E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

S-213 Cargo Area Protection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 12:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 Mercedes-Benz E400 4MATIC Wagon
S-213 Cargo Area Protection

I'm looking for recommendations for cargo area liners and mats for S-213 E Class wagons that users here have had good success with.

Our GL 450 (wife's car) has a plastic mat that splits and folds to protect the carpet in that area weather second and third row seats are up or down. I haven't been able to find a similar product for the E class wagon.

One product I looked at (Amazon # B07C83Q3ZV, North American Custom Covers) looks as if it would provide excellent coverage, but I am concerned that the adhesive backed Velcro strips that you must adhere to interior trim pieces might cause damage to those pieces whenever they are removed.

Has anyone here used such a product? How did it work out?

Thank you!

Last edited by Kevin T; 02-25-2021 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 02-25-2021, 01:20 PM

Received 124 Likes on 100 Posts
2018 E400 Coupe
Have you considered the products from www.WeatherTech.com?
Old 02-25-2021, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by The_Judge
Have you considered the products from www.WeatherTech.com?
Thank you.

I might get their cargo area mat to place on top of whatever liner I get to protect the bottom, sides, back of seats, and inside of the lift gate.

One disadvantage of the WT mat is that it does t protect the backs of the second row seats. also, its lip at the base of the 2nd row seats interferes with long items being slid into place with the 2nd row folded down. This lip can get damaged when you do this repeatedly or with heavy items. I had this problem in the past with a Volvo wagon.

I'm also looking at a Canvasback brand liner that allows access to the 3rd row jump seat without removing the liner. I'd appreciate feedback on that type as well.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kevin T:
Flazoom (02-26-2021), rey_winslow (02-26-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,755 Likes on 1,125 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Delete...

Last edited by DFWdude; 02-25-2021 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by DFWdude
Perhaps you will get answers from owners with experience if you post your question on the GL-Class forums
I'm asking about a cargo liner for my 2018 E400 wagon (S-213).

I did refer to a product we have for our GL, but which I have not seen made for corresponding product for E class wagons.

I guess I'd better review my OP and edit for clarity.
The following users liked this post:
mercedes.fan (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,755 Likes on 1,125 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by Kevin T
I'm asking about a cargo liner for my 2018 E400 wagon (S-213). I guess I'd better review my OP and edit for clarity.
You don't mention that you own a 2018 E400 wagon (S-213) either: 1) in your signature line below your posts, or 2) in your car listing under your Screen Name. Either would help.

I deleted my post prior to your reply. And to be constructive, I'm a big fan of Weathertech mats (at least for front row and cargo areas.)
Old 02-25-2021, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by DFWdude
You don't mention that you own a 2018 E400 wagon (S-213) either: 1) in your signature line below your posts, or 2) in your car listing under your Screen Name. Either would help.
Good point. I will update my profile. I've only owned the wagon for three days, but I can see where it would be helpful to keep my profile and sig up to date. I edited the op to be clearer, and I did put S-213 in the thread title.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:03 PM

Received 171 Likes on 108 Posts
2020 E450 Wagon
Look at Canvasback cargo liners. I've had them in my last four vehicles and they protect well, are durable and can be washed down and dry quickly if they get dirty. There are also side pieces that integrate for an extra $50.

https://www.canvasback.com/
Old 02-25-2021, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by fleuger99
Look at Canvasback cargo liners. I've had them in my last four vehicles and they protect well...There are also side pieces that integrate for an extra $50. https://www.canvasback.com/
Thank you. I was looking at their product online earlier today. It can be configured to allow access to tie down rings and our third row jump seat, which was a feature my wife is interested in.

I'm interested in learning how well the Canvasback would stand up to two giant breed dogs, a young Newfoundland and a senior English Mastiff. These dogs' inability (Mastiff) and unwillingness (Newfie) to hop into A SUV-height vehicle was one of the main considerations for choosing the E Wagon.

Some reviews I read earlier indicated that the Canvasback's fabric is relatively slippery a d not particularly sturdy. These reviews concern me, Has that been your experience? I could counter that by placing a rubberized mat, a dog bed, or maybe even a WeatherTech mat on top of the Canvasback.

I'm aware that many more dissatisfied customers post reviews than happy ones, which is why I'm here asking for opinions.

