2017 digital dash replaced with 2019 model under warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2020, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E300
2017 digital dash replaced and updated

First of all, Hi! (new here)

I bought my cpo 2017 E300 4matic luxury sedan in April but had my eye on these for a long time. It's my first Benz and already exceeded expectations. Luckily, I found mine basically loaded: P3, massage seats, self driving, panoramic, digital dash, diamond silver (bluish?), black mb-tex, and most importantly air balance fragrance (jk I hate it).

Here's where things get interesting...

I noticed some white developing on the edges of the dash screens and brought it to the dealer for a warranty claim. They agreed, sourced the part and had it replaced in a week. When I picked up the car I thought I was losing my mind. Everything in the dash was a little different, better, bigger‽

After getting home and really digging through the system to figure out what was changed, I think the whole thing was replaced with the 2019 (2018?) system. I should add some pictures but here are the highlights:

Better

Trackpads control CarPlay
This is a big one obviously since it was pretty annoying that the right steering wheel and main touchpad should have worked on the OG 2017 system

Spotify music/media displayed in dashboard
Instead of the crappy "CarPlay Active" message, actual album art and info is displayed next to the tach and songs can be skipped with the left trackpad on the steering wheel

MB map displays in dash simultaneously with CarPlay navi
Used to be the earth and moon image

Front wheel camera view now shows front and rear wheels stitched together
Tire temperatures on pressure monitor gauge
Slightly improved progressive dash design
Easier navigation of dash widgets
Main menu UI revised with nicer icons

Ambient lighting has updated UI
Better engine data screen in menu
"Don’t Forget Your Key" shows the correct key icon
Heads up display slightly updated with more info on active assists
a couple of mb navigation improvements
and more probably

Worse

NAVI, MEDIA, hard buttons no longer bring up CarPlay screens
When carplay was active on 2017 model, hitting the NAVI hard button went directly to the active navigation (apple/google maps)
now they only go to MB navigation, etc. (is this correct?)

The font is bigger?
I think they increased the font size in the menus and HVAC - maybe feedback from old customers?

---

All in all, net positive - the updates for CarPlay functionality make me feel like it's even more future proofed now, which was one of the attractions to this car in the first place. What more will I need if the car is efficient, reliable, and I can fill the screens with tech that's constantly updating though apps?

Love this thing

Last edited by rallgood; 12-08-2020 at 01:21 PM. Reason: corrected
Old 12-08-2020, 12:23 PM

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
W213 220d from 2016
Congrats on getting the dash changed under warranty - I have the same issue and I will just have to live with it as the warranty is long gone...

but all you mention has nothing to do with the actual dash... what you have gotten aswell is a firmware/software update on comand.

I have gotten exactly what you mention(and also had what you mentioned) by getting my firmware updated to the latest that was available... this now shows on my white-edged widescreen dash from 2016(2017 model)
Old 12-08-2020, 12:28 PM

E300
oh really all 2017 owners can get this update?
Old 12-08-2020, 01:03 PM

W213 220d from 2016
Originally Posted by rallgood
oh really all 2017 owners can get this update?
yes:-) its not linked to a dash change - to be honest then I don’t think you got a 2019 dash. Its a dash that fits the car(most likely a new from 2017) and then the firmware has been updated to match the newer feel.

Last edited by JakeW213; 12-08-2020 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-08-2020, 01:22 PM

E300
gah I wish I could change my thread title

anyway - glad to hear all '17 owners can update!
Old 12-08-2020, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 797 Likes on 629 Posts
That update may be quite expensive unless there is an issue that is under warranty.
Old 12-08-2020, 01:32 PM

E300
oh that's the trick huh
Old 12-08-2020, 02:38 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2017 E300W
Originally Posted by ua549
That update may be quite expensive unless there is an issue that is under warranty.
Absolutely correct. Dealer I've used for 20+ years told me the same thing on a recent service visit. That is, they are no longer permitted to do gratis software updates (COMAND, etc.) unless it is part of a warranty issue.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:19 PM

Received 93 Likes on 70 Posts
MB W213 E300 4MATIC Luxury Model
Originally Posted by TPAbnz
Absolutely correct. Dealer I've used for 20+ years told me the same thing on a recent service visit. That is, they are no longer permitted to do gratis software updates (COMAND, etc.) unless it is part of a warranty issue.
Yep, unless there is a warranty related issue they will not perform the software firmware up. That’s a bunch of crap IMO. MB continues to take their loyal customers for granted. I wouldn’t mind paying a fee for software firmware upgrades to keep the car current
The following 3 users liked this post by kingscorpian27:
Frank Rizzo (12-10-2020), Kejad (12-15-2020), TPAbnz (12-09-2020)
Old 12-09-2020, 08:26 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
MBUSA current mandate:

Old 12-09-2020, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
I came back to the about dealer 3 weeks ago and they did not find the white edges warrantable. Anyway, its noted on the paperwork pre warranty ending, since now my car just passed the 4 year mark last week. Really wish they would come out with a TSB
Old 12-09-2020, 10:48 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
MBUSA - only way a Xentry bulletin or Service Campaign will be generated is if everyone experiencing a particular non-safety problem that dealership service manager and/or shop foreman/lead tech decides is not covered by warranty submits it to PTSS recording all events to ultimately be acted upon.

Old 12-09-2020, 11:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
E300 4matic
Originally Posted by JakeW213
Congrats on getting the dash changed under warranty - I have the same issue and I will just have to live with it as the warranty is long gone...

but all you mention has nothing to do with the actual dash... what you have gotten aswell is a firmware/software update on comand.

I have gotten exactly what you mention(and also had what you mentioned) by getting my firmware updated to the latest that was available... this now shows on my white-edged widescreen dash from 2016(2017 model)
I doubt that MB in saudi will update the software for free! Is it okay to be updated outside ?
Old 12-10-2020, 07:22 AM

W213 220d from 2016
Originally Posted by Eng.A
I doubt that MB in saudi will update the software for free! Is it okay to be updated outside ?
I got mine updated at a local mechanic who specializes in Mercedes and AMG. They charged me €350 euro and that included firmware upgrade and navigation update to newest maps. I was really only interested in the firmware but this was the deal they would give me.

The official MB dealer said it couldn’t be done:-)

Compared to what stuff costs in general, then ofcourse this is the same as buying a midlevel tablet.

but for me it makes the enjoyment of the car so much better... nothing worse than having something that was state of the art when it came(widscreen display/comand) and then a couple of years after... slow and faulty...my dads ford fiesta reponded quicker in its, much cheaper, OS
Old 12-10-2020, 07:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
E300 4matic
Originally Posted by JakeW213
I got mine updated at a local mechanic who specializes in Mercedes and AMG. They charged me €350 euro and that included firmware upgrade and navigation update to newest maps. I was really only interested in the firmware but this was the deal they would give me.

The official MB dealer said it couldn’t be done:-)

Compared to what stuff costs in general, then ofcourse this is the same as buying a midlevel tablet.

but for me it makes the enjoyment of the car so much better... nothing worse than having something that was state of the art when it came(widscreen display/comand) and then a couple of years after... slow and faulty...my dads ford fiesta reponded quicker in its, much cheaper, OS
good to know that it is not the MB dealer only.
I might do it with maps update and my traffic sign assist fix., this feature is not working since I imported the car from canada and I upload new map. for 350 euro it is good deal since most shops here in Saudi charge you around 400 USD for maps only!