E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

"B"Service Results

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 797 Likes on 629 Posts
"B"Service Results

Here are the results of a recent "B" service and brake fluid flush I had done at my local MB dealer.
With less than 10k miles (all city) on the car, I was told new tires were needed. Tread depth 3/32"
Navigation maps updated to North America version 16.0.
COMAND updated to 4.80.
Labor cost $360.25 = "B" service $236.15 + brake flush $124.10.
Parts cost $189.65.
'19 C300 (2 days) no cost

The following users liked this post:
6speeddave (09-24-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 10:13 AM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 R230 SL-500 / 2017 E300
What's up with the tires?

I just bought a CPO 2017 E300 with 14k miles and the dealer had put new tires on it. How does Mercedes explain tires wearing out so quickly?

Mike.

Last edited by mikefamig; 09-24-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't know what is up with the W213 tire wear. It is worse than my W211 experience. I keep the tire pressure/temperature monitor on the left display to insure proper inflation. I make adjustments at home when the tire is cold (typically 80° F). Every MB and BMW car I've owned goes through tires every 10-15k miles including tires with a 40k mileage guarantee.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:37 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2018 E300 4Matic
Several years ago I read an article in a car magazine that showed that the different type of stones used in asphalt and concrete roadways affected the wear of tires. I live in Denver and never get more than 25k out of a set of tires and the article confirmed that our composition was the reason. Other areas of the country had different compositions and thus longer tire wear.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:46 PM

Received 125 Likes on 92 Posts
2020 MB E450 Estate, 2019 Kia Niro Touring
Originally Posted by ua549
Labor cost $360.25 = "B" service $236.15 + brake flush $124.10.
Parts cost $189.65.
Everything I've read shows the "B" service /includes/ brake flush (https://www.fjmercedes.com/mercedes-...rvice-a-and-b/). In fact the only differences between A and B is B adds Cabin Dust/Combination Filter Replacement and Brake Fluid Exchange. Perhaps the A price shown is as B?
Old 09-24-2019, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Perhaps the dealer just itemized the labor costs on the invoice. The filters were replaced. What do other dealers charge for a "B" service?
Old 09-24-2019, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 434 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
I also thought that the major difference between the "A" and "B" service were the brake fluid change and cabin filter change:

That in fact turns out to be correct:

Mercedes-Benz A-Service

The A-Service first visit is at approximately 10,000 miles or 1 year. The exact time is determined by the vehicle's Flexible Service System.

Then it is approximately every 20,000 miles or 2 years. This is for model year 2009 and newer. Please see your service advisor for all Mercedes-Benz A-Service specifics.

Services Performed:
  1. Synthetic Motor Oil Replacement
  2. Oil Filter Replacement
  3. All Fluid Level Checks & Corrections Are Dependent On Factory-Recommended Service Intervals For Your Vehicle's Year & Model
  4. Tire Inflation Check & Correction
  5. Brake Component Inspection
  6. Reset Maintenance Counter
Mercedes-Benz A-Service adheres to all required elements listed by model year and specific model as indicated on the corresponding service sheet for Mercedes-Benz Maintenance Systems in the USA.

Mercedes-Benz B-Service

The B-Service first visit is at approximately 20,000 miles or 1 year after the previous service. The exact time is determined by the vehicle's Flexible Service System.

Then it is typically every 20,000 miles or 2 years (approximately).
This is for model year 2009 and newer. Please see service advisor for all Mercedes-Benz B-Service specifics.

