E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Why don't E-class convertibles have electric trunk buttons like other Mercedes models

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 05:30 PM

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
2019 AMG E53 Cabriolet
Why don't E-class convertibles have electric trunk buttons like other Mercedes models

I can open my trunk using my key or by kicking my foot under the car, but there is no button to electronically close the trunk. My question is why didn't the designers of the E-class cabriolet include an electric trunk closing button like they did with other E class models? After noticing there was no button, I was hoping to close the trunk by pressing the trunk button on the key, or even kicking under the car a second time, but no such luck.

Not that closing my trunk manually is a big deal, but it seems like an odd ommission (or a weird way to cut costs) on an expensive car.

Any thoughts on why the omission on this model?
Old 10-07-2019, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,817 Likes on 2,551 Posts
2019 C63CS
The power liftgate is not an option on the convertible. My guess is that because of the roof mechanism, the power liftgate option is not possible. Your trunk is spring loaded instead, so you can still open it with the kick motion etc., but since it's not powered, it can't close on its own, so hence no closing button and not possible to close it with a second kick motion.
The following users liked this post:
usc96 (10-07-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 06:53 PM

Received 107 Likes on 91 Posts
2021 M550i
maybe no space to add the gadget?
Old 10-07-2019, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,121 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Press the opener in the door (IN) and hold it IN to see if that closes the lid.

All MB trunks are spring loaded to open.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:59 PM

2019 AMG E53 Cabriolet
I believe Superswiss answered the question.

To respond to the subsequent questions/responses:

Key: The trunk button on the key has both an up and down arrow, but will only open the trunk.

Opener in the Door: Unlike the key, the trunk button on the door only has an up arrow, and will only open the trunk.

Space on the Trunk lid to add a button: The trunk currently has a button that electronically moves the barrier for the top, but there does appear to be room to add a second trunk button if MB really wanted to add one. *maybe MB didn't want the electric trunk closing feature to interfere with the electric top barrier, but you would think the engineers at MB would welcome the opportunity to create and file a new patent (doesn't MB love patents?) to design a system where the electric trunk closing feature and the electric top barrier work in tandem.

Old 10-07-2019, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by usc96
Opener in the Door: Unlike the key, the trunk button on the door only has an up arrow, and will only open the trunk.
Please do as I suggested. The trunk button in the driver's door on my sedan also has the up arrow (only), yet when you push and hold the button IN, the trunk closes automatically. This is a "hidden feature" on the sedans that is even more fun than standing outside the car at the trunk.

I'm curious to know if the ragtop has the same feature, so please humor us and try it. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by DFWdude; 10-07-2019 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:21 PM

2019 AMG E53 Cabriolet
DFWdude-

I believe I understand what you are suggesting about pressing the trunk button down in the driver’s door, as my Jeep GC had that function to close the back door/hatch.

I can pull the door button up (the traditional way to open the trunk), but the button will not push down. Additionally, pulling it up a second time (even if held) does not close the trunk. Pressing the button down (even though it doesn’t move) does not close the trunk.

Last edited by usc96; 10-07-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
DFWdude-

I believe I understand what you are suggesting about pressing the trunk button down in the driver’s door, as my Jeep GC had that function to close the back door/hatch.

I can pull the door button up (the traditional way to open the trunk), but the button will not push down. Additionally, pulling it up a second time (even if held) does not close the trunk. Pressing the button down (even though it doesn’t move) does not close the trunk.
Oy... Push the button IN (toward the front of the car), not down.

Pull Out (to the rear) to open, push IN (to the front) to close. MB has not changed the function of this button in many, many years.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,817 Likes on 2,551 Posts
2019 C63CS

Space on the Trunk lid to add a button: The trunk currently has a button that electronically moves the barrier for the top, but there does appear to be room to add a second trunk button if MB really wanted to add one.

That's pretty much it. I forgot about the barrier. So basically the barrier probably occupies the room for where the power liftgate assembly would go and also your current button takes up all the room for the closing buttons. There are actually two buttons that go there on cars with the power liftgate. One just closes the trunk, and the other one closes the trunk and locks the car. Here's a pic I found to show the two buttons. It's from a 2015 SL 400, but it's the same two buttons on all models that have this feature. I have them on my C63S Coupe.

For those who are still convinced that his car got the power liftgate and are giving further advise, you can stop it. The owner's manual actually gives the answer in the trunk chapter. There is only one option to close the trunk and it's the manual option. For other cars with the power liftgate the owners manual lists all the other options to close the trunk.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-07-2019 at 10:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
usc96 (10-07-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 09:01 AM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
2020 A220 2023 E450 Cabriolet
That is correct. There is no way to close the trunk in the cab other than manually. If you think that is tough, think about the problem of opening the trunk in the C cab where there is no way to do so from behind the car other than to get out the key and use it.

Talk about a first world problem!