E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Missing Satellite Map View

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 11:56 PM

Received 125 Likes on 92 Posts
2020 MB E450 Estate, 2019 Kia Niro Touring
Missing Satellite Map View

When I got my new E450 Wagon, almost 3 weeks ago, the map displayed the "Satellite" view, like on Google Maps, that is, showed buildings and forests and water and such. Lately, that seems to have stopped. Now, it only shows a plain background where before there was satellite detail. I've checked the settings brought up by pressing main button, bringing up map options, and confirmed that the the second from the bottom option is selected. I've zoomed in and out and don't think that makes a difference. I'm actually not quite sure yet how I feel about the sat map: it's REALLY pretty, but makes things a bit harder to read. Nevertheless, I'd like to know why it was there and now it's not. I did /not/ uncheck it in Navigation > Options > Map Content.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:55 AM

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
E Class Estate S213
Originally Posted by rraisley
When I got my new E450 Wagon, almost 3 weeks ago, the map displayed the "Satellite" view, like on Google Maps, that is, showed buildings and forests and water and such. Lately, that seems to have stopped. Now, it only shows a plain background where before there was satellite detail. I've checked the settings brought up by pressing main button, bringing up map options, and confirmed that the the second from the bottom option is selected. I've zoomed in and out and don't think that makes a difference. I'm actually not quite sure yet how I feel about the sat map: it's REALLY pretty, but makes things a bit harder to read. Nevertheless, I'd like to know why it was there and now it's not. I did /not/ uncheck it in Navigation > Options > Map Content.
Are you sufficiently zoomed out to see Satellite view?
Old 01-24-2020, 04:29 PM

Received 125 Likes on 92 Posts
2020 MB E450 Estate, 2019 Kia Niro Touring
Originally Posted by JDPEClassUK
Are you sufficiently zoomed out to see Satellite view?
That's what I'd done, zoomed in too far. To be honest, when the satellite view /is/ available (zoomed out far enough), the satellite detail doesn't really help anything, and while it looks pretty, it kinda muddles up the screen from a navigation point of view. When zoomed in to the point that I'd like to be able to see parking lots and other such features, of course, it's not available. Oh well.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:44 PM

Received 294 Likes on 144 Posts
E63S Wagon
I agree rraisley. I am pretty disappointed in the zoomed in street map...I got too used to google maps via carplay.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,753 Likes on 1,123 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
When I first got my W212, the textured satellite view was available at the 2.5 mile zoom setting. After the dealer updated my maps to 2019 version, the satellite view became available only at 5 mile resolution or more. I suspect that map version 2019 (and more current) start satellite view at 5 miles for the W213, too, but am not sure.

Frankly, neither is too useful for actual navigation at such far away resolution.
Old 02-01-2020, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 669 Likes on 525 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
Ya sounds like you maps auto updated and you lost it. Maybe Mercedes is worried about privacy issues and getting sued by a sunbather in their back yard just like they are worried about getting sued over remote parking assist and now Genesis (Hyundai) is eating their lunch