Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
E300 4matic
Buying new tires

Hey guys,
My car tires are 245/40-19
I have

front wheels are company called HB bravo non run flat tires
rear wheels are Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Run Flat

Both of them are Mid 2019 cars and in good condition.

Since I bought the car two months ago, it irritate me that I have two different tires front are non run flat and rear non run flat.
After visiting several tire shops here in Saudi, they advised me not to change the tires and use what I have until 4 of them need changing and buy 4 new ones either run flat or non run flat.
So, will that affect the stability of the car for the long run? or should I change the front two to pirelli so it will be similar to the rear ones?
Old 09-06-2020, 02:16 PM

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe
Read the many posts on this forum about run-flat tires. The near universal opinion is that they're truly awful — rough ride and poor handling compared to non-RFTs. In my opinion you should replace all four tires with top-quality non-run-flat tires, which is what I did. You spent a great deal of money on the car — don't try to save a relatively small sum on the tires. I chose Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires and I'm very happy with the ride and handling; other posters have reported good results with other brands of tires.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:45 AM

E300 4matic
I am totally agreeing with you, regarding the rigidity, specially with the quality of roads here.

So what I'll do, I'll keep my fairly brand new tires now until it wears out then changing them with high quality non-RFT! I'll search for alternative to spare tire, either small one or just buy some tirefit kit and air pressure if I face any issues in the road with non-RFT
Old 09-07-2020, 04:18 PM

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe
Sounds like a reasonable plan. I'm not familiar with HB tires — perhaps they aren't sold in the US — but if you like them and think they're good quality, consider replacing the two RFTs with the appropriate HB brand and use one of the old RFTs as your spare.

Personally I don't have a spare to go with my four non-RFT tires, but I do have a can of aerosol tire inflator in the trunk for emergencies, and as I said in the post I referred you to, there are a lot of towing and repair services here in southern California when I drive, so I'm not too worried. But that might not be a good option for you if the roads where you drive in Saudi are not great (they aren't in great shape here anymore, either, as that part of our infrastructure has been allowed to deteriorate over the past 50 years).
Old 09-07-2020, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 669 Likes on 525 Posts
2018 S560 and 2019 E450 Wagon.
It's generally not a good idea to have two different brands of tires front vs rear. It might be fine under normal driving conditions but in emergency situations or if you really push the car hard around corners when you drive the tires can have varying handling characteristics therefore creating either under steer or over steer. What really matters most and what you should look up is what the designation of the tires is. For example there are ultra high performance tires for example the quoted Michelin tires which are a summer tire and then there are Grand touring tires which is what your Pirelli Cinturato tires are and more than likely an all season tire. You never want to mix a tire like a ultra high performance tire with a grand touring tire front to back as the sidewalls have a different stiffness and that will definitely create poor handling dynamics.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:14 AM

E300 4matic
Originally Posted by The_Judge
Sounds like a reasonable plan. I'm not familiar with HB tires — perhaps they aren't sold in the US — but if you like them and think they're good quality, consider replacing the two RFTs with the appropriate HB brand and use one of the old RFTs as your spare.

Personally I don't have a spare to go with my four non-RFT tires, but I do have a can of aerosol tire inflator in the trunk for emergencies, and as I said in the post I referred you to, there are a lot of towing and repair services here in southern California when I drive, so I'm not too worried. But that might not be a good option for you if the roads where you drive in Saudi are not great (they aren't in great shape here anymore, either, as that part of our infrastructure has been allowed to deteriorate over the past 50 years).
I am not familiar with HB too, i think it is Canadian brand! since the car is imported from canada! I am moving toward changing 4 of them to non-RFT since the rigidity is killing me with the sound. Also, some streets here are not in great shape! highways are perfect but inside my old city not that much. In saudi Highway towing services are there and if you can't find any, the saudi highway security supported by government can come to you and support you if you needed any help!

To be totally honest, my tires in all of my cars were from good quality brands and I have never faced any issue with them, so spare might not be a big issue!

Old 09-08-2020, 01:17 AM

E300 4matic
Originally Posted by 2012 merc amg
It's generally not a good idea to have two different brands of tires front vs rear. It might be fine under normal driving conditions but in emergency situations or if you really push the car hard around corners when you drive the tires can have varying handling characteristics therefore creating either under steer or over steer. What really matters most and what you should look up is what the designation of the tires is. For example there are ultra high performance tires for example the quoted Michelin tires which are a summer tire and then there are Grand touring tires which is what your Pirelli Cinturato tires are and more than likely an all season tire. You never want to mix a tire like a ultra high performance tire with a grand touring tire front to back as the sidewalls have a different stiffness and that will definitely create poor handling dynamics.
you are totally correct, I have face the issue twice once when I was driving 180km/hr I felt it, and once I took hard turn with almost above usual speed. the damage will only in the tires which I might replace all of them when they wear out!