Old 02-25-2021, 08:15 PM

2020 E450 Wagon
Thank you. I was looking at their product online earlier today. It can be configured to allow access to tie down rings and our third row jump seat, which was a feature my wife is interested in.

I'm interested in learning how well the Canvasback would stand up to two giant breed dogs, a young Newfoundland and a senior English Mastiff. These dogs' inability (Mastiff) and unwillingness (Newfie) to hop into A SUV-height vehicle was one of the main considerations for choosing the E Wagon.

Some reviews I read earlier indicated that the Canvasback's fabric is relatively slippery a d not particularly sturdy. These reviews concern me, Has that been your experience? I could counter that by placing a rubberized mat, a dog bed, or maybe even a WeatherTech mat on top of the Canvasback.

I'm aware that many more dissatisfied customers post reviews than happy ones, which is why I'm here asking for opinions.
I use them in my vehicles because I have two retired racing Greyhounds in the car every day and the cargo liners have held up very well. I agree, they are slippery on their own but we purchased a large cotton blanket and put that down over the top of the liner and that combo works very well. Here are a few pics from the different vehicles we've had the liners in.

2018 BMW X5

2015 Volvo XC70

2019 VW Golf Sportwagen

I am yet to purchase the cargo liner for my 2020 E450 wagon. I've only had the car since Jan this year and still have the VW wagon so I'm keeping the dogs out of the E450 for now.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:37 PM

Great Info!

I use them in my vehicles because I have two retired racing Greyhounds in the car every day and the cargo liners have held up very well. I agree, they are slippery on their own but we purchased a large cotton blanket and put that down over the top of the liner and that combo works very well.

I am yet to purchase the cargo liner for my 2020 E450 wagon. I've only had the car since Jan this year and still have the VW wagon so I'm keeping the dogs out of the E450 for now.
That's an awesome endorsement. We'll definitely consider Canvasback. I like the options to configure them with optional panels. Our Newfie is a shedding machine. I don't want to have to struggle to keep her fur out of the carpet.

By the way, kudos to you for rescuing those greyhounds. Our best friends have a retired racer. He's actually more of a racing failure, because apparently he wasn't successful enough, and they took him out of the program around 18 months. He's very fast and loves to run. We took him to a fun (not competitive) coursing meet a few years ago. He smoked all of the other dogs there except for one Saluki who apparently does race competitively. Shell's a fantastic dog, very friendly. He does have some digestive issues and is very timid about slippery surfaces. Living in Alaska, that can be a problem. He does have shoes and fleece "pajamas" to wear when it's particularly cold.

it probably seems crazy to buy a $50K (used) car for your dogs, but it was a real PITA getting them into our GL or my former Q5.

Anyway, thanks again for your product recommendation.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:56 PM

2020 E450 Wagon
That's an awesome endorsement. We'll definitely consider Canvasback. I like the options to configure them with optional panels. Our Newfie is a shedding machine. I don't want to have to struggle to keep her fur out of the carpet.

By the way, kudos to you for rescuing those greyhounds. Our best friends have a retired racer. He's actually more of a racing failure, because apparently he wasn't successful enough, and they took him out of the program around 18 months. He's very fast and loves to run. We took him to a fun (not competitive) coursing meet a few years ago. He smoked all of the other dogs there except for one Saluki who apparently does race competitively. Shell's a fantastic dog, very friendly. He does have some digestive issues and is very timid about slippery surfaces. Living in Alaska, that can be a problem. He does have shoes and fleece "pajamas" to wear when it's particularly cold.

it probably seems crazy to buy a $50K (used) car for your dogs, but it was a real PITA getting them into our GL or my former Q5.

