MB GPS sucks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,817 Likes on 2,551 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by Elvisfan0108
I have the automatic slowing down for exits, etc off. That’s too much for me. Especially the speed limit recognition. Too many times there are speed limit followed by minimum speed signs. The car picks up the minimum signs. Speed limit is 70 and my dash shows 45.
I have the automatic speed limit adoption turned off as well and instead manually adopt it by pressing RESUME when desired. That's a cool feature to initialize DISTRONIC to the current speed limit and then just do my 10-20 mph over adjustment and leave it there. I did leave the predictive slowdown on. They are separate settings. The only thing I don't like about the predictive slowdown is that it slows down in bigger curves on the highway, but I can just override it by stepping on the throttle. It does make DISTRONIC behave much more like a human, though, instead of panic stopping at the last moment once it caught up to the slow traffic ahead.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-05-2022 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-05-2022, 05:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
E-Class
I couldn't agree more!!! MB Navigation is so bad. I once took my MB Sales Rep for a drive in my 2020 GLE450, and he asked why I didn't use the MB Nav system? I didn't mean too, but I busted out laughing. I didn't want to insult him any more, so I just let him know, "I haven't had good luck with it." The truth is, the MB system can't compete. To be fair, I'm comparing it to Google Navigation, where I just say.. "Navigate to XYZ" and 100% of the time, I get to my destination as efficiently as possible. I can't say that for my MB NAV. Most of the time, it can never find what I'm looking for. So Forget it.......I'm not going to waste my time using the MB system. Stick to Google maps.
Old 05-05-2022, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
I haven't had issues with it not finding what I'm looking for, but it also seems many who decry it don't seem to take advantage of the features it offers. I generally send my destination to the car ahead of time from my phone and then when I get in the car it's already there and I just start the navigation from the prompt that pops up. No having to plug in my phone first and tell it where I wanna go. I generally keep my destinations if they are planned on my calendar and I've created a shortcut automation on my iPhone that with a couple of taps lets me send the location of an upcoming calendar event to the car.
Old 05-05-2022, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 268 Likes on 183 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic traded in for a 2022 E450 Coupe
Originally Posted by superswiss
I haven't had issues with it not finding what I'm looking for, but it also seems many who decry it don't seem to take advantage of the features it offers. I generally send my destination to the car ahead of time from my phone and then when I get in the car it's already there and I just start the navigation from the prompt that pops up. No having to plug in my phone first and tell it where I wanna go. I generally keep my destinations if they are planned on my calendar and I've created a shortcut automation on my iPhone that with a couple of taps lets me send the location of an upcoming calendar event to the car.
Works fine for me too
Old 05-05-2022, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
I also generally bring up the killer feature of in car navigation systems, and that is offline use. Those who generally use the phone apps must not be venturing to interesting places off the beaten path much where cell phone reception generally drops off. The phone apps that rely on an always-on or mostly-on internet connection are largely dead in the water in those places. Most of my longer trips take me off the beaten path into cell phone dead zones and I end up being the lead car when going with a group of friends, because their choice of navigation is dead.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 298 Posts
EQ
I have MB Nav and it takes me on weird ways to get to my destination, that's why I don't use it. Google maps allow for downloading offline maps, so no need for cell service.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by teksurv
Google maps allow for downloading offline maps, so no need for cell service.
Relatively small areas at a time that need to be stitched together with an unhelpful UI to cover enough area of a state, and if there are gaps it can't calculate a route to the destination. Been there, done that.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-05-2022 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by teksurv
I have MB Nav and it takes me on weird ways to get to my destination, that's why I don't use it.
There should be different route type settings such as eco, shortest and fastest. Make sure you have it set correctly and also don't exclude other things like toll roads. BTW, Google Maps now also takes weird routes as by default it picks the most fuel efficient route, which is not necessarily the fastest or shortest.
The following users liked this post:
beechcamp (05-08-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 575 Likes on 434 Posts
2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
You can't be serious: If you are going to take the time beforehand to put your destination into your phone to send it to the MB nav, why not do what I do: When I get into the car, I turn on Waze, and dictate to the phone where I want to go. Same time, do not have to plan ahead and the maps on either WAZE or Google which are far superior to the MB navigation. Most of the time I just plug in my iPhone, and use WAZE under the Apple iPhone app.

Frankly, with nearly everyone today having a smart phone, I do not even understand why MB even bothers to offer Navigation in their cars for the US. I wish they would give me a "delete" option at a discount. I would rather have the savings than MB navigation.

