Two issues with E220d 2016 W213

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E220 W213
Angry Two issues with E220d 2016 W213

Hi all,

I have recently purchased a 2016 E220d only 3 months ago from Mercedes dealership in London, the car is currently under a 1 year warranty. The car is on 45k Mileage with full service history.

I have 2 issues with the vehicle, however, Mercedes keeps saying there is nothing wrong with the vehicle.

First issue: When driving anything above 50--60 miles per hour usually on the motorway, you start getting this weird vibration on the steering wheel and hearing this strange noise like a HUMMING Noise, but the noise seems to be coming from under the car like the driveshaft and its assoicated units/parts. The noise and vibration on the steering wheel constantly occurs, from time to time it goes away and comes back. For example, I would be driving on motorway, and randomly it would occur and then i would slow down or accelerate further, once I change the motion of the vehicles movement by accelerating or reducing the speed of the vehicle the noises/vibration would go away but then pick up again after a certain motion. I am not a vehicle tech guy, but i could almost confirm something is worn out under the car, because something is really struggling, grinding, dying under the carriage.

Mercedes are saying there is nothing wrong the vehicle, this is quite weird actually because untill i drove 3 different loaner cars i thought they were liying. I drove a loaner C200d 2019 AMG Line and it had the same issues, and i drove a loner E220d 2019 plate AMG Line, these vehicles both have the same issue, a struggling/harsh/vibration sound coming from under the vehicle, as if its coming from the tyres or CV axles or joints, or bearings. I was definite with Merc lying until i drove these two brand new 2019 cars, but now I have started to think this is normal? I have almost accepted that this is normal with E and C classes....

Does anyone have this issue with their E220d?

Second issue: This problem actually did not exist untill my vehicle came out of the servicing garage of Mercedes for the first issue, technically Mercedes has created this issue themselves. Now whenever i press on the gas pedal, i get a Whistling/Hissing noise...I mean, I never had this issue before, its bizzare how they could bring the vehicle back in this condition. I believe there is a leak somewhere, (Vaccum Leak), this is what any logical person would think of in my opinion. How unfortunate i am that, my car is being serviced by another Dealership (Stratford) instead of my Dealership (Watford), this is because some guy must of been tested positive for coronavirus, now the whole station is closed. The alternative dealership which took my car in for service, The Startford dealership, they are telling me that 2 different master technicans took the car out on a test drive and could not find any issues. Neither Issue 1 or Issue 2 was found. But, they do confirm there was a Whistling/Hissing noise when acceleration, but they denied that this was a defect as they said that this comes from the turbo and it is normal for the E Class model of Merc. When i told them that, this issue was not present until i handed over my car for repair, they told me that i probably just didn't realize the noise...Oh my god, i simply cannot believe the level of B.S i have gotten myself into by taking a car out with Mercedes...or am i the only unfortunate mercedes customer?

I have raised a customer complaint with Customer Services and we have now elevated the complaint to the Rejection path. Meaning, I have requested the Watford dealership to give me a new car ASAP. This is the situation the problem has escelated to.

Would you believe it?

Didn't mean to write alot, but, if you do have any ideas/suggestion in relation to the Issue 1 and Issue 2 i stated above, please please let me know as its driving me crazy.

Thanks all

Last edited by volkan250; 09-24-2020 at 05:56 AM.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:50 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
2021 CLS 400d
Issue 1: Have you had the balancing checked on all 4 wheels? If not, do this first

Issue 2: How loud is the whistle?
Old 09-23-2020, 04:10 PM

E220 W213
Originally Posted by SunnyE53
Issue 1: Have you had the balancing checked on all 4 wheels? If not, do this first

Issue 2: How loud is the whistle?
Issue 1 : yes a balancing was carried out on all 4 wheels by Watford mercedes. Unfortunately the issue persists.

Issue 2: when parked up in park mode, if u rev the engine u can clearly and loudly hear it. It gets louder when u drive the car for a long time. On the motorway u won't hear it as it's loud, but city driving 30mph yes u hear it loudly. When u take Ur foot off the gas, u stop hearing it.
Old 05-15-2021, 05:15 PM

W213 220d
Originally Posted by volkan250
Hi all,

I have recently purchased a 2016 E220d only 3 months ago from Mercedes dealership in London, the car is currently under a 1 year warranty. The car is on 45k Mileage with full service history.

I have 2 issues with the vehicle, however, Mercedes keeps saying there is nothing wrong with the vehicle.

First issue: When driving anything above 50--60 miles per hour usually on the motorway, you start getting this weird vibration on the steering wheel and hearing this strange noise like a HUMMING Noise, but the noise seems to be coming from under the car like the driveshaft and its assoicated units/parts. The noise and vibration on the steering wheel constantly occurs, from time to time it goes away and comes back. For example, I would be driving on motorway, and randomly it would occur and then i would slow down or accelerate further, once I change the motion of the vehicles movement by accelerating or reducing the speed of the vehicle the noises/vibration would go away but then pick up again after a certain motion. I am not a vehicle tech guy, but i could almost confirm something is worn out under the car, because something is really struggling, grinding, dying under the carriage.

Mercedes are saying there is nothing wrong the vehicle, this is quite weird actually because untill i drove 3 different loaner cars i thought they were liying. I drove a loaner C200d 2019 AMG Line and it had the same issues, and i drove a loner E220d 2019 plate AMG Line, these vehicles both have the same issue, a struggling/harsh/vibration sound coming from under the vehicle, as if its coming from the tyres or CV axles or joints, or bearings. I was definite with Merc lying until i drove these two brand new 2019 cars, but now I have started to think this is normal? I have almost accepted that this is normal with E and C classes....

Does anyone have this issue with their E220d?

Second issue: This problem actually did not exist untill my vehicle came out of the servicing garage of Mercedes for the first issue, technically Mercedes has created this issue themselves. Now whenever i press on the gas pedal, i get a Whistling/Hissing noise...I mean, I never had this issue before, its bizzare how they could bring the vehicle back in this condition. I believe there is a leak somewhere, (Vaccum Leak), this is what any logical person would think of in my opinion. How unfortunate i am that, my car is being serviced by another Dealership (Stratford) instead of my Dealership (Watford), this is because some guy must of been tested positive for coronavirus, now the whole station is closed. The alternative dealership which took my car in for service, The Startford dealership, they are telling me that 2 different master technicans took the car out on a test drive and could not find any issues. Neither Issue 1 or Issue 2 was found. But, they do confirm there was a Whistling/Hissing noise when acceleration, but they denied that this was a defect as they said that this comes from the turbo and it is normal for the E Class model of Merc. When i told them that, this issue was not present until i handed over my car for repair, they told me that i probably just didn't realize the noise...Oh my god, i simply cannot believe the level of B.S i have gotten myself into by taking a car out with Mercedes...or am i the only unfortunate mercedes customer?

I have raised a customer complaint with Customer Services and we have now elevated the complaint to the Rejection path. Meaning, I have requested the Watford dealership to give me a new car ASAP. This is the situation the problem has escelated to.

Would you believe it?

Didn't mean to write alot, but, if you do have any ideas/suggestion in relation to the Issue 1 and Issue 2 i stated above, please please let me know as its driving me crazy.

Thanks all
you find the problem? I have thé same issues