Anyway, thanks again for your product recommendation.
Yeah, the Saluki as you probably know is a close relative of the Greyhound (and Spanish Galgo). Our female (fawn colored) Sydney was a racing failure, she only raced for 6 months and they pulled her. If you see her run you can see why. She bounces down the field LOL! Our male, Sammy was a AA race dog and raced for 4 years, over 180 races and was very good. However, now that he is getting older he is starting to have arthritis issues on his front right shoulder. We love the breed as they are such loving and sweet dogs. It takes about six months for them to develop their personalities once off the track. They don't know what to do with toys at first and they also don't know how too do stairs as there are no stairs on the race track. This is our third and fourth Greyhounds. We live in Texas now but lived in MA for fifteen years so had to get winter coats for the Greyhounds as they have little body fat and their fur coats are very thin. You have the right dogs for Alaska

Sydney has a thick coat for a Greyhound and she sheds in spring time. Their fur is easily vacuumed out of the cargo liner. If you get the side pieces as well, it will protect that carpeting too. I know what you mean about buying cars to accommodate our dogs, hence why I've had so many wagons. Good luck with the cargo liner. Post some pics once you get yours so I can see how they look in the MB wagon. I won't be buying mine until the end of this year when I sell the VW wagon.
Kevin T (02-25-2021)
Old 03-07-2021, 12:37 PM

Side Panel Attacment

<SNIP>Here are a few pics from the different vehicles we've had the liners in.

2018 BMW X5

I've watched several Canvasback installation videos, but so far I haven't been able to find one that shows installation of the side or back panels. I noticed you had used the side panels in your X5, so I thought I'd ask you about that.

How do the side and rear panels attach?

if it uses adhesive strips to attach to trim pieces, are they removable from the car without damage to the vehicle?

thanks again for sharing your experience.

In a couple of months we'll be driving from Anchorage, Alaska to Indianapolis with our Mastiff and Newfoundland. We want to protect the the cargo area as well as we can.

Thanks again for sharing your experience!

Kevin

Old 03-07-2021, 06:07 PM

2020 E450 Wagon
I've watched several Canvasback installation videos, but so far I haven't been able to find one that shows installation of the side or back panels. I noticed you had used the side panels in your X5, so I thought I'd ask you about that.

How do the side and rear panels attach?

if it uses adhesive strips to attach to trim pieces, are they removable from the car without damage to the vehicle?

thanks again for sharing your experience.

In a couple of months we'll be driving from Anchorage, Alaska to Indianapolis with our Mastiff and Newfoundland. We want to protect the the cargo area as well as we can.

Thanks again for sharing your experience!

Kevin
Hi Kevin,
Most vehicles need to use the adhesive strips for the side pieces to be attached. A few vehicles it attaches directly to the carpeted sides. The pics of the X5, those required using the adhesive strips which attach to the hard plastic area immediately above the carpeted sections one is trying to protect. In the three years I used them they never came loose so they are well secured, even with my male Greyhound who likes to lean up against the right side of the cargo area.

Regarding your question about how easily do the adhesive strips come off without damaging the vehicle? I don't know, I never tried removing them When my leased X5 wet back, I simply left the cargo liner in place as I had no need for it. I'm sure though, one would be able to use rubbing alcohol or Goo B Gone to remove any glue residue but I am not sure.

Good luck with your trip and drive safely. Once you get your cargo liner and it's in place please post some pics so I can see how it looks in the car. I won't be buying one until Dec when I sell my Golf wagon and then start using the E450 for the dogs.
Old 03-07-2021, 07:48 PM

Hi Kevin,
Most vehicles need to use the adhesive strips for the side pieces to be attached. A few vehicles it attaches directly to the carpeted sides. The pics of the X5, those required using the adhesive strips which attach to the hard plastic area immediately above the carpeted sections one is trying to protect. In the three years I used them they never came loose so they are well secured, even with my male Greyhound who likes to lean up against the right side of the cargo area.

Regarding your question about how easily do the adhesive strips come off without damaging the vehicle? I don't know, I never tried removing them When my leased X5 wet back, I simply left the cargo liner in place as I had no need for it. I'm sure though, one would be able to use rubbing alcohol or Goo B Gone to remove any glue residue but I am not sure.

Good luck with your trip and drive safely. Once you get your cargo liner and it's in place please post some pics so I can see how it looks in the car. I won't be buying one until Dec when I sell my Golf wagon and then start using the E450 for the dogs.
Thank you.

I'll post photos of whatever we end up with. We had something similar in our XC70. It's sides attached to a plastic frame which got permanently installed in the car. The idea of Velcro being the only thing keeping the liner in place while loading and unloading makes me a little nervous. The Volvo branded liner tended to bunch up if we slid something across it, so we added a Weathertech liner on top. Does the Canvasback liner stay put in that situation?