Services Performed:
  1. Synthetic Motor Oil Replacement
  2. Oil Filter Replacement
  3. Cabin Dust/Combination Filter Replacement
  4. Brake Fluid Exchange
  5. All Fluid Level Checks & Corrections Are Dependent On Factory-Recommended Service Intervals For Your Vehicle's Year & Model.
  6. Tire Inflation Check & Correction
  7. Brake Component Inspection
  8. Reset Maintenance Counter
Mercedes-Benz B-Service adheres to all required elements listed by model year and specific model as indicated on the corresponding service sheet for Mercedes-Benz Maintenance Systems in the USA.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 518 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
The Run flats wear out very quickly.
Old 09-24-2019, 11:03 PM

Received 107 Likes on 91 Posts
2021 M550i
I am at 21k now on my Hankook runflats. I think i have 6/32 all around.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:48 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,930 Likes on 3,095 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Fast tire wear is in the interest of car companies (lower cost original equipment), tire companies (lower cost original equipment and more frequent tire sales) and installers (more frequent tire sales and installation). Fast wearing rubber can offer better grip, therefore a marketing opportunity for higher price from the tire companies.

Tire longevity suggestions:

- overinflate by a few psi/kpa
- drive with low lateral acceleration
- drive without wheelspin or ABS actuation/hard braking
- rotate tire once per year
Old 09-25-2019, 10:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
A lot of things need to be factored in in determining normal vs premature tire wear.
  • Proper tire pressure
  • Proper alignment
  • Driving habits (city vs highway/soft pedal vs lead foot)
  • Road conditions
  • Summer vs A/S compounds
  • etc... list goes on and on..
If you have an AMG Line vehicle, you were probably set up with Summer tires, which is going to be a sportier, slightly softer compound tire, so it won't last quite as long as A/S tires. Also, city driving is more destructive on tires (just like it delivers worse MPG) compared to highway.

Regardless though, 10K still seems a little on the low side.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:04 AM

Waaay back when I bought Dunlop CB57 tires for my rally car. They had a large dog bone pattern. They were great on pavement, incredible on gravel, and when you hit water on the road, they would almost stop the car before they would hydroplane. Incredible tires. Lasted slightly less than 5,000 miles.
Old 09-25-2019, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by rraisley
Waaay back when I bought Dunlop CB57 tires for my rally car. They had a large dog bone pattern. They were great on pavement, incredible on gravel, and when you hit water on the road, they would almost stop the car before they would hydroplane. Incredible tires. Lasted slightly less than 5,000 miles.
Understood but Mercedes put 10k -15k mile tires on an E300. That's what bothers me.

Mike.
Old 09-25-2019, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 518 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Depends on how grainy the asphalt is too where you live, some is harder on tires than others.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mmgrad
A lot of things need to be factored in in determining normal vs premature tire wear.

• Proper tire pressure
  • Proper alignment
  • Driving habits (city vs highway/soft pedal vs lead foot)
  • Road conditions
  • Summer vs A/S compounds
  • etc... list goes on and on..
If you have an AMG Line vehicle, you were probably set up with Summer tires, which is going to be a sportier, slightly softer compound tire, so it won't last quite as long as A/S tires. Also, city driving is more destructive on tires (just like it delivers worse MPG) compared to highway.

Regardless though, 10K still seems a little on the low side.
The E300 is an AMG line vehicle was spec'd primarily for the improved brakes. This car has never left the city limits. It is driven for less than 20 minutes at speeds less than 45 mph. I'm in Florida where the roads are as smooth as a baby's bottom. Tire inflation is checked daily and corrected as needed. The real issue is that the OEM All Season Pirelli tires have a record of very poor wear characteristics. How they received a UTOG 500 A A rating is a mystery. That said on other cars I got worse mileage from Michelin tires. This time I'll try a set of Conti ProContact TX. The cost penalty for a spare, jack and tools is too great to consider non run flat tires.

Old 09-26-2019, 01:13 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'08 CL600 with 152k km; '01 E430 4Matic with 428k km; '17 Porsche Cayenne with 103k km
Try alternate brands

It is not uncommon for OEM tires to be a softer compound from high-end manufacturers such as Pirelli, Michelin, Continental. I've since abandoned considering the repurchase of OEM and rigorously researched crowd-sourced reviews, i.e. Tire Rack. Save yourself a few bucks and look into Kumho or any other brand aside from OEM.

