E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

2018 E43 AMG will not reverse

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 mercedes e43 amg
2018 E43 AMG will not reverse

Hi all. New member. First post. I am visiting with family for the holidays and my uncle's 2018 E43 AMG is having an issue. I could not find the right combination of keywords to answer this question so I am hoping for some expertise.

I really hope this is a stupid question that can be answered easily.

The car has been working fine. He's been driving it. But he recently had another family member drive the car for a few days. Now the car will not reverse. Here are the symptoms and my attempts at troubleshooting.

The car starts. I can change the gear to Reverse. The car does not move. If I apply gas, the engine revs but the car does not move.
I thought maybe it was because I did not wear my seatbelt and it was a safety interlock. Once I returned to the car and tried it again with my seatbelt on, it still did not move.
The electronic parking brake is NOT active. I pushed the switch and the PARK light comes on, then I push it again to release and there is no PARK light on.

The car is in a small garage. It shows proximity sensors in the front (blinking red), the front right (red) and the rear left (yellow).
The current driving mode is "C" (which shows to the left of the R, N, D display on the digital dashboard).
I can put the car into Neutral. I did not test Drive because there is literally 2 inches to the wall and I did not want to risk the car moving even 1 mm.

Any idea what is preventing the car from engaging in reverse and allowing the car to move?
Old 12-19-2020, 10:42 PM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
e300
Only thing I can think of is disable the parking sensors. Its the button beside the start stop. Can you drive forward an inch or two? Then drive reverse?
Old 12-20-2020, 02:36 AM

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts
W213 220d from 2016
Can you put it in neutral and push it out of the garage? Maybe trying to driving it forward(outside the garage) will trigger it?
Old 12-20-2020, 02:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Worst case could be shifter (steering column shift module) or Intelligent Servo Module (ISM). Check battery, if fine (long shot) since all was fine without any indication of malfunctioning try disconnecting battery (disconnect ground line) for 10-15 minutes in an attempt to reset. If this fails factory warranty will cover repair call roadside assistance to diagnose and, if needed, arrange tow to closest dealer.

Last edited by konigstiger; 12-20-2020 at 02:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (12-21-2020)