Old 03-07-2021, 07:59 PM

2020 E450 Wagon
Thank you.

I'll post photos of whatever we end up with. We had something similar in our XC70. It's sides attached to a plastic frame which got permanently installed in the car. The idea of Velcro being the only thing keeping the liner in place while loading and unloading makes me a little nervous. The Volvo branded liner tended to bunch up if we slid something across it, so we added a Weathertech liner on top. Does the Canvasback liner stay put in that situation?
Yes, remember its a little 'slippery' so loading anything in there it just slides over it and I never had the liner move in any of my vehicles. Two summers ago I went to Lowes to buy 14 bags of mulch and I loaded and unloaded them without issue. Once it's in place it stays there but one can easily remove it if it needs to be cleaned. One just has to make sure to line it back up correctly when putting it back in after cleaning. I wouldn't worry about this moving around at all.
Kevin T (03-07-2021)
Old 02-11-2022, 08:36 PM

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
This thread alerted me to Canvasback products

I was searching for cargo liner for my All Terrain wagon and Duck Duck Go came up with this thread. I immediately forgot about a simple rubber mat (old school!) and saw the advantages of this Canvasback companies custom high grade liners. I saw the garbage liners being sold on Amazon and found how superior Canvasback liners and attachments are.
I ordered the setup today and will post a photo after I install the liners.

Interestingly is that as a member of this site, I used the search feature for 'cargo liners' and 'cargo protection'. No results. But Duck Duck Go found this thread.
Thanks to this thread folks!
Old 02-11-2022, 10:53 PM

Received 269 Likes on 173 Posts

I had a Canvasback cargo liner in this X5 about 10 years ago for our two German Shepherds. For two subsequent Range Rovers and the upcoming All-Terrain (should have been built this week!) I am only using the factory accessory rubber mat and leaving the vertical surfaces unprotected.

The Canvasback liner wore OK; definitely straight into the trash after five years of use, but the canvas held up with only a few small tears. The issues were with the adhesive velcro strips. Perhaps the velcro on the liner will attach directly to Mercedes carpet...if it does, great...disregard the rest of this. It did not with the BMW. Over time (heat) the velcro would creep down the rear seatback carpet and the liner would no longer align with the seatbacks, making it cumbersome to split and fold them. Dog hair would accumulate on the sticky residue, making it no longer sticky, so there was adjusting and reapplying. In the end, dog hair accumulated behind the liner anyway, and with the liner, was much more difficult to vacuum up. And after taking it all out before selling the vehicle, there was nasty residue everywhere. Even with two big, hairy, and often wet, sandy, or dirty/muddy dogs, with the subsequent vehicles I found that they really don't make a mess of the vertical surfaces. Lots of hair stuck to the carpet for the car washer, but relatively easy to suck up and no issues with stains or odor with just the floor mat.

I will say that the Mercedes accessory mat, which I already bought, is disappointingly thin and flimsy compared to the thick and heavy Range Rover items.
Old 02-11-2022, 11:05 PM

2020 E450 Wagon
This is my Canvasback cargo liner in my 2018 X5 Diesel. As you can see it was fine after four years of two Greyhounds in Texas. Admittedly, was very infrequent when my two Greys were muddy. I left mine in the X5 when I sold it and bought my E450 wagon.

The only reason I don't have a Canvasback in my E450 wagon is because I love it so much and its perfect after a year so decided the wagon was off-limits to the dogs. I plan to keep my wagon indefinitely. I'm going to be buying a minivan as we have two Greyhounds and I want to adopt a third senior dog who at 11 she's never been adopted. I could not fit three Greys in the wagon anyway with luggage so a minivan seems the right 'tool' for the job.

Last edited by fleuger99; 02-11-2022 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-12-2022, 09:18 AM

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts
Mercedes E220d AMG Line Estate (S213) and Mercedes E220d AMG Line Cabriolet (A238)
I have a custom made cargo liner from a company in UK but i don't think they export. I do have an OEM rigid(ish) boot mat which is on top and although it is relatively non slip i have a cheap €5 non slip mat on top of that (dog prefers it).
Old 03-04-2022, 06:34 PM

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Canvasback on E450 All Terrain

I just installed the complete Canvasback cargo cover package for the 2022 E450 All Terrain. The only pieces I did not order were the side covers. I have the option to open the 3rd row seat. There are two photos. There is also a cover that protects the entire inside of the hatch.
The detail and quality construction is impressive. Canvasback is worth the premium price many times over. Each order is custom crafted exactly for your exact car model and options.
Support was also excellent.

