E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

alternate tire sizes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 E300 sport
alternate tire sizes

I have a 2017 E300 4MATIC sedan (213). I am considering getting rid of the Goodyear RF tires that are currently on the vehicle. I would like to run a 255/45/18 or maybe even a265/45/18. I have the AMG 18 inch wheels with the sport package, and also do have the P31 AMG Line body effects. any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-20-2020, 06:29 PM

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts
2015 E400 and 2015 GLK350
I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish with the change. You can check the OD (outside diameter) of the alternate tires on various web sites, such as TireRack. That won't tell you if they will rub anything, though, it will only tell you how much more room you will need. There will not be a major difference in width between your stock 245-45X18 and your alternate sizes. The difference will be more in the tire height.

Somebody here may know if there is enough clearance to run 255 or 265's, but also do check as to how much speedometer error the increased diameter will cause. You will be going faster than your speedo indicates, thus inducing risk of speeding citations. There may also be some degradation of performance (slower acceleration) due to the taller tires.

Most of the folks who are trying to improve the ride of the E-Class cars with Sport suspension seem to focus on switching to 17-inch rims with the stock 17-inch tire sizes. These ride softer due to their taller sidewalls, but they don't look as "cool" and don't corner as well. The advantage, though, is that these are stock MB parts, and speedometer accuracy can be maintained.

On my previous cars (Lexus LS's), I chose to upgrade from factory 16-inch wheels to factory 17-inch wheels. I then bough wider aspect ratio tires that had the same outside diameter as the stock tires. That way, I got more tread width with no loss of speedometer accuracy and little impact on acceleration. Tires just looked "super wide" from front or back, looked stock from the side. That met my "needs" -- but your intent could be entirely different.

BTW - Unless your dealer service department is unique, don't expect them to offer any help. They will only advise to stay with all stock, or with other size choices that were offered as stock on other models of W213. They usually are not allowed to recommend any "custom" options. Maybe a tire shop (TireRack?) has enough data to know what fits. Call them - they have been very helpful to me in the past.
Old 12-20-2020, 06:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 E300 sport
The 265 would be about 3/4 of an inch taller and 7/8 of an inch wider, The MPH difference is about 1MPH @ 50MPH. I'm just looking for a little more aggressive look (in width) and possibly a little better ride with the increased sidewall height. Just curious if anyone has toyed with the combinations.