E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Backup camera failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 08:23 AM

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
2019 E450 Cabriolet, 2020 GLS450
Backup camera failure

Went to back into a parking space this morning and got a camera failure warning.

anyone seen this?

The icon looks like it thinks the mechanism is wet? This car has been rained on for 18 months with no problems.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 809 Likes on 641 Posts
Either the cover is obstructed or the lens is dirty. The cover can be opened via menu selection and the lens inspected/cleaned.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:36 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,440 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
You can visually inspect camera but best to have it checked under warranty. Note some have reported that problem continued even after having camera replaced, it was ultimately found that the harness needed replacement so mention this to your SA. BTW 238, should be posting here: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-c...brio-a238-248/
Old 02-04-2020, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by ua549
Either the cover is obstructed or the lens is dirty. The cover can be opened via menu selection and the lens inspected/cleaned.
that’s the first image... going to the cover opening. Great. One more problem added to the long and distinguished list. In 37 years of owning new cars, I have never had as many problems as I have had with my first MB. And I owned the 2013 Escape which had a record number of recalls and problems.

... and we are getting ready to take delivery of a 2020 GLS in a couple weeks.... sure makes you think
Old 02-04-2020, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by konigstiger
You can visually inspect camera but best to have it checked under warranty. Note some have reported that problem continued even after having camera replaced, it was ultimately found that the harness needed replacement so mention this to your SA. BTW 238, should be posting here: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-c...brio-a238-248/
thanks. I’ll mention when I take it in this morning.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by konigstiger
I know, but nobody ever reads that thread (I’m the one who started it!)
Old 02-04-2020, 08:50 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,440 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by sackboydad
I know, but nobody ever reads that thread (I’m the one who started it!)
Old 05-11-2020, 08:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gle 300d
Yes i did but i was afraid...and it was the worst part of it all....flimsy plastic cover with the demisting element inside but I removed it.

one can use cotton bud to reach the inside of the glass through the hole.

I didn't remove any clips when removing the camera unit but.

Old 03-25-2021, 10:52 AM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
S213 2020 E450 4Matic CDN Spec 07/19 build
I don't know if this might be related, but I just received a recall letter for my rear camera.

Mercedes-Benz AG has determined that on certain CLA, GLA, GLE, GLS, SLC, GT, C-Class, E-Class, S
Class, SL, B-Class, GLC, CLS, and G-Class vehicles the variant coding of the head unit might not meet
specifications. If the reverse gear is selected, the rearview camera image in the central display might no
longer be displayed due to an active operation of other functions of the central display. In this case, the
local legal requirements of Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standard might not be met. Furthermore, if the
rearview camera image is unavailable, the driver's ability to see behind the vehicle while backing up may
be impaired. This could increase the risk of a crash. The customer will not receive an advance warning due
to the nature of the failure mechanism. There are no specific precautions to be taken with respect to the
subject issue until the corrective measures are implemented.

As a precautionary measure, Mercedes-Benz AG, via its Mercedes-Benz service partners, will update the
variant coding of the head unit on the affected vehicles.

Old 03-29-2021, 05:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C300 Sport
Originally Posted by murman
I don't know if this might be related, but I just received a recall letter for my rear camera.

Mercedes-Benz AG has determined that on certain CLA, GLA, GLE, GLS, SLC, GT, C-Class, E-Class, S
Class, SL, B-Class, GLC, CLS, and G-Class vehicles the variant coding of the head unit might not meet
specifications. If the reverse gear is selected, the rearview camera image in the central display might no
longer be displayed due to an active operation of other functions of the central display. In this case, the
local legal requirements of Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standard might not be met. Furthermore, if the
rearview camera image is unavailable, the driver's ability to see behind the vehicle while backing up may
be impaired. This could increase the risk of a crash. The customer will not receive an advance warning due
to the nature of the failure mechanism. There are no specific precautions to be taken with respect to the

As a precautionary measure, Mercedes-Benz AG, via its Mercedes-Benz service partners, will update the
I recently got a letter of recall about the backup camera. I think they are related problem ? I will need to book an appointment soon.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:19 PM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Car
Originally Posted by fibbi
I recently got a letter of recall about the backup camera. I think they are related problem ? I will need to book an appointment soon.
I have my w213 going in for an unrelated issue when the advisor mentioned about a “backup camera update” search seems to brought me here. I had it in last month and there was no mention of a recall. This must be new.
Old 03-30-2021, 12:06 PM

Received 137 Likes on 104 Posts
2015 ML350+2021 E350
Originally Posted by murman

Originally Posted by fibbi
Originally Posted by th1ef
I have my w213 going in for an unrelated issue when the advisor mentioned about a “backup camera update” search seems to brought me here. I had it in last month and there was no mention of a recall. This must be new.
Keep us posted.
I read your other post regarding backup camera, and then checked my VIN on MBUSA and NHTSA and no camera recall is shown.