Last edited by skytop; 03-04-2022 at 08:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by skytop:
fleuger99 (03-04-2022), TennesseeZ4 (03-05-2022)
Old 12-22-2022, 02:03 AM

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
2023 E450 AT wagon, and 2013 E350 coupe
I am wondering what liners/cargo protectors the OP ended up going with for his E450 AT wagon, and whether the others of you on this thread had found any other new alternatives in the time since your postings.

I too was looking at the canvasback to protect the carpet from our shedding dogs, though I did contact the company with some questions about the adhesive leaving a residue and whether the Velcro on the carpet might pull or cause fuzzing with removing and reinstalling. They said that they had not seen residue in their testing or hearing complaints from customers, though I would still think that with longterm use and hot temps there might be some as mentioned by AS in this thread. As to carpet “piling”, they said that with frequent removal some fuzzing of the carpet fibers would occur.

Realistically, our main need would be when we pack up the car to go to our place on the Oregon coast , in which case we pack cargo in the rear and lay out blankets for the dogs to lie on the lowered rear seats as they like to be close to us rather than in the far back. In this case, the Canvasback for the cargo floor and seat backs and the optional flap that flips over to protect the rear seat tops and headrests would do the trick. I guess I would not need to remove the velcro hooks from the carpet all that often, leaving the liner in place I suppose. And I wouldn’t need the side panels anyway.

I suppose the other option I am considering is the Weathertech liner for the cargo area for the majority of our daily usage, including putting a dog back there to ride to the vet, and simply tuck a protective waterproof liner to cover the rear seats and headrests when they are down and the dogs are on them for the ride to Oregon.

Anyway, interested to hear if there are any updates on this topic!
Old 01-15-2023, 05:31 PM

Anyone find a method of door protectors that work well? Don’t want to use adhesive, and not sure if the thin tabs that go between window and rain guard hold well or work in the All Terrain wagons.
Old 01-16-2023, 12:39 AM

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
E450 All Terrain
@Kevin_T I’m curious what, if anything, you ended up with. I’m going back and forth on whether to put anything in the back of our two day old E450 Wagon to protect from the dog. We have the carpet mat that came with the vehcile and usually have a dog blanket in the back, but feels like a more permanent solution would be helpful.

On the canvasback cover specifically, what experience do folks have with dogs getting a grip on that surface? Seems like its pretty slick and I could see them sliding around in tight turns or quick braking. I touched the brakes a little too hard yesterday in traffic and our dog slid on a blanket into the footwell with the seats folded down. He was fine, but I’d like him to have some more grip. (I know many will say doggo should be in a crate in the car, but it’s not going to happen).

Also, noticed you said you have a newf. We have a four month old Newfie puppy and pretty much bought the wagon so he could get in / out easier than our truck or an SUV.

Old 01-16-2023, 01:23 AM

In my case, I was looking for a cargo mat or “tray” for everyday protection for the cargo area when the rear seats were up, and didn’t want anything with a “lip” that would restrict pushing cargo forward when the rear seats were down. I just received an Exactmats black X Edition, laser cut to fit, and will be sticking it in there in the next few days. Will post photo and thoughts.

When we travel, with our previous MB wagons we put the rear seats down, place cargo in the rear and put the dogs on blankets on the lowered rear seat backs so they can be near us. But never really used protection in the previous wagons, and the dog hair and dirt showed and this E450 AT is just too nice for that.

I have been scouring the internet for dog protecting liners or hammocks that would work and also provide protection for the doors from scratching and dirt. I do not want to use adhesive velcro strips, and as related in my question above, I am not sure how well the door protectors with tabs between glass and doors work. There are countless liners and hammocks that protect the backs of the front seats, some with mesh so the dogs can see you and get air circulation, some cheap and some, like Orvis, more expensive. If I used a hammock style, I would just lay the main and back portion over the lowered rear seat backs. If a liner, I could extend it back over the cargo area as well if needed.

Still searching.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: S-213 Cargo Area Protection