On the flip-side, run-flats are usually harder compound with very stiff sidewalls. Ride quality is sacrificed and longevity is no good. Too soft and the tires wear quick as well.

We want a tire that can do everything, but realistically, we want comfort and longevity.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by ghaffar23
It is not uncommon for OEM tires to be a softer compound from high-end manufacturers such as Pirelli, Michelin, Continental. I've since abandoned considering the repurchase of OEM and rigorously researched crowd-sourced reviews, i.e. Tire Rack. Save yourself a few bucks and look into Kumho or any other brand aside from OEM.

On the flip-side, run-flats are usually harder compound with very stiff sidewalls. Ride quality is sacrificed and longevity is no good. Too soft and the tires wear quick as well.

We want a tire that can do everything, but realistically, we want comfort and longevity.
I want a tire that compares to those that came on new cars ten years ago and there is no such thing as an OEM tire.

New car manufacturers buy tires from major tire manufacturers. My 2008 Volvo came with Goodrich radials that lasted 48k miles.

Mike.

I should add that this was an all wheel drive XC70 wagon.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I visited my usual tire shop today. They said there was plenty of tread on each of the the tires - at least another 5k miles.
That puts the tire wear in ling with my past 60 years of operating a vehicle - 15k miles per set. Way back before I switched to airplanes, i bought a set of tires every 3 months from Tire Rack advertising that was in Road & Track magazine. Does anyone else remember the Mercedes GT 11 liter road test? (Yes, both the vehicle and test were real.)
Old 09-26-2019, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by mikefamig
... and there is no such thing as an OEM tire.
Mercedes thinks so: https://www.mbusa.com/en/owners/part...original-tires
and https://www.mbusatirecenter.com/?gcl...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Their tires have a specific designation (MO, MOE, etc.) molded into the tire, and yes other dealers sell them too.

I just priced the following in 245/45 R18 Runflats:

Goodyear Eagle Sport Allseason: TireRack.com: $262.99, MB Dealer: $276.12 ($305.12 mounted) both including 24 month road hazard

Michelin Primacy 3: TireRack.com: $312.15, MB Dealer: $307.71 ($336.71 mounted) both including 24 month road hazard

Plus MB dealers are now offering $175 off on a set of 4. Sounds to me like Mercedes is not exactly screwing people with tire prices. Yes, I know you can buy other tires, especially non-runflats, for less. But I'm comparing apples to apples.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by ghaffar23
On the flip-side, run-flats are usually harder compound with very stiff sidewalls. Ride quality is sacrificed and longevity is no good.
What I can't understand is why everyone, lately at least, has bought new Mercedes (E-Classes) after test driving them and experiencing poor ride quality?? I've driven a C-Class, 4 different E300s and 2 different E450s, one of the E300s for a full day. I was and am very pleased with the ride. Ride comfort is /always/ a compromise when balanced with handling. Just drive an AMG and a Cadillac to experience the difference. The E handles very well, yet doesn't compromise ride much IMHO. I'm very happy with both.

ANY tire can be made to ride comfortably by properly designing the suspension. A solid rubber tire would work (comfort only I'm talking about), if the suspension were extra cushy, and more rubber isolation, etc. Mercedes has made the decision to eliminate the spare, which a LOT of manufacturers are doing, and have gone to run-flats to minimize the disruption when/if you have a flat. I think that decision makes sense. Having decided that, I think the Engineering department at MB is smart enough to design a suspension that works well with them. And again, IMHO, they have.

Now, if you believe all that (I do, you may not), then putting non-run-flat tires on the car should absolutely change the ride and handling characteristics of it. Just like going to softer springs. Well, I don't see any threads here with people replacing their springs. And if there are any, it will be to make them stiffer, not softer. We all know that too soft of spring may ride great, but give up handing. And I think softer, non-runflat tires might do just that as well.

