Scary experience -sudden inexplicable braking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2023, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E220D prem plus driving assist pack
Sudden harsh braking in cruise control

Originally Posted by joshg1001
Yes this has happened to me maybe three times in ownership. It has happened twice on the same street for me. I think there is a road sign that is in the center island that reflects the radar. Unfortunately no way to reduce the occurrence, it’s just part of having this technology
Yep has happened to me too on motorway or dual carriageway on three occasions now usually in the fast lane with the auto speed engaged. Not sure what is causing it yet.
Old 09-03-2023, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 660 Likes on 518 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
I always leave speed adoption off. It can read a sign from a parallel rd to the highway and slow you down real quick. I also leave lane keeping assist off. That kills the brakes a lot faster by constantly braking trying to keep you in the center of the lane.
Old 02-13-2024, 05:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018, GLE 63
Hi,

Originally Posted by Tiburonsteve
I had a startling and scary experience in my 2017 300 E today. I was driving about 35 mph on a major street with no traffic anywhere nearby. Suddenly, the brakes slammed on hard and the seatbelts retracted very quickly. I did not initiate any of this and, as I said, there was no traffic to be seen. At first, it felt like we hit something but there was nothing to hit and no damage to the car. The car seemed to think a collision was imminent, but it wasn’t. Could have been dangerous if someone was behind me or if I had lost control in reacting to what happened. Has anyone experienced this and does anyone have an explanation of what happened and whether there’s a way to prevent it from happening again?
i had similar problem with my car GLE 63 2018, while driving in rain the car suddenly breaking and i lost control. Subsequently collision occurred to the barrier.
Old 02-13-2024, 03:08 PM

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
2019 E300 4matic
Speed limit adoption

Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
I find best off turning off the speed limit adoption, perhaps thats what happened with the OP. I've really never had an emergency stop for on reason and thats after a lot of miles on the 213 platform. 14.5 K miles on my 2018 E63 Wagon, 23K miles on my E450 Wagon and 10K miles on my E450 Cabriolet. So nearly 48K miles and it's never happened. One feature I do really like is the limit feature where the car will loose throttle response when you are right up close to something like the side of the garage door opening or bank ATM drive through or if you come really close the car will just abruptly apply the brakes.

I turned it off on my 2019 E 300 because the speed limits the car was coming up with were INSANE! On an exit (35 mph speed limit posted) the speed limit adoption jumped to 80 mph and went into full acceleration! I hit the brakes and turned off the cruise control. The next time I used it the car read a 55 mph speed limit as 10 mph and slammed on the brakes. Again, I took the cruise control off. Third time I was traveling on the interstate with a speed limit of 70. All of a sudden the speed limit sign on the screen flashed 100 and again the car started to speed up and I shut the cruise control off. I told the dealer the next time the car was in for service and he said there were problems with it and not to use it which I did. GRRR!
Old 02-13-2024, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 434 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
Originally Posted by DeutscheBenz726
I turned it off on my 2019 E 300 because the speed limits the car was coming up with were INSANE! On an exit (35 mph speed limit posted) the speed limit adoption jumped to 80 mph and went into full acceleration! I hit the brakes and turned off the cruise control. The next time I used it the car read a 55 mph speed limit as 10 mph and slammed on the brakes. Again, I took the cruise control off. Third time I was traveling on the interstate with a speed limit of 70. All of a sudden the speed limit sign on the screen flashed 100 and again the car started to speed up and I shut the cruise control off. I told the dealer the next time the car was in for service and he said there were problems with it and not to use it which I did. GRRR!
You do realize that cruise control and adaptive cruise control, which I have, use and love are independent of the speed limit sign feature.

You can turn off the "speed limit sign" feature, which I did before driving out of the dealer over 5 years ago! Never has been on and never will be on!