E-Class (W213) 2016 - 2023

Rear vibration after going over a curb

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2021, 07:08 AM

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
E200, C250 CGI
Rear vibration after going over a curb

Yeh.. Its so unfortunate that this happened.
About 5 weeks ago, while making a left turn on a very narrow street, my rear left wheel went over a curb and it bent my 20" wheels. (at about a speed of 15 to 20km/hr)
It was a pretty hard hit and it's been vibrating on the rear left wheel ever since.
So I have gone to fix the bent wheel, rebalance it and also do a wheel alignment on all 4 wheels to cross that out of the way.
I've also swapped the rear right wheel (which is the good one) to the left and vice versa to rule out that the left bent wheel is fixed properly. (It is as I don't feel the vibration on the rear right.)

However, I am still feeling the vibration from the rear left. More noticeable over 50km/hr and constant vibration over that.
So after doing more research on this, I'm now thinking that I might have bent the flange and perhaps damaged the bearing.. Or worst case scenario, I have bent the axle shaft.

Now.. my question is.. I've seen some videos that the bearing can be adjusted? Is this true? Have any one got this done before?

And have anyone actually managed to fix the vibration just by replacing the bearing or the flange?

Last edited by joesama; 06-06-2021 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,967 Likes on 3,119 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Sounds like a damaged hub or wheel bearing. Unlikely the axle shaft is damaged because it has multiple degrees of freedom to move.

How is the tread wear? Does the vehicle pull to one side or another?

Changing the repaired wheel to the other side, and vibration remaining on the curb-struck side suggests hub or wheel bearing damage from the curb strike.

Old 06-07-2021, 04:36 AM

E200, C250 CGI
Yes.
My understanding from this is that, axle shaft is not the cause of this.
The vibration is coming from the end section of the rear left.

I've gone to speak to my dealership about this and they suggested that the axle shaft is not that easy to bend. Especially the rear ones.
Ive got it booked for them to have a look on this Friday, and I requested them to please focus on the bearing and the flange (Wheel hub) to see if they are bent.

It would be really interesting to see what sort of damage there is.
Quite unbelievable that it could cause this kind of issues with not so hard impact.

Old 06-08-2021, 08:07 AM

Received 110 Likes on 94 Posts
2021 M550i
i do not believe bent rims can be 100% fixed. but cant tell you that is the cause either.
Old 06-08-2021, 02:55 PM

E200, C250 CGI
Originally Posted by jhpmbusa
i do not believe bent rims can be 100% fixed. but cant tell you that is the cause either.
That is what I have heard as well. But I've gone and got it fixed.. and rechecked by a different independent shop to confirm its fixed.
And to further confirm that, I've swapped the good wheel from the right to left. I don't feel the vibs from the right.

Anyway, will get back on here after what I find from the dealer on Friday.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (06-08-2021)