Just my $.02!
Old 05-05-2022, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 E 450, 2016 E350 4matic (retired), 2018 Ford Edge Sport, 2008 Porsche Boxster
There should be different route type settings such as eco, shortest and fastest. Make sure you have it set correctly and also don't exclude other things like toll roads. BTW, Google Maps now also takes weird routes as by default it picks the most fuel efficient route, which is not necessarily the fastest or shortest.
I always set my route to fastest!
Old 05-05-2022, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by JTK44
You can't be serious: If you are going to take the time beforehand to put your destination into your phone to send it to the MB nav, why not do what I do: When I get into the car, I turn on Waze, and dictate to the phone where I want to go. Same time, do not have to plan ahead and the maps on either WAZE or Google which are far superior to the MB navigation. Most of the time I just plug in my iPhone, and use WAZE under the Apple iPhone app.

Frankly, with nearly everyone today having a smart phone, I do not even understand why MB even bothers to offer Navigation in their cars for the US. I wish they would give me a "delete" option at a discount. I would rather have the savings than MB navigation.

Just my $.02!
I don't take time beforehand to put my destination on the phone. My schedule is in my calendar which automatically syncs to the phone. It has location information on there, too. My phone then knows where I'm going next and tells me when I need to leave based on current traffic. Being able to just tap and send the destination to the car is just icing on the cake. Doesn't require effort I'm not already putting in to manage my time. How do you manage your schedule? Wing it?
Old 05-06-2022, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

. How do you manage your schedule? Wing it?
I am retired. No more schedules!
Old 05-06-2022, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 268 Likes on 210 Posts
2019 E300
Thanks for the info gentleman. I figured if I paid all this money for a factory navi, I am going to use it, also, I think the factory system integrate into the car better than the phone app. I use phone apps as a back up, when factory traffic is inaccurate or if I am having issues with the factory navi.
Old 05-06-2022, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
I am retired. No more schedules!
Obviously if you don't have anywhere to be, then no need to plan. I'm just saying, though, most people have places to be and likely look up the destinations ahead of time to see how long the drive is and to plan what time to leave. It's just natural to send it to the car at that point and then it's already there. No need to search for it again.
Old 05-06-2022, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Obviously if you don't have anywhere to be, then no need to plan. I'm just saying, though, most people have places to be and likely look up the destinations ahead of time to see how long the drive is and to plan what time to leave. It's just natural to send it to the car at that point and then it's already there. No need to search for it again.
Once you put the destination into your phone for example in WAZE, which is better than the MB navigation, when you get into the car for your trip, you just plug in your phone, which you probably do anyhow to keep it charged, and voila: WAZE comes up and you are set to go.

From every post I have read, everyone at some time has had problems with their MB navigation, myself included - perhaps you are the exception: acknowledging this fact, I choose to use WAZE.

As the traffic updates are eliminated, after three years, I cannot imagine to continue to use MB navigation: People who are still using MB navigation will migrate to WAZE.
Old 05-06-2022, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by The G Man
Thanks for the info gentleman. I figured if I paid all this money for a factory navi, I am going to use it, also, I think the factory system integrate into the car better than the phone app. I use phone apps as a back up, when factory traffic is inaccurate or if I am having issues with the factory navi.
I have always found the MB navigation difficult to use, voice recognition is terrible aka "it sucks", not reliable and traffic updates well let's just say they are not up to date: I just look at the MB navigation as an extra cost option that I just do not use as there are far superior options like WAZE. If WAZE fails, then I will use the MB navigation as a back up - not the other way around!
Old 05-06-2022, 12:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Once you put the destination into your phone for example in WAZE, which is better than the MB navigation, when you get into the car for your trip, you just plug in your phone, which you probably do anyhow to keep it charged, and voila: WAZE comes up and you are set to go.

From every post I have read, everyone at some time has had problems with their MB navigation, myself included - perhaps you are the exception: acknowledging this fact, I choose to use WAZE.

As the traffic updates are eliminated, after three years, I cannot imagine to continue to use MB navigation: People who are still using MB navigation will migrate to WAZE.
Absolutely, I could just as easily start navigation with Google Maps or Waze. My point is the MB navigation works just as well, or better actually in my experience. Waze for example has gotten me badly stuck in San Francisco wanting me to make tons of left turns against streams of pedestrians and Waze has a history of some nasty bugs lately, causing audio and other issues. I uninstalled Waze a long time ago due to such issues, but to each their own. If I don't use the MB navigation I use Google Maps. I use the latter when traveling and not driving my car, or when driving my wife's car that doesn't have built-in nav. It's all good, but I just don't agree with the negative comments about the MB navigation, because it has never let me down so far. Always made it where I needed to be on time and with the convenience of always being there.

BTW, no I don't plug in my phone to charge. Don't need to. Constantly charging the battery and keep it at 100% degrades it very quickly, which is another reason I dislike using my phone for navigation in the car. Most days my battery lasts all day and I only charge overnight. If I do need to top up I just place it on the wireless charging pad. If my car had built-in wireless CarPlay/AA maybe I would use it more.

