E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023
View Poll Results: Is it possible?
Yes
25.00%
No
75.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Using the internet, without paying for vodaphone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2020, 05:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e220d AMG line w213
Using the internet, without paying for vodaphone?

Hi, I’m a taxi driver in the UK, currently it’s super quiet so we are spending a lot of time sitting around not doing a lot.
I was hoping to get the internet working in my car to possibly watch videos etc while waiting between jobs (it’s really that quiet).

when I click on the internet it says I need to get a data plan, (I know this is different in America), the way to view the data plans is to connect to the cars WiFi and then it brings up the options to buy, yet these are really expensive and honestly not worth £100.

i have seen people have there internet working while using there phone as a hotspot, can any body confirm if this is possible?, and if so how I would go about doing it? Thanks

Last edited by Daniel Knight; 06-09-2020 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Adding photo
Old 06-09-2020, 11:56 AM

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts
W213 220d from 2016
You have to subscribe with the company that works with Vodaphone in your country. Sadly there is no other way, if you want to use internet option provided by mercedes.

Theres a few alternatives though. One would be to load them on a usb stick or sd card(will only work if the car is stationary) or you can jailbreak your phone to open options for running youtube/netflix etc via carplay(also while the car is moving)

lastly you can just bring a tablet or phone with your own internet connection and watch on those
Old 06-10-2020, 09:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 298 Likes on 226 Posts
E 300 AMG-Line diesel-Hybrid - 2021
I thought this too, but there's a thread here where people explain how they manage it with android (not possible with iPhone)
and in fact it's also explained in the manual
Old 06-10-2020, 04:49 PM

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
2018 E63S
You will need a phone with SAP-support, then you can connect it to the car using SAP (this is like the car is kidnapping the SIM-card and acting like it's in the car..)
While connected through SAP the internet will work and your phone can also access internet through the car hotspot.

This might of course require some equipment that's not a standard option.

A lot of Android phones support SAP.. Samsung supports it on most single sim phones, if you have a dual sim Samsung phone it's not supported.. I'm not sure of how it is on other android phones.
Old 06-11-2020, 04:58 AM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts
S63 AMG Cabrio
If it is COMAND NTG 5*5 it does not support bluetooth tethering out of the box anymore I am afraid (in COMAND 5*2 it was easy). If you are able to get in Engineering Mode, you can enable it (but it seems undoable without support from MB HQ, see other threads). Don't know if rSAP also offers data connection to be ussed by NTG 5*5, but you can checl by trying to configure rSAP on your Android phone (you might to install this: http://www.android-rsap.com/ see also compatibility check for both phone and car model).

BTW, since Web browsing is disabled you only need this paid data connection for streaming TuneIN from the built-in app (that finally works again with all modern radio stations) and built-in hotspot. Both you can do also with the smartphone alone. So when they see nobody uses the paid Vodafone subscription anymore, I hope MB will stop with this model and offers tethering again (that is technology wise still present, but hidden).

Online features always where a 8-9 (on a scale of 10), now it is 5-6 (on the same scale) comparing it to other brands.
Don't know how it is with MBUX 6 and 7?

Keep us posted!

Last edited by HAWKiS63; 06-11-2020 at 05:01 AM.
Old 06-18-2020, 05:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W213 hybrid 2018
Don't know which command

Originally Posted by HAWKiS63
If it is COMAND NTG 5*5 it does not support bluetooth tethering out of the box anymore I am afraid (in COMAND 5*2 it was easy). If you are able to get in Engineering Mode, you can enable it (but it seems undoable without support from MB HQ, see other threads). Don't know if rSAP also offers data connection to be ussed by NTG 5*5, but you can checl by trying to configure rSAP on your Android phone (you might to install this: http://www.android-rsap.com/ see also compatibility check for both phone and car model).

BTW, since Web browsing is disabled you only need this paid data connection for streaming TuneIN from the built-in app (that finally works again with all modern radio stations) and built-in hotspot. Both you can do also with the smartphone alone. So when they see nobody uses the paid Vodafone subscription anymore, I hope MB will stop with this model and offers tethering again (that is technology wise still present, but hidden).

Online features always where a 8-9 (on a scale of 10), now it is 5-6 (on the same scale) comparing it to other brands.
Don't know how it is with MBUX 6 and 7?

Keep us posted!
Hi
Going through the car's manual, if the car is equipped with LTE Communications module, then you can't connect to the internet other than Mercedes me activation, hope I'm wrong because this is my case.
Cars which is not equipped with the module can be connected through BT SAP or WIFI. Any other alternatives for my case with LTE module but no Mercedes me services in my country?

Old 06-18-2020, 04:39 PM

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts
2018 E63S
Originally Posted by ahmed031516
Hi
Going through the car's manual, if the car is equipped with LTE Communications module, then you can't connect to the internet other than Mercedes me activation, hope I'm wrong because this is my case.
Cars which is not equipped with the module can be connected through BT SAP or WIFI. Any other alternatives for my case with LTE module but no Mercedes me services in my country?
This may vary between different markets.
My 2018 E63S does connect to internet using the phone sim with rSAP.
My phone can then connect to internet and the car using Wifi.. The only problem is that the phone needs to support rSAP and my current phone doesn't..
The following users liked this post:
ahmed031516 (06-19-2020)