want (a free download, read a paper, Waze, ....) I use the junk email address. Problem solved
The real issue is when an email address (junk or not) is linked to something real such as a vehicle, GPS, cell phone, purchase, etc. Patterns of life can be surmised from those things. Only 1 of about 200 email addresses I use regularly is linked to me personally. G.M. has Smart Driver technology that tracks and analyzes driving characteristics, suggesting ways to improve fuel economy and reduce wear and tear. The company will also suggest that drivers with strong scores seek insurance discounts. I posit that Daimler AG has similar capabilities.

I'm not paranoid, just avoiding being doxxed.
CarFan1 (12-25-2019)
Old 12-25-2019, 09:16 AM

E300
Originally Posted by joshg1001
The main problem is that you have to plug in your phone. At least for me, I dislike having to remove my iPhone from my pocket and plug it in, and then I also forget to take it with me when I arrive. as a side note, I find Waze graphics to be a bit cartoonish and way prefer to MB nav look.
https://carplay2air.com/

This makes CarPlay wireless. I’m thinking of getting it but I’m not sure yet. Supposedly it works well, though.

edit: One drawback I have seen is that there is some latency issue when pressing commands (pause/play). I will probably test this out in the spring if they can make it stable.
I would imagine that updating your iOS may cause compatibility issues but they seem to be 'promising' to push out new firmware. I personally wouldn't mind the slight latency delay. Wireless would be great. Also, I'm not sure if the Qi charger and wireless CarPlay can be used at the same time. I asked the manufacturer of CarPlay2Air but they gave me an ambiguous email response.

Last edited by Cerave; 12-25-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 12-25-2019, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 E300
Originally Posted by Cerave
https://carplay2air.com/

This makes CarPlay wireless. I’m thinking of getting it but I’m not sure yet. Supposedly it works well, though.

edit: One drawback I have seen is that there is some latency issue when pressing commands (pause/play). I will probably test this out in the spring if they can make it stable.
I would imagine that updating your iOS may cause compatibility issues but they seem to be 'promising' to push out new firmware. I personally wouldn't mind the slight latency delay. Wireless would be great. Also, I'm not sure if the Qi charger and wireless CarPlay can be used at the same time. I asked the manufacturer of CarPlay2Air but they gave me an ambiguous email response.
Seems like a good solution. I think I have seen others on the market like this as well. This one seems a bit pricey
Old 12-25-2019, 01:44 PM

E300
Originally Posted by joshg1001
Seems like a good solution. I think I have seen others on the market like this as well. This one seems a bit pricey
I agree. I’m sure there will be competitors soon.
Old 12-25-2019, 03:45 PM

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts
Porsche Cayman S, Mercedes W213, Nissan Titan, BMW X5, Chevrolet Suburban
Am I the only one using Google Maps on Android Auto getting alerts for speed traps, debris on the road etc?
Old 12-25-2019, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,817 Likes on 2,551 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by CarFan1
Am I the only one using Google Maps on Android Auto getting alerts for speed traps, debris on the road etc?
If I remember correctly, Google is integrating the incident reporting stuff from Waze into Google Maps. Android is getting it first.
Cerave (12-26-2019)
Old 12-26-2019, 12:52 AM

E300
Originally Posted by superswiss
If I remember correctly, Google is integrating the incident reporting stuff from Waze into Google Maps. Android is getting it first.
it rolled out for iOS too actually
I thought I saw new icons in google maps on CarPlay recently but I wasn’t sure.

I’ll have to test it again soon.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.go...ogle-maps/amp/

Last edited by Cerave; 12-26-2019 at 01:15 AM.
Old 12-26-2019, 02:49 AM

Received 115 Likes on 78 Posts
S63 AMG Cabrio
The good news is that Google Maps via Android Auto is showing basic directions also on the HUD (don't know about Waze, never use it).

Indeed a real pity that (on Android Auto) it only uses 2/3 of the screen (known issue with MB COMAND, the Adnroid Auto app support full HD screen since earlier this year, "only" MB has to open this feature in the Engineering Menu, like wireless Carplay/Android Auto, that seems to be hidden in the Enigneering Menu........... :-( )

It is all concering v4.80 of COMAND 5*5.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:52 PM

E300
Angry VERY FRUSTRATED - but got a retroactive discount

Ditto to all the complaints; it is unconscionable for Mercedes to be one of the only car companies (if not the only) that doesn't provide traffic conditions. ETA is the #1 feature of a GPS. Not to support it is a poor business decision. I called mbrace and their only response was "call the concierge, they will tell you what time you will arrive". Of all the possible solutions, this is far and away the dumbest. However, after a long debate with "Special Services", the team one is connected with when cancelling a subscription, I got a 16% discount on my mbrace plan. If we all threaten to cancel our plans unless we are compensated for the reduced functionality, maybe this will get their attention.

Old 01-29-2020, 03:18 PM

E300
I’ve given up on factory navigation live traffic

Google maps on CarPlay shows traffic very well. It’s just a minor annoyance to plug in my phone to use it.
And it’s more reliable than anything TomTom could provide.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:03 PM

E300
Originally Posted by Cerave
I’ve given up on factory navigation live traffic

Google maps on CarPlay shows traffic very well. It’s just a minor annoyance to plug in my phone to use it.
And it’s more reliable than anything TomTom could provide.
MB is missing an opportunity to add value to their UI. Most OEMs are trying as hard as possible to lock users into proprietary interfaces in order to monetize features and protect themselves from Google and Apple owning future revenue streams, MB is giving up this valuable real estate. A prestige car company should strive offer the best GPS experience, or at least explain to user while it has given up the fight. If any MB employees are monitoring this thread, the floor is yours. If not, then maybe we should take to Twitter.
tennis (01-30-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TOMTOM Live Traffic termination