Last edited by superswiss; 05-06-2022 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-06-2022, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLE 350 2020
MB Navigation Dangerous

Originally Posted by Randyjaco
After 6 months of ownership of my E350, I have come to the conclusion that the GPS is the worst I have ever used. Other than installing a Garmin aftermarket unit, what can I do to get better GPS? Is there a way to get into the settings? We took a trip last week, it would only take us to our destinations via Interstates. The route home selected by the GPS was 30 minutes longer than the route that I selected. About 20% of the destinations I request can't be found, even street addresses? I frequently find that I have to use my phone GPS. Is there some way to cast my phone GPS/ functions to the MB screen/ communications system?
Any suggestions??? My phone is an Android.
Randy
The systems voice recognition is weak. Address recognition and lookup is a joke. Not only can't it find businesses but I'm in Florida and it gives me places in Germany, California... nothing intuitive. When driving it gives instructions when you're on or past an exit or turn. MB German Engineers are not what they used to be if tbey put out such inferior products. My father would be ashamed.. I wonder if a "real German" even runs MB anymore
Old 05-07-2022, 03:42 AM

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
W213 220d from 2016
Originally Posted by tvstaff
The systems voice recognition is weak. Address recognition and lookup is a joke. Not only can't it find businesses but I'm in Florida and it gives me places in Germany, California... nothing intuitive. When driving it gives instructions when you're on or past an exit or turn. MB German Engineers are not what they used to be if tbey put out such inferior products. My father would be ashamed.. I wonder if a "real German" even runs MB anymore
To point out a fact, german engineering has a reputation of being top notch in the mechanical-engineering aspect - they have never had a reputation of being above anybody in computer-engineering.

To my knowledge, then the gps/satnav/computer part is handled by a 3rd party operator…(most likely Japanese or Korean) so what the “Germans” can be blaimed for is accepting the bad solutions - but can’t be blaimed for “engneering” them and for sure, its not linked to their “engineering-heritage”

I seldom use MB navigation, as I like google maps better. But the MB nav is always on in the right side of the dashboard… which is a neat feature
Old 05-07-2022, 07:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 268 Likes on 210 Posts
2019 E300
Originally Posted by tvstaff
if you are out driving your navi, the navi telling you to turn after you pass the turn, you might have an issue with your gps reception. I have never had this problem in any of my MB. As far as factory navi, the Japanese car brands has generally been better than the German car brands. Usually MB puts out a spec for the navi and the vendor program and build it to that spec. I find Japanese car electronics more reliable both in function and long term, but I must say, I certainly did not buy a MB for its reliability or the electronics.
Old 05-07-2022, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by The G Man
if you are out driving your navi, the navi telling you to turn after you pass the turn, you might have an issue with your gps reception. I have never had this problem in any of my MB. As far as factory navi, the Japanese car brands has generally been better than the German car brands. Usually MB puts out a spec for the navi and the vendor program and build it to that spec. I find Japanese car electronics more reliable both in function and long term, but I must say, I certainly did not buy a MB for its reliability or the electronics.
Does anyone know if Garmin is still supplying the navigation for Mercedes?

see: https://discover.garmin.com/en-US/aoem/navigation/
Old 05-08-2022, 06:15 AM

Received 118 Likes on 75 Posts
2021 e All Terrain, 2001 e55
[QUOTE=JTK44;8559120] why not do what I do: When I get into the car, I turn on Waze, and dictate to the phone where I want to go. Same time, do not have to plan ahead and the maps on either WAZE or Google which are far superior to the MB navigation. Most of the time I just plug in my iPhone, and use WAZE under the Apple iPhone app.

This what I do
Old 05-08-2022, 09:05 AM

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
2022 E450 All Terrain
I actually like the MB navigation system. I usually enter my destinations using the Mercedes me app on my phone. I don't like to clutter my interior with extra cords or phone holders so there is not a good place to put the phone if using it for navigation. I also like my 12.3" display for navigation so I can see the roads and turns better compared to the smaller phone screen.
Old 05-08-2022, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Druid1
I actually like the MB navigation system. I usually enter my destinations using the Mercedes me app on my phone. I don't like to clutter my interior with extra cords or phone holders so there is not a good place to put the phone if using it for navigation. I also like my 12.3" display for navigation so I can see the roads and turns better compared to the smaller phone screen.
Screen size and clutter: I put my iPhone in the front console and connect via a cable: Using Apple Play and WAZE, the WAZE map takes up the entire screen and is in vivid color - the same screen size as MB navigation. Plus WAZE gives you POLICE and red camera alerts - two items missing from MB Navigation.
Old 05-08-2022, 09:43 AM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
2018 E400 Wagon, P3, Cavansite Blue Metallic, Designo Interior
My wife and I were vacationing in an unfamiliar area and we found a great benefit to changing route settings on the M-B GPS. We had locations to visit and set the route settings to shortest so the GPS would favor back roads instead of highways. We came across the most unusual and wonderful locations that we did not know about. We would never have seen these locations had the GPS taken us on the fastest setting, via highways. Since we were not in a hurry, it was a great benefit!

Bonus points if you can identify where I took this photo image

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MB GPS sucks