I can't speak for longevity yet. I /hope/ the tires on my ordered car will last over 15k miles. But I am perfectly happy with the ride and handling of new E-Class cars, and don't expect to be changing tire type in an effort to improve it.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:11 PM

Mercedes thinks so: https://www.mbusa.com/en/owners/part...original-tires
and https://www.mbusatirecenter.com/?gcl...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Their tires have a specific designation (MO, MOE, etc.) molded into the tire, and yes other dealers sell them too.

My Hankook tires are branded "MOE" but they are manufactured by Hankook. Pirelli Goodyear and others also sell "MO" and "MOE" tires. I see that Mercedes sells tires branded as MO but I wonder who manufactures them.

Mike.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:58 PM

Received 107 Likes on 91 Posts
2021 M550i
What I can't understand is why everyone, lately at least, has bought new Mercedes (E-Classes) after test driving them and experiencing poor ride quality?? I've driven a C-Class, 4 different E300s and 2 different E450s, one of the E300s for a full day. I was and am very pleased with the ride. Ride comfort is /always/ a compromise when balanced with handling. Just drive an AMG and a Cadillac to experience the difference. The E handles very well, yet doesn't compromise ride much IMHO. I'm very happy with both.

ANY tire can be made to ride comfortably by properly designing the suspension. A solid rubber tire would work (comfort only I'm talking about), if the suspension were extra cushy, and more rubber isolation, etc. Mercedes has made the decision to eliminate the spare, which a LOT of manufacturers are doing, and have gone to run-flats to minimize the disruption when/if you have a flat. I think that decision makes sense. Having decided that, I think the Engineering department at MB is smart enough to design a suspension that works well with them. And again, IMHO, they have.

Now, if you believe all that (I do, you may not), then putting non-run-flat tires on the car should absolutely change the ride and handling characteristics of it. Just like going to softer springs. Well, I don't see any threads here with people replacing their springs. And if there are any, it will be to make them stiffer, not softer. We all know that too soft of spring may ride great, but give up handing. And I think softer, non-runflat tires might do just that as well.

I can't speak for longevity yet. I /hope/ the tires on my ordered car will last over 15k miles. But I am perfectly happy with the ride and handling of new E-Class cars, and don't expect to be changing tire type in an effort to improve it.

Hoping 2 weeks later you don't start hating it! I think all of us who are posting these bad reviews did not notice them during the first few days. The first few days you are just so happy about the new car you won't even notice it lol.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by jhpmbusa
Hoping 2 weeks later you don't start hating it! I think all of us who are posting these bad reviews did not notice them during the first few days. The first few days you are just so happy about the new car you won't even notice it lol.
Hehe, yeah, I hope so too. ;-) Kind of like the new mattress I'm looking at now that feels great at the mattress store.

Actually, I think the same thing happens when you buy a new set of tires. Now, to be honest, it's usually (with my previous cars) because they're well worn, or have developed a bit of a bounce, or you're just tired of them, and I invariably replace OEM tires with Michelins, but assuming you've used the tires until they need replaced, pretty much ANY tire you replace them with will feel better. And then there's the mental justification for having just spent $1,000 or more, which always helps with the ride and handling. ;-)

Last edited by rraisley; 09-26-2019 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by mikefamig
My Hankook tires are branded "MOE" but they are manufactured by Hankook. Pirelli Goodyear and others also sell "MO" and "MOE" tires. I see that Mercedes sells tires branded as MO but I wonder who manufactures them.
No, Mercedes doesn't make tires. But they do have them manufactured for the to certain specs. How different, if at all, they are from others the same manufacturer makes, I have no idea. But MO and MOE, etc. are indications of tires made to Mercedes specs.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:28 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2020 E350, 2019 GLC 300
This TireRack webpage has some explanations of MOE tires:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=234

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: "B"Service Results